Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco wrong pricing..... AGAIN!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

Go in and buy the special offers, give them a €20 each time and you'll probably get €46.04 and €60 change.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged with older thread on this topic. OP this has been discussed many times here before.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I appreciate that Tesco offer the difference "if you spot the error", but how many people are going to check their receipt against the advertised price of about 100 products in their trolley? Are we expected to take a photo of the prices and products before taking them to the till? The policy should be changed from a "refund of the difference, if spotted", to "you get the price paid refunded". They would make less errors then.

I had this problem in a large pet shop in North Dublin last week. I was buying some fish for my tropical aquarium and my pond. The prices were written in black marker on the fish tanks. Specifically, I asked for:

10 mollies @ 5 for €10 (total €20)
    3 yellow Gold Fish @ €3 each (total €9)
    1 large Gold fish @€;3 each (total €3)
    Total = €32

The prices were written on the bag when I went to the till. I didn't even look at the price, or bother to do the basic maths in my head, trusting that the price was written on the bag. I was charged €39 and didn't realise until I got home. The larger Gold Fish was charged at €10. They are usually €5 at another pet shop I visit, but I figured €3 was a good price. There could have been no confusion, as there were 5 of these larger 4-5 inches gold fish in on tank and only one price was written on the tank. That's a significant over charge. The hassle for the sake of €7 wouldn't be worth my while, but I simply won't shop there again. I made the bigger mistake by not checking the price on the bag, but I have no idea where the guy got €10 from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yeleek

Visited Tesco Tullamore last week. Decided to use my Dunnes Stores vouchers as they accept competitors vouchers. Spent €211 got a €34 discount because I spent more than €170. On leaving the store I discovered they charged me €5.93 each for Tayto crisps ( I bought 2 packets) they having displayed a special offer price of of €2.50 per pack. I also bought Kellogs Rice Crispies price displayed €2.50 they charged me €4.99 Called the attention of the manager was given a refund of €23.16 I outlined my disgust at their pricing policy. I explained I thought it akin to them stealing from my wallet. Next morning I visited the store again - bought a 20 pack bag of Tayto Crisps ( same product as the night before) and guess what? the same over charge €5.93 instead of the displayed price of €3.50 I have pictures of the prices displayed as well as receipts to prove all this. This happened in spite of me bringing their overcharge policy to their attention the night before.

Asked to speak to the manager as I tried to outline my complaint he gestured impatiently with his hands and said "get to the point" . I outlined his dismal approach to customer service. I telephoned Tesco made a complaint and have been told the staff are being retrained - no wonder they can be so <SNIP> with their pricing policy.

Lesson - Tesco inviting you to come into their store to use competitors vouchers is an utter gimic - it is an invitation from them to <SNIP> you. BE WARNED!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And they gave you €34 discount on Dunne's vouchers? Hardly a rip off. I don't shop in tesco but may do if I can use my Dunne's vouchers there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

yeleek wrote: »
    Visited Tesco Tullamore last week. Decided to use my Dunnes Stores vouchers as they accept competitors vouchers. Spent €211 got a €34 discount because I spent more than €170. On leaving the store I discovered they charged me €5.93 each for Tayto crisps ( I bought 2 packets) they having displayed a special offer price of of €2.50 per pack. I also bought Kellogs Rice Crispies price displayed €2.50 they charged me €4.99 Called the attention of the manager was given a refund of €23.16 I outlined my disgust at their pricing policy. I explained I thought it akin to them stealing from my wallet. Next morning I visited the store again - bought a 20 pack bag of Tayto Crisps ( same product as the night before) and guess what? the same over charge €5.93 instead of the displayed price of €3.50 I have pictures of the prices displayed as well as receipts to prove all this. This happened in spite of me bringing their overcharge policy to their attention the night before.

Asked to speak to the manager as I tried to outline my complaint he gestured impatiently with his hands and said "get to the point" . I outlined his dismal approach to customer service. I telephoned Tesco made a complaint and have been told the staff are being retrained - no wonder they can be so <SNIP> with their pricing policy.

Lesson - Tesco inviting you to come into their store to use competitors vouchers is an utter gimic - it is an invitation from them to <SNIP> you. BE WARNED!!!!!!!!!

yet they did apply double the difference policy .. so even tho there was some inconvience for you, you did get it much much cheaper than even advertised (and wrong) price. If I was in your shoes, I would be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

198321 wrote: »
    If I was in your shoes, I would be happy.
    Should be moved to bargain alerts!

He mentioned its tullamore which is helpful, I wish mine were as lax at updating mistakes. I could clean them out -and I would not feel too guilty about it, their misprices are due to them not employing staff to do it properly, they are in effect getting cheap labour from the public to highlight the mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

yeleek wrote: »

Thats a lot of crisps to be eating. Lesson - Eat less crisps and youll save money.

You were given discount with another stores vouchers and they rectified the situation giving you more money off. There may have been staffing reasons as to why they hadnt changed the price.

It's exactly the reason I always check my receipts to make sure the prices are correct .
    Also the reason I do all my tesco shopping online.
    It's not often I find mistakes in Tesco in Naas though. When I do I make full use of the double the difference refund and am happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

interesting.. would this apply so to my regular wine I wonder? Twice now Ive got a bottle of it brought it to checkout as its advertised as €12 special where its usally €14.99 but each time theyve scanned it as the full €15 and Ive just said no thanks and left it back. its bad enough that it was always €11 and the jump is huge....

• Advertisement

snowgal wrote: »
    scanned it as the full €15 and Ive just said no thanks and left it back.
    In all cases I have heard you have to buy the item and then complain to get their policy to work. If you complain before hand they might charge you the advertised price but you will not get the double the difference back.

It varies from store to store, some managers refuse it, I think I saw some who only give double the difference on one of your items -so you could not buy 20 bottles of wine and clean them out.

If the manager did refuse it you should at least be able to get your money back.

I frequently get charged incorrectly and do not bother complaining, the new policy is not worth my while. You have to go to the customers service desk which often has massive queues as people go up with small baskets, or do lotto or are getting smokes. It could take 5-10mins to get a few coins, and even then you might not get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It's exactly the reason I always check my receipts to make sure the prices are correct .
    Also the reason I do all my tesco shopping online.
    It's not often I find mistakes in Tesco in Naas though. When I do I make full use of the double the difference refund and am happy.

Careful with your online shopping as what they advertise is not always what they deliver!

I have had several issues with pork chops weighing much less than advertised as well as carrots and easy peelers also weighing in at much less than advertised! These are not substitutions but falsely advertising the weight of items to sell more! the most recent was advertising 600gram pack of chops which was actually only 435g pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ordin73

Could any one point me to anywhere Tesco states its Double the difference policy...I tried to make a point of it when I was overcharged for bottled water..However the CS agent I met would only refund the difference and I could find no reference to it in the store.:mad:

Ordin73 wrote: »
    Could any one point me to anywhere Tesco states its Double the difference policy...I tried to make a point of it when I was overcharged for bottled water..However the CS agent I met would only refund the difference and I could find no reference to it in the store.:mad:

Depends on the store but it's on the big blue Tesco Promise board behind the CS desk. It's the very last listed item so may be obscured by articles accidentally left in front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

In newer stores it is beside the pictures of the managers on the wall at CS.

Thanks for the replies :) I will just have to go in and try and see if I can find it...as a matter of interest do you know if its MENT to be there because I have a feeling that there WAS a sign and it MAY have been misplaced :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/TescoIreland/posts/647650515320922
    Geraldine McCarthy‎Tesco Ireland
    May 17 ·
    Can you tell me what Tesco's policy on overcharging is, please?
    LikeLike · · Share

Tesco Ireland Hi Geraldine,

This would depend on the circumstance of being overcharged, for instance, if it was our fault we would refund double the difference. If a label has been miss read we would not.

Kind Regards
    Chris - Customer Care
    May 18 at 11:19am · Like · 1

Tesco Ireland Hi Lynda,

I'm really sorry that you were not given a double the difference refund this should have happened. Can you let me know what store this happened in, the time & provide me with a description of my colleague that served you?

Can you also send me a private message with your full home address? You can do this by clicking on the 'Message' tab next to the 'Like' tab under our cover photo.

Thank you,

Clare - Customer Care
    May 20 at 4:35pm · Like · 1

Jaimy Mathew Njarakulathu why r u charging 70 cents more for
    Cow And Gate First Infant Milk 900G than others stores like dunnes,supervalue ,tesco price 11.49 ,dunnes price10.79 .On 20th at tallaght ,in rack it shows price as 10.79 and billed me 11.49.
    May 29 at 12:05pm · Like

Tesco Ireland Hi Jaimy,

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

I'm really sorry that you are unhappy with the price we are selling this product at and I can completely understand your concerns here. We've never promised to undercut the prices charged by other retailers.

We aim to be as competitive as possible and it has always been our policy to offer good value to our customers, selling quality products at the most reasonable prices. Our buyers work extremely hard to negotiate the best prices possible and price reductions are passed on to our customers immediately.

It can be slightly misleading to look at the prices of a few selected items and, in general, our prices are considered to be amongst the lowest in the country. We strive to provide our customers with quality, choice, convenience, a pleasant shopping environment, constant promotional activity, highly trained staff and a world class service.

Our Clubcard loyalty scheme is the best there is, offering our customers discounts on their shopping, partnership promotions and, of course, our excellent Clubcard Deals.

Therefore, we do feel that although the occasional product may perhaps be purchased slightly cheaper elsewhere, our overall service to our customers is second to none.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Clare - Customer Care
    May 29 at 1:18pm · Like

https://www.facebook.com/TescoIreland/posts/648893335196640
    Lynda Angel‎Tesco Ireland
    May 20 ·
    "Tesco Ireland,
    This would depend on the circumstance of being overcharged, for instance, if it was our fault we would refund double the difference. If a label has been miss read we would not. Kind Regards
    Chris - Customer Care" this is incorrect I got Lego small cottage today in Swinford and was charged 27.99 when label said 13.99 all I got back was the 14 euro so they in reality do not double the difference and Ive got the receipt to prove it
    LikeLike · · Share
    Deamented Roudy likes this.

Lynda Angel At least Dunnes Stores honors this
    May 20 at 4:29pm · Like

Tesco Ireland Hi Lynda,

I'm really sorry that you were not given a double the difference refund this should have happened. Can you let me know when you were in the store, the time & provide me with a description of my colleague that served you?

Can you also send me a private message with your full home address? You can do this by clicking on the 'Message' tab next to the 'Like' tab under our cover photo.

Thank you,

Clare - Customer Care
    May 20 at 4:35pm · Like

Lynda Angel Hi Clare sent you a pm now thanks
    May 20 at 5:05pm · Like

Tesco Ireland Hi Lynda,

Thanks for this information, do you know when you will be in store next?...See More
    May 20 at 8:25pm · Like

Lynda Angel Hi Carmello I can go into the store tomorrow
    May 20 at 8:59pm · Like

Tesco Ireland Hi Lynda,

That's great, do you know what time around this might be?
    Also it is the Swinford store you'll be going to is it?

Many Thanks
    Carmello - Customer Care
    May 20 at 9:27pm · Like

Tesco Ireland Hi Lynda,

I'm sorry but you would need to go back to the Swinford store if they're the ones that overcharged you....See More
    May 20 at 10:13pm · Like

Lynda Angel Hi Carmello, I can be in Swinford around 12 tomorrow, thanks
    May 20 at 10:36pm · Like

Tesco Ireland Hi Lynda,

That's great, please take your receipt back to the Customer Service Desk so they can arrange this for you.

Many Thanks
    Carmello Customer Care
    May 20 at 11:03pm · Like

Lynda Angel Ok thanks very much Carmello, you have been very helpful. I will send you a message tomorrow after it is completed, thanks
    May 20 at 11:13pm · Like

Lynda Angel Hi you had not called the store beforehand there was no reason to come at a specific time a very poor experience
    May 21 at 1:10pm · Edited · Like
    Ciara MC McCormack Double the difference!!! You keep changing your policy and many stores don't even follow your policy. I bought an item that was marked at 60c it was a €1 at the till and I only got the difference back not double.
    July 19 at 3:10pm · Like

Tesco Ireland Hi Ciara,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and bring this to our attention.

I'm very sorry you didn't receive a double the difference refund when you were overcharged recently. I appreciate how annoyed you must be.

You're correct that my colleagues don't seem to be following Tesco Policy and I'd very much like to get this addressed so we can stop it from happening. Please can you let me know which store you were shopping in?

Also, please can you send me a private message with your email address, full name and address details? You can do this by clicking on the 'Message' tab next to the 'Like' tab under our cover photo.

Once I receive these details I can get in touch with the store and send you a Moneycard to cover the difference you should've received.

Kind regards
    Leah - Customer Care
    July 19 at 4:35pm · Like · 1

THANK YOU Rubadub!! that was exactly what I was looking For ! Now all I have to do is make them pay LOL!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

^^^, that a bit of a disaster.

Imagine being told if you return to the store it will all be sorted, and then you return to the store and no one knows anything about it, I'd be fuming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Beware when buying meat in your shop if you're getting it delivered or for collection. For the past three collection shops I've done, I've purchased chicken which price/weight ratio I calculated as good value - when I go to pick up shopping, the chicken they've given me is missing about 200g from the weight, and they're still charging me the original price. This has happened 3 consecutive times... and has not seemed to happen with any beef products I've bought.

I emailed Tesco for the last two times, and again today (after just collecting my shopping), with photo of product I received versus what is on my grocery list. They refunded me the entire price for the original 2 chickens I bought in previous orders... just waiting to see if they'll do the same with this order.

Just be sure to double-check your groceries when you're putting them away at home to ensure that the weight you paid for is the weight you're given!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

So sick of Tesco.
    Had deserted them recently (because of Dunnes e25, e5 back offering & incorrect pricing) but went in today. Bought a number of items and when I got to the car, I checked my receipt to see, surprise, surprise that I had been charged wrongly (again). It's getting ridiculous. This NEVER happens in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

honeybear wrote: »
    So sick of Tesco.
    Had deserted them recently (because of Dunnes e25, e5 back offering & incorrect pricing) but went in today. Bought a number of items and when I got to the car, I checked my receipt to see, surprise, surprise that I had been charged wrongly (again). It's getting ridiculous. This NEVER happens in Lidl.
    Have you ever complained in the store in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into larger thread.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Have you ever complained in the store in question?
    numerous occasions....quite embarrassing as I know the girl in customer service! I'm not cross with her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Just bought a 12 pack of Whiskas cat food which was advertised on special offer at €8 only to discover after leaving the store that I was actually charged € 11.89 :mad: :mad: :mad: Went back in to complain but the cashier was blasé and just gave me the €3.89 difference back without apology or explanation. How in the name of jaysus are tesco getting away with this time after time after time :confused:

Tesco (at least a few years ago) had a price promise where if they charge you the wrong amount you get the item for free. I'd go investigating.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dermighty wrote: »
    Tesco (at least a few years ago) had a price promise where if they charge you the wrong amount you get the item for free. I'd go investigating.

Long gone. Double the difference at the managers discretion now. Mainly because those in the know were making hay with it...

I'll admit to having checked two other stores on my way home after getting an 8.99 overcharge doubled on a bottle of Johnnie Walker myself, but they'd fixed the shelf pricing to the new amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I have noticed (and got stung before!) that tesco stocks wine near/behind a sign that states it is x price - ie was €15
    Now €8. The label looks as if it's referring to the wine that is in fact behind the label but it's not. What happened to me was that I picked up 2 bottles, thinking they were on sale for about €8, and turned out they were €15 each. I queried this and was told the wine was in the wrong place. I can't recall the exact name but say the wine was X Y valley, I picked up X Y valley reserva, couldn't have really known the difference as the X Y valley was gone and the reserva put in its place. I was told the staff must have stocked it wrong. However this week I noticed in a completely different part of the wine section the same wine is now on sale again, and they have done the same thing. I have also noticed this happen with other wines, and I'm afraid to buy them as the name doesn't quite match so I think it's the same issue. I also noted in a different tesco a wine id be familiar with was stocked behind a sale label for a similar sounding but slightly different version.

Could this really be just consistent mistakes or is it an example of sharp practice? The full price wines never seem to be in the wrong place, only the ones on offer. I suppose there's little I can do since they say it's a mistake but I'm sure loads of people inadvertently spent a lot more on a bottle than they realised

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Merged into larger thread.

• Advertisement

It's a chronic issue with Tesco and not just wines. It should be reported online to Tesco every time and posted on forums to alert people to this practice.
    I always read the sale price labels carefully and check my receipt.

Advertisement