Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭MrCostington

In work this morning, East Wall

micra.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I saw a 1987 Opel Kadett only yesterday - Not a restored one but one that the owner thought, "I'll drive it till it stops working and then I will get a new car" - Little did this elderly gentleman think that 32 years later, this little car would still be running - Barely though, it was in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Currently over in France and the amount of cars on the road here that I could put in this thread would fill it. Loads of Renault 5’s,19’s,21’s and Twingos along with heaps of Older Citroen’s that are almost extinct at home ie AX,BX,2CV, Xantias I even passed an old Citroen GS Safari today which seemed like it was in daily use. Plenty of Peugeot 205s still going here too.

I used to have a place in rural France and most of the cars were all very old. The French mentality is a car is simply to get from A to B - They simply don't care about getting a new car every few years to show off to their mates!!

If the 30 year old Peugeot 205 still runs, then why sell it? It's a refreshing mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

The Irish like shiney new things with all the bells and whistles in the last 20 years....... We've scrapped or exported most of our older stuff we should be holding on to. Bout 15 years ago i seen 3 90's Starlets lined up in the back yard of a Toyota dealer, when i enquired about buying them i was told they are going for scrap... Brought a tear to my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Oops! wrote: »
    The Irish like shiney new things with all the bells and whistles in the last 20 years....... We've scrapped or exported most of our older stuff we should be holding on to. Bout 15 years ago i seen 3 90's Starlets lined up in the back yard of a Toyota dealer, when i enquired about buying them i was told they are going for scrap... Brought a tear to my eye.

True, but also our insurance has a lot to do with it too.

• Advertisement

Certainly have a lot to answer for alright.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,765 ✭✭✭✭elperello

And strangely enough a lot of the insurance companies are the same ones that happily cover 20 year old cars in France, Spain etc.

I've said it before and i'll say it again.... 2 words, legal system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Oops! wrote: »

True, but also our insurance has a lot to do with it too.

It predates the current insurance nonsense and in fact id argue it's why the insurance companies thought they would get away with the age restrictions.

The NCT was a driver of this but the mindset was kicking in before that.

I blame the Mk 1 Punto myself for making it easier to change the 12 year old banger to a new car.

The Punto was a very tempting financial package with Fiats open book pricing.

The old Fiat rust thing was overcome with all the talk of galvanised steel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

A friend if mine bought his current car (Honda civic) when he retired early at 52.

He still has it.

He is 86 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have my old cars, that I make shiney! Its the best of both worlds! A collection of 20+ - 40+ year old cars, and some of them are in better condition then alot of 3-5 year old cars (and probably better maintained!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Daily driver in KK.

Another angle

Yesterday in kk.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 c_murph

Yesterday in kk.

I saw a Polish reg Lada with a similar load of stickers on it on Harcourt Road in Dublin yesterday.

c_murph wrote: »
    I saw a Polish reg Lada with a similar load of stickers on it on Harcourt Road in Dublin yesterday.

Yeah,as I was driving out of that carpark I saw another one. White with a roof box. They must be here for a rally or something. Fair play to them. Great to see...
    The cnut's that run this place do their best to ensure that we scrap anything over 10 years old !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

20190703-134227.jpg
    20190703-134207.jpg
    20190703-134236.jpg
    20190703-134244.jpg
    20190703-134301.jpg
    20190703-134252.jpg

Anyone spot what I think might be the owner giving me the evils?

evils5.jpg
    evils6.jpg
    evils7.jpg
    evils9.jpg

:P

Drinking wine, parked on a double yellow??

Parked... more like stopped in the middle of the lane TBH

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Im trying to remember if thats the same car I saw in Palmerstown yesterday. Will need to check the dashcam!

This takes the biscuit. Saw it a few minutes ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I saw one covered in stickers in Ballymount half an hour ago too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

https://zlombol.pl/english-menu/zlombol-2019

Charity rally that takes place every year and covers about 2,500km with the following rules:

Only cars manufactured in the former Eastern Bloc (so-called countries of people's democracy ), or produced after the system transformation from 1989, but designed in the previous system , are admitted to take off . According to the original rules, the car should be bought for less than PLN 1000 [9] , but currently this rule is only a "good habit" and is not required. It is allowed to modify vehicles, including engine replacement (SWAP) , but they must be allowed to travel on public roads . Crews on the way to the finish line move in small groups of several cars, or individually (at the discretion of the crews). Each team decides by themselves what routes it is going to the destination, there is no single, determined top-down route. After reaching the finish line indicated by the organizers, the crews return to their country on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bluenose1956

I was on the P&O ferry from Liverpool to Dublin on Tuesday (daytime sailing) and there were 7 or 8 of those Polish charity run cars plus a couple of commercial vans. No pictures, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Northpoint NCT centre earlier on today

48197159526_267ab7d610_c.jpg

It passed!

It passed!
    With a 1961 registration number!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Even the NCT guys are afraid to fail Martin Cahill's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

elperello wrote: »
    It passed!
    With a 1961 registration number!

It's a 1984 reg.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    It's a 1984 reg.

It's a 77-78 reg. the wrong way round. Should read 618 NZC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Its NZG 618

• Advertisement

Its NZG 618

My next post will be sponsored by Specsavers :)

Advertisement