Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Not sure where to put this. It wasn't today or yesterday. I was looking through family pics and it surfaced.

I've no idea what the car is. I think I took it in 1991. The owner, on the left, is a first cousin of Charlie Swan. His mother was a very good friend of my parents. The man on the right is my father. He was well known for his driving abilities. **** brought the car over from England for the summer. The old man took it away for an hour and had great fun with it. Minis were his specialty. God knows what he got up to in that yoke.

552964.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    No tax band returned - just says it's 95 Euro. So it's either classed as a Taxi...or a schoolbus!!!
    Don't mind the grinds. Running a Mercedes E220 limo as a school bus after school is away more lucrative.:pac:

Don't mind the grinds. Running a Mercedes E220 limo as a school bus after school is away more lucrative.:pac:

There's an 83 one of them being pulled out of a shed at the minute. Bought from an undertaker 7 or 8 yrs ago, Used once and Put away. Hopefully get a few pics tomorrow fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

sligojoek wrote: »
    Not sure where to put this. It wasn't today or yesterday. I was looking through family pics and it surfaced.

I've no idea what the car is. I think I took it in 1991. The owner, on the left, is a first cousin of Charlie Swan. His mother was a very good friend of my parents. The man on the right is my father. He was well known for his driving abilities. **** brought the car over from England for the summer. The old man took it away for an hour and had great fun with it. Minis were his specialty. God knows what he got up to in that yoke.

552964.jpg

Is that grille off a Singer Gazelle?

Interesting looking yoke. Something about the tyre size and exhaust makes me think it was running something bigger than the usual Pinto or whatever else went into most kit cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

^ or a Fraser Nash??
    There's a whiff of 1930s BMW off that grill.
    can't embed pics at present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

It has the smack of a merlin kit car off it. The thing is though, the 70s, 80s and early 90s were the heyday of kit car manufacturing in the UK. Every back street had one, and every car made was individual, with an infinite choice of engines/grilles etc, so as a result it's very difficult to pin a car like that down. There are various kitcar clubs in the UK, I think there's a big one in Kent, they could probably steer you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Spotted this Golf the other day, very clean...

552990.jpg

552991.jpg

My niece very kindly took these photos for me in Coolock the other day

51179128565_78d7059f3b_z.jpg

51178035426_03f03ddcba_z.jpg

I spoke to the owner of this a few years ago, a tidy low mileage example but well used everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

A couple of fine spots in Islandbridge Wednesday morning:

552999.jpg

553000.jpg

I'm sure that Capri is one of the most photographed on here.

MR2 has been sitting a while. First time I had a chance to take a photo of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Is that grille off a Singer Gazelle?

Interesting looking yoke. Something about the tyre size and exhaust makes me think it was running something bigger than the usual Pinto or whatever else went into most kit cars.

I think they were a " Cougar" if I remember right.
    Sold in the late 80's and early 90's, usually designed to have Jaguar running gear.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I think they were a " Cougar" if I remember right.
    Sold in the late 80's and early 90's, usually designed to have Jaguar running gear.

Jaguar running gear is exactly what I was thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

GeneHunt wrote: »
    Spotted this Golf the other day, very clean...

552990.jpg

552991.jpg
    The VW badge on the back is upside down lol and in a weird spot.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

AMKC wrote: »

Did that spell out something a while back, there's three other holes beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

sligojoek wrote: »

552964.jpg

https://www.conceptcarz.com/z21101/Jaguar-Kougar.aspx

Might be one of these, as Nekarsulm suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yep its a Kougar. The 'F' plate is bang on period also.

What an interesting thing!

From the other side.

553045.jpg

Ms

beertons wrote: »

Must have and there is two holes the other side too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Well SNY3F comes up as a green jaguar, so that fits.
    Looks like it was crashed in 93 and extensively repaired in 2004. No record since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

beertons wrote: »
    Usually VOLKSWAGEN on the left and GOLF and spec (CL, GTI etc), on the right i think. Round badge should be on the extreme left.

piP1heWe4wUUsh5JcQkvOJ0L6oEYyqSGpvOu_-Cxwir01ypjXFd6EmM8fxg_ISrrJ1VZbEOcUC6fyt1NOX3fyzVQLXpG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

So when they flip it after driving into a ditch after a feed of pints it will be the right way around

• Advertisement

Bought a couple of "investments" recently with my father, and one of them was this early Boxster. Registered 1st of August 97.

51179207678_6673409499_c.jpg

Ms

Bought a couple of "investments" recently with my father, and one of them was this early Boxster. Registered 1st of August 97.

51179207678_6673409499_c.jpg

Nice.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

553240.jpg

Another south Tipp regular

recently in north Wicklow..
    these Meganes are really thinning out

553308.jpg

553309.jpg

553310.jpg

posted these in the Classics section but thought they are worth seeing here too -

553314.jpg

553315.jpg

Ms

tc20 wrote: »
    recently in north Wicklow..
    these Meganes are really thinning out

553308.jpg

Stop

A classic that. We had ours in blue RT spec. 15 thousand pounds it cost. I hope/wish someone would store one or two away. They will be a classic in 6 years time.

Looks in decent condition that one. Just missing some hupcaps.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A classic that. We had ours in blue RT spec. 15 thousand pounds it cost. I hope/wish someone would store one or two away. They will be a classic in 6 years time.

Looks in decent condition that one. Just missing some hupcaps.
    There was a very low mileage one for sale in Westmeath recently. Looked in super condition outwardly but based on some comments in this forum it may not have been as good as it looked.

I have not seen a mk1, phase 1 Megane on the road for at least 2 years and the phase 2 is disappearing fast now too. These cars are very rust resistant, much better than a Focus in that regard, engines and gearboxes last well too. They get scrapped because of age, poor maintenance and because nobody gives a sh*t about them while Corollas, Focii, Golfs, Civics etc. all have a following. Hardly a day goes by when I don't see a 97-01 Corolla on the roads, some days I'd see several.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Garzard

Supervalu Knocklyon this evening

553360.jpg

Ms

BrianD3 wrote: »
    There was a very low mileage one for sale in Westmeath recently. Looked in super condition outwardly but based on some comments in this forum it may not have been as good as it looked.

I have not seen a mk1, phase 1 Megane on the road for at least 2 years and the phase 2 is disappearing fast now too. These cars are very rust resistant, much better than a Focus in that regard, engines and gearboxes last well too. They get scrapped because of age, poor maintenance and because nobody gives a sh*t about them while Corollas, Focii, Golfs, Civics etc. all have a following. Hardly a day goes by when I don't see a 97-01 Corolla on the roads, some days I'd see several.
    I doubt it is because nobody cares I would say it is more the reputation that people have heard that Toyota's and Honda's last and not heard that of the Megane unfortunately. Not that many MK I Focus on the roads now either.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

tc20 wrote: »
    posted these in the Classics section but thought they are worth seeing here too -

553314.jpg

That Alfa GT is beautiful.

Advertisement