Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco wrong pricing..... AGAIN!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

I signed up on Tesco https://www.shopperthoughts.ie/ and get clubcard points for every survey that I do. I spend most money in Aldi, Dunnes (nearest) second, Lidl third and Tesco a poor fourth and will probably only go back when my freebie vouchers arrive possibly next easter. Surely there has to be a reason that they do these surveys and somebody has to read them so tell them what you think of them.

Before some wise ass jumps in, no I don't believe in Santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

dudara wrote: »
    It's theft, plain and simple.

Tesco do give you a proper channel to resolve the pricing issue. You should use it, rather than run the risk of facing criminal charges.

It's actually not theft either, its a limbo between the two. UCDVet is not acting dishonestly (if we take him at face value). I realise this is descending into one of my legal musings and I'll not take it any further but I'm actually finding the scenario fascinating. I've not time to properly research it at them moment, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I too don't want to get in to a debate on this but the invitation to treat and offer was accepted and then he just pockets another product with no agreement from the supplier. That is plain and simple theft. If the price is wrong or unacceptable then he should have refused it.

Messes up stock levels etc as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I too don't want to get in to a debate on this but the invitation to treat and offer was accepted and then he just pockets another product with no agreement from the supplier. That is plain and simple theft. If the price is wrong or unacceptable then he should have refused it.

Messes up stock levels etc as well.

That means a contract wasn't formed so a tortious wrong has been committed. Theft is a criminal act so requires actus reus and mens rea. The mens rea of theft is bloody complicated to say the least.

For the Craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Bepolite wrote: »
    It's actually not theft either, its a limbo between the two. UCDVet is not acting dishonestly (if we take him at face value). I realise this is descending into one of my legal musings and I'll not take it any further but I'm actually finding the scenario fascinating. I've not time to properly research it at them moment, unfortunately.

I'll leave the legal investigation to you, but to me it's theft. Tesco do offer to fix the wrong price. They do not offer that you take another product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

dudara wrote: »
    It's theft, plain and simple.

Tesco do give you a proper channel to resolve the pricing issue. You should use it, rather than run the risk of facing criminal charges.

Have to agree with you there. They take theft of anything very seriously . When I was there I seen loads of people being hauled off by the Garda over very small items. Even people eating stock or giving it to their kids while shopping. Not worth the embarrassment of it all ..
    Those extra stores have over 300 cameras and every one is recording 24/7. The people monitering them have seen it all as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 archie84

Happen me also today. Heniz tomato sauce2on offer and I got charged the full price gurrr

As far as I know . There is a team of people employed in every large store who are in price integrity . Every night new prices come in after 12 and new labels are printed. It is some persons job to replace all the SELs that have been updated. You have a very valid reason to complain if the wrong SEL is placed under the item. It means someone is not doing their job correctly.
    This can happen more in big stores where some products have two locations and the second location has been overlooked. No excuse I know. But that's what happens. But I have to say again also. More often than not, its because a customer has misread the price .

For instance. In meat. the price per Kilo is often misread as the price of the item.

• Advertisement

I think he meant people like the ones I see, who feed their kids on the way round but don't pay for it. I was parched with thirst recently and drank a bottle of water going around. When I put it on the conveyer at the till the girl went to bin it without scaning and was a bit taken aback when I said I wanted to pay for it - not in Tesco btw.

That's exactly what security are looking for. When they see it, the cams will be on them. When they pass the tills without paying for it. They are stealing. Plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

An El Paso kit has a 'best before' date. Not a 'use by' date. A best before date is just that, the item is at it's best optimal taste and condition before that date. After that date is it perfectly safe to eat. No health issue there.

A 'use by' date is a different matter. On fresh produce such as meat, fish, dairy, eggs etc, where the chances of bacteria multiplying in the product pose a health risk.

There has been talk of removing 'best before' labelling of items due to the amount of food wastage by the vast amount of consumers who don't know the difference between 'best before' and 'use by'. I have a feeling you might well fall into that group of consumers;)

That said, Tesco should be selling off stock at a clearance price that has gone past it's best before date, if it's still on the shelf with a full price there's something wrong with the rotation system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

Bought a cake today in Tesco.

Put on the dinner, set up for a nice bit of cake for dessert.

Wait, no. Cake is out of date since the 2nd of this month.

Out of date by 19 days and was actually starting to form mould on top.

Was looking forward to that cake...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Bought a cake today in Tesco.

Put on the dinner, set up for a nice bit of cake for dessert.

Wait, no. Cake is out of date since the 2nd of this month.

Out of date by 19 days and was actually starting to form mould on top.

Was looking forward to that cake...

It doesn't excuse Tesco but didn't you check the expiry date(s) on the cake before you bought it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

slimjimmc wrote: »
    It doesn't excuse Tesco but didn't you check the expiry date(s) on the cake before you bought it?

Tesco are within their rights to refuse to replace or refund for any out of date items except for items that are served to you from behind a counter like meat or fish. For all other items it is caveat emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Tesco are within their rights to refuse to replace or refund for any out of date items except for items that are served to you from behind a counter like meat or fish. For all other items it is caveat emptor.

There are laws in place saying every item found in stock past it's "Use by Date" incurs a fine of €100 or €1000 can't remember which. Sent case where shops have been called to court for 100's of items past used by dates and tried on a hand full of sample counts.

slimjimmc wrote: »

I find the whole thing hard to believe. The stock is rotated 3 times per day in what they call rumble . And then is checked every night by the person who packs that isle. Plus everything in the store get cheaked by stock controlers with PDA guns.

Unless that cake was stuck into some dark recess , I would call shenanigans on the claim.

• Advertisement

When did it become that people don't believe anything that someone says without evidence.

Pics below.

The cake is the item on the receipt for €1.81.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/ifptar.jpg
    http://oi41.tinypic.com/mb0ghk.jpg
    http://oi40.tinypic.com/2ih5p55.jpg
    http://oi44.tinypic.com/xp7rs7.jpg
    http://oi44.tinypic.com/2dqn7gi.jpg

Clear enough alright. Indeed the best before date is very prominent. How did you not see it
    I don't buy as much as a tub of butter or carton of juice without checking dates. Most of all, it is a best before date and not a use by date. Huge difference.

I was probably being a bit too presumptuous in thinking that it was up to tesco to be selling stuff which is in date and free of mould.

Yep seems legit all right.

That's the Oranmore Galway store. 6268. Their standards must be a fair bit lower than the one I worked in the east. Shameful stuff and not acceptable .
    You really need to go to Tesco Ireland with this. They take social network complaints very seriously.

I would hate to think I served anyone in my home with that festering mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This is no excuse at all but the cake is delivered and merchandised by the makers, they have made a massive mistake and Tesco haven't copped it.

Def make a complaint, usually i've lost the receipt or wrapper by the time I realise something is wrong, you have everything.

Is expect a call from the store manager with a plan as to how this will never happen again in her / his store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Well I made an online complaint to the asai over the weekend on the off chance that they might investigate it and they sent me a letter today saying that they will be in touch in due course. I doubt anything big will come of it but at least it's logged in their system now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When did it become that people don't believe anything that someone says without evidence.
    When it comes to tesco I always question negative claims, since so many people seem to have a very strong anti-tesco view. I have seen several bogus claims in the rip off forum where it could be proved the negative claims were wrong.
    I was probably being a bit too presumptuous in thinking that it was up to tesco to be selling stuff which is in date and free of mould.
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    This is no excuse at all but the cake is delivered and merchandised by the makers, they have made a massive mistake and Tesco haven't copped it.
    I got a out of date staffords cake in eurospar too. I am usually good at checking dates on stuff but these were on a special counter which seems for their use only and I never in the past saw any anywhere near being out of date. They have similar style stands in tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I love shopping on-line with Tesco.ie! my last shop cost €72+delivery but I had a voucher for €10 so €66 but then when it arrived the driver had to knock off a few damaged items because some packing numpty had put jars and bottles of juice on top of tomatoes and grapes crushing them as well as damaging a box of fish fillets, total reduction on bill was €9.50

Then afterwards I noticed that the two packs of Mr Kipling fiendish fancies were out of date since 17th and the old reliable easy peelers citrus pack which should be 600gram but weigh in at 500gram. another €3,69 knocked off my bill! also had to return two of the substitutions which were nowhere near the original items. one was double the cost and the other was half the size.

After all of tesco's mistakes my shopping went from €66 to less than €49:D:D:D Happy days!cant wait to use the €15 voucher in the next shop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 archie84

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I love shopping on-line with Tesco.ie! my last shop cost €72+delivery but I had a voucher for €10 so €66 but then when it arrived the driver had to knock off a few damaged items because some packing numpty had put jars and bottles of juice on top of tomatoes and grapes crushing them as well as damaging a box of fish fillets, total reduction on bill was €9.50

Then afterwards I noticed that the two packs of Mr Kipling fiendish fancies were out of date since 17th and the old reliable easy peelers citrus pack which should be 600gram but weigh in at 500gram. another €3,69 knocked off my bill! also had to return two of the substitutions which were nowhere near the original items. one was double the cost and the other was half the size.

After all of tesco's mistakes my shopping went from €66 to less than €49:D:D:D Happy days!cant wait to use the €15 voucher in the next shop!

Just got some laugh off that :)

Advertisement