Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco wrong pricing..... AGAIN!!

Options
  • 19-10-2013 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Just bought a 12 pack of Whiskas cat food which was advertised on special offer at €8 only to discover after leaving the store that I was actually charged € 11.89 :mad: :mad: :mad: Went back in to complain but the cashier was blasé and just gave me the €3.89 difference back without apology or explanation. How in the name of jaysus are tesco getting away with this time after time after time :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They also blatently sell items that are smaller weight than advertised, 500gram citrus easi-peelers advertised as 600gram and tins of McVities moments biscuits weighing 400grams advertised as 500gram tins, The easi peelers one has been the same for abut a year despite myself and probably others complaining and getting refunded. I got €8.39 off my last online shop over these two false advertising "mistakes".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭zzap64

Wrong pricing was one of the main reasons I stopped doing most of my shopping at Tesco's. I was sick of having to queue up at customer services and wait ages for them to find a staff member to confirm the incorrect price and get my refund.

I always check my receipt after any shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I thought that Tesco had a policy where if you were charged the wrong price at the till you got the item for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

My local Tesco still refunds double the difference or at least they did a couple of weeks back when I last availed of this 'bargain roulette' when I bought two tubs of ice cream which were marked down to half price. When I ran them through the till and they came up full price I told the customer service desk and they refunded me double the difference for each item without any quibble. They were very apologetic and almost congratulatory at my 'good fortune'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Tesco couldn't care less. They are here to fleece us out of it. The staff care even less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Might it be that there are literally thousands of lines in the store and even if there is a 0.1% error rate it means you're occasionally going to get stung?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

You should read the price tags very carefully in Tesco. Several times their cheap lines are dearer than their competitors products and sometimes the larger packaged or bottled items (alluding to being cheaper) are actually dearer than the smaller packaged items.
    Check the Price Tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I know they deal with loads of complaints about this, 99% of the time the customer has failed to read the SEL price tag properly . You have to make sure the bar code on the product matches the SEL code. Some people even move the SEL to try for the old double the difference routine. As a former worker there I seen it every day. People will try anything to pull a fast one to save a few pence.

Foggy. You have been playing the same tune about the oranges for months now. They are not going to change it. Its only oranges.

• Advertisement

brokenarms wrote: »
    Foggy. You have been playing the same tune about the oranges for months now. They are not going to change it. Its only oranges.

It is blatent false advertising or even fraudulant because they have been made aware of it yet still sell a product that is smaller than the advertised weight. most of their half price sales items are at their normal price too as shown on the BBC recently when they exposed the wine sales scam across all the major supermarkets except for Aldi and Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No way should the weight be wrong for over a year anywhere. Is is on a sign in the shop or online? Not that it matters, it should still never be wrong.

Maybe a complaint to the asai? www.asai.ie

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    No way should the weight be wrong for over a year anywhere. Is is on a sign in the shop or online? Not that it matters, it should still never be wrong.

Maybe a complaint to the asai? www.asai.ie
    it is online, Here.

order loads and get a refund for the lot or let them collect them:D

Also the tins of Moments are stated as being 500grams but only 400grams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

foggy_lad wrote: »
    it is online, Here.

order loads and get a refund for the lot or let them collect them:D
    What makes these all the worse, is that they are far from "easy peeler". Some day I'm going to go in and challenge the manager to peel on in front of me and see how he/she gets on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Just bought a 12 pack of Whiskas cat food which was advertised on special offer at €8 only to discover after leaving the store that I was actually charged € 11.89 :mad: :mad: :mad: Went back in to complain but the cashier was blasé and just gave me the €3.89 difference back without apology or explanation. How in the name of jaysus are tesco getting away with this time after time after time :confused:

I always ask for the manager and blast him in front of the staff and customers. I find it works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

JDxtra wrote: »
    Tesco couldn't care less. They are here to fleece us out of it. The staff care even less.

I work retail and when you are earning €8,65 and working hard for it. But are treated by total **** by customers ( they fell like they are superior to you) and treated by **** by the managers. It's hard to feel enthusiastic( I know I should be grateful for a job etc etc). But having worked retail in 4 th year, I realised I need to go to college so I would never have to work at it for life.

Very few people like working retail. The pay is **** plus there is no health insurance, holidays and little/no promotional opportunities. If you have an issue with tesco, don't take it out on the cashier or customer services agent would probably hates their job and would do anything else if they had the opportunity.

hfallada wrote: »
    I work retail and when you are earning €8,65 and working hard for it. But are treated by total **** by customers ( they fell like they are superior to you) and treated by **** by the managers. It's hard to feel enthusiastic( I know I should be grateful for a job etc etc). But having worked retail in 4 th year, I realised I need to go to college so I would never have to work at it for life.

Very few people like working retail. The pay is **** plus there is no health insurance, holidays and little/no promotional opportunities. If you have an issue with tesco, don't take it out on the cashier or customer services agent would probably hates their job and would do anything else if they had the opportunity.

One one level I disgaree. It's possible to get a decent manager, motivated staff and a pleasent working enviroment. I completely agree though that people do tend to get treated as they treat others. Going off on a rant at a cashier is unlikely to get you very far. I had litterally repalced things that customer had admitted they broke just becuase they were nice.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I use the self-checkout registers so I can watch the prices without being rushed along. It takes way too much time to get an employee to look at a price issue, so if something rings up incorrectly, I just slide something of an equal or lesser value into my pocket. In the end, the price works out and I save a lot of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

UCDVet wrote: »
    I use the self-checkout registers so I can watch the prices without being rushed along. It takes way too much time to get an employee to look at a price issue, so if something rings up incorrectly, I just slide something of an equal or lesser value into my pocket. In the end, the price works out and I save a lot of time.

:eek: A matter of 2 wrongs making a right? And no receipt for one of those wrongs? :eek:

:eek: A matter of 2 wrongs making a right? And no receipt for one of those wrongs? :eek:

Is it wrong? If Tesco owes me 3 euro and I take something they sell for 3 euro - that makes us even, doesn't it?

I'm not advocating shoplifting. Theft is wrong. But in my experience, the employees would rather not deal with price issues. They didn't set the price in the system, they can't change it, they are busy, don't like their job, and don't really care about my 3 euro. They've got other things to attend to. Sure, I can make a scene and get someone to spend 10 minutes getting me squared away, but they don't like it and I don't like it.

If I 'manually adjust' the price on another item in such a way that I've paid the correct amount, and I can do it without wasting my time or an employee's time....it seems like a win-win for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Self scan won't let you take something of a different weight.

You do know you are on camera, right?

Well thats the moot problem for the first year LL.B students sorted thanks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is it wrong? If Tesco owes me 3 euro and I take something they sell for 3 euro - that makes us even, doesn't it?

I'm not advocating shoplifting. Theft is wrong. But in my experience, the employees would rather not deal with price issues. They didn't set the price in the system, they can't change it, they are busy, don't like their job, and don't really care about my 3 euro. They've got other things to attend to. Sure, I can make a scene and get someone to spend 10 minutes getting me squared away, but they don't like it and I don't like it.

If I 'manually adjust' the price on another item in such a way that I've paid the correct amount, and I can do it without wasting my time or an employee's time....it seems like a win-win for everyone.

Dress it up any way you like but the item you take in compensation is shop lifted.

Dress it up any way you like but the item you take in compensation is shop lifted.

Then the incorrect price at the register is pickpocketting.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Self scan won't let you take something of a different weight.

You do know you are on camera, right?

If approached/asked/stopped I will gladly return their item, just as soon as they refund my money. And when they refund my money from the incorrect price, I'll had it to them and ask for the item back. And which point, they will realize, we are in the exact same configuration as when we started.

They have the same amount of money and items.
    I have the same amount of money and items.

That is +/- a few cents; I'll pocket an item that is near the price difference. And this is only for small differences; if something were off by 50 euro, I'm not going to try and stick a collect of steaks into my pants.

Being on camera is only an issue if someone is watching the camera. The cashiers who are ringing up incorrect prices are probably on camera too.

Then the incorrect price at the register is pickpocketting.

Its actually an invitation to treat, followed by an offer made (by the till on your case) which you can accept or refuse.

Some interesting issues but I wouldnt be testing them! :pac:

EDIT: Like the logic of the full shop in you above post - but again I think you're on very shaky ground legally.

• Site Banned Posts: 23 Stonky

Don't get me started about all the out of date food.

I was in there only yesterday and all their old el paso kits were out of date, all of them some only by a week and others out bv over a month.

How are they getting away with it?

You should actually get the Gardai involve with this issue. This could be taken as a public health issue

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Stonky wrote: »
    You should actually get the Gardai involve with this issue. This could be taken as a public health issue

it's hard enough to get the Gardai out when your house is burgled and you are suggesting they will be interested in a few out of date tacos? Eh no...

There is a department in the HSE you can contact with out of date goods and they investigate the retailer. Please don't get the guards involved :eek: they will probably die from laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's theft, plain and simple.

Tesco do give you a proper channel to resolve the pricing issue. You should use it, rather than run the risk of facing criminal charges.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Stonky wrote: »

A lot of the stuff in Tesco (yogurts and bakery for example) has a very close use by date, usually one or two days). I avoid tesco to be honest, its not any cheaper than any other shop either.

So its not really a sell by date. They do have a clearence shelf, some of the stuff has only a few hours if any left there. Not a health issue as such

Advertisement