Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Best of Bavaria before the bean counters turned it all to crap

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

Beautiful Corrolla last evening out in the sun. Credit to owner inside & out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Compact Mitsubishi Jeep going strong
    Can't beat the Jap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭noelf

Out and about Drogheda yesterday missed getting photos of a 1990’s 8 series BMW and a Fiat Abarth 😩 but I got this ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I miss the Daihatsu brand.

At their peak they offered cost effective reliable motoring.

The failure to develop the Fourtrack etc into something more modern seems a huge missed opportunity when we see what Suzuki have done with Jimny recently.

The Jimny of today isn't far away in terms of styling from how a modern Fourtrack might look like.

Everyone bangs on about turbo 1 litre 3 cylinders.

Daihatsu were at 1 litre 3 cylinder turbocharged engines 30 years ago.

Anyway carry on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 OPollo

robbiew wrote: »
    El Camino in Midleton.

Don't know the year, but she one sexy bheast.. :D

Thanks for the kind words :)
    Shes 68, Sbc 350 and TH350 tranny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Old diesel wrote: »
    I miss the Daihatsu brand.

At their peak they offered cost effective reliable motoring.

The failure to develop the Fourtrack etc into something more modern seems a huge missed opportunity when we see what Suzuki have done with Jimny recently.

The Jimny of today isn't far away in terms of styling from how a modern Fourtrack might look like.

Everyone bangs on about turbo 1 litre 3 cylinders.

Daihatsu were at 1 litre 3 cylinder turbocharged engines 30 years ago.

Anyway carry on. :)

When Toyota took a controlling share in Daihatsu, the writing was on the wall for the Fourtrak and the Sportrak.
    Who needs competition within the group for the best selling Landcruiser and Rav4?
    Rust killed off most Fourtraks in this country, the mechanicals were excellent.
    (PS, pulled up beside a brand new Rav4 yesterday, and they are huge.
    Bigger than the mid 90's Landcruiser, at this stage)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Nenagh
    Q6JwEok.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam
    Cnd8S46.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

m17 wrote: »
    Tuam
    *Peugeot 406 pic*
    Always thought those Pug Pininfarinas were a very handsome car.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That blue is the colour to have one in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I seen 3 E30 Bmw's today, one convertible with 2 kids in the back, a black coupe and a red coupe. All in under one hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 OPollo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    When Toyota took a controlling share in Daihatsu, the writing was on the wall for the Fourtrak and the Sportrak.
    Who needs competition within the group for the best selling Landcruiser and Rav4?
    Rust killed off most Fourtraks in this country, the mechanicals were excellent.
    (PS, pulled up beside a brand new Rav4 yesterday, and they are huge.
    Bigger than the mid 90's Landcruiser, at this stage)

While the Landcruiser and Trooper were excellent off road vehicles the Fourtrack was a notch above them for travelling on soft ground due to its lighter weight. You were much less likely to get bogged down with one. I just know that from speaking to a few farmers/ farm labourer type guys over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, up our way (Cavan Fermanagh border) the Fourtrak is the tool of choice for a fraternity of lads who like to go trialling/mud plugging up the mountains.
    Rear bodywork cut off to bobtail them, chassis cut off at the rear spring hangers and a roll cage welded in.
    Add the most aggressive tyres you can afford and a racing harness and awsy you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nice e30
    08-DCD59-F-4-E91-4894-8-BAB-0-E3125440715.jpg

Posting this here as well as in the classic thread because it is actually a daily driver around Dublin and in very long term ownership (same owner since 1987)

48161669037_edf8f06f1b_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

207ZgWk.jpg
    Saw this on my way home. Haven't seen this soft of car in a while!

Google says it's a "Pre-facelift Mk2 Granada 2.8i GLS Estate".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Posting this here as well as in the classic thread because it is actually a daily driver around Dublin and in very long term ownership (same owner since 1987)

48161669037_edf8f06f1b_c.jpg

Stunner !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Currently over in France and the amount of cars on the road here that I could put in this thread would fill it. Loads of Renault 5’s,19’s,21’s and Twingos along with heaps of Older Citroen’s that are almost extinct at home ie AX,BX,2CV, Xantias I even passed an old Citroen GS Safari today which seemed like it was in daily use. Plenty of Peugeot 205s still going here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

And I'll bet not one of them has been refused insurance for being more than 10 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

You get a discount in France if you run an old car as a second car , anything over 10 years old. I paid €175 per year to run an 89 Renault 19 as a second car. No issues what so ever with old cars in France, no road tax either it’s on the fuel, or was at least when I left. Don’t know about now. Loads of decent old daily drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Currently over in France and the amount of cars on the road here that I could put in this thread would fill it. Loads of Renault 5’s,19’s,21’s and Twingos along with heaps of Older Citroen’s that are almost extinct at home ie AX,BX,2CV, Xantias I even passed an old Citroen GS Safari today which seemed like it was in daily use. Plenty of Peugeot 205s still going here too.
    I have a good few to upload, from trip to France last week.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Polo has appeared in this thread many times and I see it a lot on the road around my way. I've never seen the Mazda out and about before but I could have bought it months ago for €100! Good to see it up and running. Both in Howth this afternoon

48171437307_99bc8d463d_c.jpg

48171359381_1bba77d844_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Those Mazdas were actually huge inside.

484178.jpg

Always had a soft spot for the older Celicas

Vielles Voitures Part 1 of 4 en France, last week.

Vielles Voitures Part 2 of 4 en France, last week.

Vielles Voitures Part 3 of 4 en France, last week.

• Advertisement

Vielles Voitures Part 4 of 4 en France, last week.

Advertisement