Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 UpintheAir1

lots of old minis operating in italy also

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

morris minor

Were you in Tenters/Blackpitts?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Se84h9c.jpg

9jzs4Pc.jpg

fenN1DU.jpg

Citreon CX D (possibly ex-ambulance)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Se84h9c.jpg

9jzs4Pc.jpg

fenN1DU.jpg

She’s an ex ghostbuster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Se84h9c.jpg

9jzs4Pc.jpg

fenN1DU.jpg

Yup agreed on the ex ambulance bit.

My first thought on seeing the roof extension.

As a general aside - Ambulances built on a car base (as opposed to Mercedes Sprinter/Ford Transit) seems a common enough tradition in continental European countries.

You will find Volvo V70, Merc E class etc as ambulances.

Back in the day when Volvo were getting big into selling T5s to UK police as traffic cop chariots they were looking to sell V90* and S80 based ambos to UK ambulance trusts.

But they never got going with them.

*the old 960 in final form was called S and V90 to come in line with the Volvo new model naming set up in mid to late 90s - as in S/V40, S/C/V70 and S80 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

What year would that Citreon be?

Old diesel wrote: »
    As a general aside - Ambulances built on a car base (as opposed to Mercedes Sprinter/Ford Transit) seems a common enough tradition in continental European countries.

You will find Volvo V70, Merc E class etc as ambulances.

Back in the day when Volvo were getting big into selling T5s to UK police as traffic cop chariots they were looking to sell V90* and S80 based ambos to UK ambulance trusts.

But they never got going with them.

*the old 960 in final form was called S and V90 to come in line with the Volvo new model naming set up in mid to late 90s - as in S/V40, S/C/V70 and S80 etc.

And its exactly the "aside" why I love this thread.

Outside of W124 and Duke's horns for auld metal of course. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

sligojoek wrote: »
    What year would that Citreon be?
    German number plates don't appear to indicate the age of the car (at least from some cursory googling).
    I would guess that this car is mid 80's just from the look of it in person. The build quality, styling, the lack of head rests and the way it's been worn would suggest that it's older than a 90's car even. I've attached the full-size pic of the back of the car where the make and model has been partially worn away with time/usage. I didn't look inside the car (that would be a bit too nosy) but did notice that the car seats all have covers on them which may suggest that they are well worn. The seat covers even seemed old - reminded me of a those fluffy ones my dad had in his car in the 80s.
    Fair play to whoever drove it from Germany. They must have full confidence that it would not break down.

• Advertisement

The early CXs had chrome around the windows.

That one has black.

I suspect it's a 1980 to 85 car as they changed the bumpers in 1985 as part of a facelift

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Two Mercs from a couple of weeks ago. The 300SE looked very graceful going around corners after that but I wasn't able to take any more pics. Not great quality pics as I later discovered the camera was on macro settings that day.

478438.jpg

478439.jpg

478440.jpg

478441.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

20190422-191855.jpg

Generation gap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

recent sightings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

That datsun is incredible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Also loving the Datsun

Yup. All over the Datsun

Always had a weird soft spot for these and their particular brand of weirdness.

Hated the face-lifted version.

01 multipla

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Always had a weird soft spot for these and their particular brand of weirdness.

Hated the face-lifted version.

01 multipla

I was offered a free one a few weeks ago!

I was offered a free one a few weeks ago!

Exsqueeze me?

• Advertisement

Exsqueeze me?

A diesel wheelchair adapted one, with a snapped timing belt. You're welcome to it if you want it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Sorry for the poor photos. This Tipo really looked like it just came through a time portal.

IMG-20190426-224254.jpg

IMG-20190426-224433.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Great spot. Think it was on here before.

I have seen that Tipo around Coolock in the recent past with a young driver behind the wheel. However I used to see it around the wider north Dublin area (Coolock/Artane/Raheny/Santry/Ballymun on various occasions) with an older driver at the wheel, so I can only presume they have given up driving altogether or just given up their trusty Tipo. Good to see that its obviously in enthusiastic or at least sympathetic hands anyway. I saw it in Ikea a few years ago and it had 260k miles on the clock then.

Any excuse is a good excuse to post my old one, which I miss dearly!

47659099852_9458f735d8_c.jpg

I remember thinking the Tipo was the greatest thing ever when 11/12* year old me was let sit in the drivers seat of a 1989 example in 1989.

Was only a few weeks old with less then 1000 miles on the clock.

New car smell present and correct.

I VERY quick moved my desired car top pick to the Citroen BX months later when a Citroen BX brochure arrived into my hands.

Fickle I very much was.

In 1990 the P10 Primera was THE car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I have seen that Tipo around Coolock in the recent past with a young driver behind the wheel. However I used to see it around the wider north Dublin area (Coolock/Artane/Raheny/Santry/Ballymun on various occasions) with an older driver at the wheel, so I can only presume they have given up driving altogether or just given up their trusty Tipo. Good to see that its obviously in enthusiastic or at least sympathetic hands anyway. I saw it in Ikea a few years ago and it had 260k miles on the clock then.

Any excuse is a good excuse to post my old one, which I miss dearly!

Got the impression the original driver was at the wheel. Without wanting to speculate on people's family situation, it looked like there was a very happy family group in the car. I suspect that vehicle will be enjoyed and appreciated by multiple generations for some time to come.

260k miles is amazing. Must be a well maintained vehicle.

Very glad to learn a bit more about that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Taken on a city bus. Nissan Cherry Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam
    4dluTJU.jpg

HFOWjj9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Triumph Spitfire yesterday evening in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Wonderful reg number.

Advertisement