Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it wrong to oppose mass immigration?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Did you ever hear of the black economy? Immigrants are usually much more likely to work in the black economy the world over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

jank wrote: »
    Did you ever hear of the black economy? Immigrants are usually much more likely to work in the black economy the world over.

Indeed I did, but as nobody had mentioned it before you, it wasn't something I'd remarked upon.

You assumed wrongly that every immigrant pays tax on income.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Jank, as ever, delivering some delicious irony.

An immigrant spouting nonsense anti-immigration rhetoric.

If your ideals were to be implemented in your current country of residence, you'd be on one of the first flights home I assume young jank?

:rolleyes:

....no, I never addressed an issue that no-one had as of yet raised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Nobody has assumed any such thing?

Seaneh wrote: »
    Jank, as ever, delivering some delicious irony.

An immigrant spouting nonsense anti-immigration rhetoric.

If your ideals were to be implemented in your current country of residence, you'd be on one of the first flights home I assume young jank?

:rolleyes:

What 'ideals' are these Seaneh, please elaborate.
    What 'anti-immigration' policy would see me a legal permanent resident of australia on the first flight home.
    When responding please quote me rather then the usual three card tick on twisting something I said to mean something else you think I said.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Nobody has assumed any such thing?
    As tax is deducted by the employer, I fail to see how someone sending money home would bypass the tax system.

Not everyone earning a wage (Irish and non-nationals) are compliant with the Irish tax system as some are working in the black economy. An employer will not deduct tax if they are being paid under the table. I pointed out to him a simple scenario that people send money home that bypass the tax system. That.is.all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

What 'ideals' are these Seaneh, please elaborate.
    What 'anti-immigration' policy would see me a legal permanent resident of australia on the first flight home.
    When responding please quote me rather then the usual three card tick on twisting something I said to mean something else you think I said.

You accusing someone else of twisting words to mean something else?

Bloody hilarious.

"Facking immigrants, all baastards, unless they are me".

Seaneh wrote: »
    You accusing someone else of twisting words to mean something else?

Bloody hilarious.

"Facking immigrants, all baastards, unless they are me".

I asked a simple question.

You accused me of spouting anti-immigrant rethoric/ideals that would see me on a plane home if said rethoric was implimented into policy.
    By all means quote me on this and prove yourself right, if not than I ask you to withdraw the remark.

If you cannot do that, then by default the comment is withdrawn.

• Advertisement

Not everyone earning a wage (Irish and non-nationals) are compliant with the Irish tax system as some are working in the black economy. An employer will not deduct tax if they are being paid under the table. I pointed out to him a simple scenario that people send money home that bypass the tax system.
    What you said was pretty clear:
    jank wrote:
    Nobody has assumed that there are no immigrants working illegally or "under the radar".

However, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, it is reasonable to assume that the vast majority of EU nationals working in Ireland are paying tax on their income.

What you said was pretty clear:
    Nobody has assumed that there are no immigrants working illegally or "under the radar".

However, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, it is reasonable to assume that the vast majority of EU nationals working in Ireland are paying tax on their income.

Nodin could not see a scenario, to quote "how someone sending money home would bypass the tax system". I just laid out a simple scenario to prove contrary which is not disputed. That was all.

Yes most immigrants would be above board on their tax. I was merely playing devils advocate. Shoot me.

Nodin could not see a scenario, to quote "how someone sending money home would bypass the tax system".
    You've omitted the beginning of that quote, in which states the perfectly reasonable assumption that tax is deducted by the employer.

And we all know about assumptions...

They're perfectly reasonable in the absence of evidence to the contrary?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

If you're going to make a case that there are significant numbers of immigrants avoiding tax, make it. Otherwise stop nitpicking and being cryptic before it gets to the stage of trolling.

moderately irritated,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Manassas61 wrote: »
    It is the political agenda of the left wing contingent and political parties in the UK and the Irish Republic to use immigration for political reasons. The hope of building a vote base on it.

It's why Labour opened the doors to try and keep the Conservatives out. Too many of the UK parties are scared to debate the issue. Control is paramount. Flooding the country in harsh economic times for people is not only stupid but morally wrong.

Yet it would be okay for you to move to Australia, now wouldn't it?

Immigration is never wrong, Irish have emigrated everywhere for a couple of centuries now so we've an obligation to let people in who seek a better life.

They're perfectly reasonable in the absence of evidence to the contrary?

The evidence is of course that people fact that both Irish and non-nationals working in the black economy, which makes the assumption false...sigh

For Scofflaw,

http://globalmj.eu/2012/12/29/polish-migrant-workers-in-irelands-black-economy-a-phenomenological-investigation/
    Nine interviewees stated that when they came to Ireland they could not find a legal job, but needed to gain experience and illegal employment was more ac- cessible to them
    This article presented an empirical exploration of shadow economy engagement by Polish migrants in Ireland, considering their pre-migration decision making processes, subsequent arrival in Ireland, and reflec- tions on their experiences. It is evident that pull factors, typically family and/or friends already living in Ireland exerted a strong influence on the migration decision.
    Reflecting on their experience, interviewees who worked illegally display only limited guilt, possibly as a consequence of their prior acclimatisation with Poland’s shadow economy. Maeve’s statement: “I do not have any remorse; she [the employer] should have regret as she employs people illegally”, is therefore instructive.

100+ page PDF Here.
    http://cua.openrepository.com/cua/bitstream/10759/301081/1/2011%20-%20M.Bs%20Marlena%20Gontarska.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

And like the man said already:

Yes, however my inital response was to Nodin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The evidence is of course that people fact that both Irish and non-nationals working in the black economy, which makes the assumption false...sigh

For Scofflaw,

http://globalmj.eu/2012/12/29/polish-migrant-workers-in-irelands-black-economy-a-phenomenological-investigation/

100+ page PDF Here.
    http://cua.openrepository.com/cua/bitstream/10759/301081/1/2011%20-%20M.Bs%20Marlena%20Gontarska.pdf

That's really a qualitative and phenomenological study rather than a quantitative one.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

It seems you misunderstand what an assumption is. I'll be catching a flight in a few days time - are you telling me that I am wrong to assume I will survive the flight because, on very rare occasions, planes crash?

Unless you've got evidence that large numbers of immigrants are avoiding tax, then you really don't have a point to make.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Never ending Immigration = okay

Against immigration = damn racist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Even labours Jack Straw admitted it was an error in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10445585/Labour-made-a-spectacular-mistake-on-immigration-admits-Jack-Straw.html

cerastes wrote: »
    He admits to under-estimating the number of immigrants that the UK would receive from the new accession states. Of course, the article stops short of explaining why this was bad for the UK. All we get are some vague statements about the Roma community and segregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭trashcan

I didn't realise those were the only two options!

trashcan wrote: »

Like 'In hindsight maybe some limits might have been set' or something completely mad like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

For the mainstream they are the only two options there.

I find the immigration argument rigid,if anybody comes on here and opposes it - immediately someone will come out and brand them a racist.

Thats how the immigration argument works genereally.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I find the immigration argument rigid,if anybody comes on here and opposes it - immediately someone will come out and brand them a racist.

Not really. Try reviewing the points made in this thread - carefully - and let's see how that theory stands up to scrutiny (it doesn't).

• Advertisement

As we've 16 pages in this thread, you'll undoubtedly be able to find an example of what you refer to in order to illustrate your point....

Advertisement