Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Dont think i ever move my Temp dial off 200 and chips at 20 mins for frozen ones.

Only a couple of Fried eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Thinking about getting an air fryer. The thing that has me stumped is the ability to buy replacement baskets.

Ninja - can only buy replacements in the 5 large european markets?

Philips - can not see if baskets can be shipped to ROI

Cosori, seems to be answer as the baskets can be bought on Amazon UK.

Anyone bought or know if Ninja or Philips replacement baskets can be shipped to ROI?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I cook halved baby (new) potatoes from raw (coated in olive oil and paprika) and they come out lovely. Haven't tried actual chips yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Made some wings last night, I was very impressed with how they turned out so I thought I'd share the recipe

• Don't use still-frozen wings for this, get fresh ones or fully thaw them
    • 1 egg white per dozen wings, mixed with fresh cracked black pepper
    • Marinade the wings in the egg whites for about half an hour
    • Make a mix of Cornflour, Chili Powder (to your taste) Aromat, Salt
    • Dredge the marinated wings in the mix and put in the airfryer for 3 x 6 minute spells at 200c
    • Don't overfill, and make sure to shake the drawer at each interval

I found these to be very tasty, with as much of a kick of chili as you like yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Chips aren't great in the air fryer. No matter the recipe they get too dried out. Wedges are probably better.

Can't go wrong with the wings though. Submerge them in Eddie Rockets Cajun sauce when they are done for a real treat. Actually nice than the wings from Eddie Rockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Recently came across this great Facebook page that has air fryer recipes, you'd be surprised of a lot of the uses! Baked donuts pancakes and churros to mention a few.

https://www.facebook.com/Airfryerhealthyrecipes345

And here's a link to their website that aren't on Facebook:

I saw a recipe for a breaded omlette, so I gave it a go today but without the bread.

Whisked up 4 eggs and threw in some diced onion and pepper, pre heated the air fryer to 180 degrees C, and put the mix into a silicone liner I got for thr Air Fryer from TEMU for 10 minutes:

I was really surprised how high it rose as you can see in the second pic.

It Browned on top but was yellow at the bottom and had a nice fluffy texture.

The silicone liner I have is too big to go inside the basket that goes inside my original Philips air fryer, so I just take the basket out and put the silicone liner in the bowl, and out the bowl into the air fryer without the basket. I'm going to have buy a smaller liner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭ALS

Weird question, but has anyone got the packaging from the Ninja Foodi MAX - AF400UK - 9.5L Dual Zone Airfryer, that they don’t want, can collect Dublin area, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That €50 Salter/Salter 3.5 litre they had in Lidl recently is actually very decent, bought one for my tenants because my 10 year old Philips is a bit disgusting after it's hard life and am very impressed, gets up to temp in 4 minutes and is super quite. Don't like how it switches off when you pull the basket for a shake and comes on again when you reinsert but it heats so quickly it doesn't make any real difference in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Hatshepsut

I must be the only person left without an airfryer at this stage and thinking of biting the bullet. I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one so was wondering and looking for some advice on this one coming into Aldi next Thursday. Would this suit someone cooking for 2 people max? And could you do a whole chicken in one this size?

Any thoughts/opinions/advice welcome, thanks.

Google suggests a 2kg chicken will fit inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Ambiano 4.5 Litre Air Fryer

Same here thinking of getting one, does that have presets also only 30 minute timer not 60 dont know if that will a difference,hopefully someone will advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lidl have an air fryer coming up soon for €70 - might be larger / have more features...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I still see the €50 Lidl airfryer from a couple of weeks ago still on the shelves around Limerick, 3.5L. I got one for my tenants and it seems very good even though its totally basic with just a timer and temp dial, never seen one heat up so quickly. Removeable grill plate in the bottom of the basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Does an air fryer really need controls apart from time and temp?

Whenever buying a microwave, I struggle to find one with just these simple controls. Do people actually use presets on airfryers or micros?

Post edited by the beer revolu on

Yes presets can be handy when doing some stuff as in some multi models when doing stew or rice hit the button and away it goes.

Ninja and Pkp using specific functions.

Philips air fryer temp is always on max even though photos on machine show time anf temp to cook different foods.

Halogen oven only has a time and temp buttons and high or low rack also have an effect on cooking.

Small micro i use 800w can reduce strength to use which can be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

anyone have any input on this AF from Amazon.

Was looking to do roasts which normally take me 2 hrs at 180 in c oven as this will easily accommodate a beef joint.

Just wondering if someone has a large one like this for €67

thanks

I always read the reviews for a product and seems good as people like it , some have said a bit hard to clean.

Not sure on life warranty as i dont see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

what do you mean by this? somebody had said "Your frozen chips are coated in oil, too." most frozen chips are cooked in oil before freezing.

Airfryers are fan ovens, typically with a fan that is faster than standard ovens. No miracle is going to happen, you need to add lots of oil to get anything close to deep fried chips. I have added so much oil that they come out with likely more fat than typical deep fried chipper chips.

The whole idea with air fryers is you dont add oil as is healthier , adding more may make it smoke a lot more.

Still see people wanting to use deep fat fryers for doing lovely chips.

Making your own chips from spuds they do say you need to add oil for cooking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭POBox19

Lidl Saturday 14th October €69.99. 5.2L and 200º C top temperature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Has anyone ever bought one of these guys? It comes with both 2 drawers and 1 single large drawer and you can switch between both. It looks really interesting as both options are great at different times....

Duronic AF34, 2-in-1 Air Fryer Bundle Set with 1x 10L Large Drawer and 2x 4.5L Twin Drawers Included, Dual Zone Family Sized Cooker, With Single and Double Basket Frying Drawers https://amzn.eu/d/bqtEYrf

Just checked it out and looks good as you may have a big lump of meat or smaller items for the twin drawers. Somebody was thinking with their brains on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Yes. Exactly. I had a single 5.2l (the WiFi enabled Lidl one which stopped working after 3 weeks but I got a refund). It was handy obviously and I liked the relatively big drawer. However, at times having 2 drawers would have been very handy ala the Ninja one. Or I even considered buying 2 but then loads of counter space lost.

This one though seems to cover both options. The single drawers are still relatively large. You can have the dual cooking. But you also have a very large drawer for cooking outsized stuff. Close to pulling the trigger on it but was wondering if anyone else has before I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Don’t think I’ve posted here before or read the thread so please forgive if I’m repeating………

Anyone used an oven with an integrated air fryer?https://www.currys.ie/products/zanussi-airfry-zohna7x1-electric-oven-stainless-steel-10206590.html

Seems to solve the capacity problem but is it as effective as a stand alone fryer?

Looks like a built in unit and wonder if any different to my oven as it also has grills and a fan in the rear.

Think this thread was for stand alone models that can be moved on worktop and much smaller.

Warm up time might be 10 mins to come to temp.

Small units cook in under 30 secs and no waiting and less energy wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Starting to explore the Ninja foodi multi cooker- air fryer slow cooker pressure cooker bake and dehydrate would likely be the functions I’d use the most

I think getting just an air fryer Id probably regret it - so could I ask any downsides of getting this ?

I have the older twin lid model for pc mode and Af mode and with winter nearly here i shall be doing stews and other things.

Ninja models are heavy and have a short cable and tall , will it live on your countertop?

Have a look at " THE SALTED PEPPER " videos on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyh6YpKW-sw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Thanks for the reply.

Before seeing your post I watched a number of review videos online. Here’s what I concluded for me:

1. I’ll never much use the full range of features on the 11-1 15-1 multi functionality cookers
    2. even the double drawer ninja at over 200 squid is still just an air fryer so it’s all about your volume of cooking requirements
    3. The Ninja Speedi might be versatile on paper in what it can cook but I’m not mad on how the results of the food look
    4. While a slow cooker sounds great, I’d probably get sick of stewed food quite quickly- I can cook stews/casseroles now in the oven but I only do that occasionally

So all of the above is purely my own take on the multi cookers for ME-delighted if someone is using say a Ninja speedi every day and would be lost without it- fair play to you.

I think I’ll look for maybe the Philips air fryer or even a cheaper one - it will be used probably once a week that’s all- I’ll save a few Bob on electricity over time Vs using a big electric oven to heat a few chips or chicken strips. I’ll experiment also with homemade fried food to see how that goes but a little research has ensured I don’t end up buying a massive multi air fryer that will gather dust on the counter.

Hopefully this will help others in deciding whether an airfryer or multi machine is right for them

PS- before deciding I highly recommend you watch as many videos as possible of people demonstrating the air fryers- especially the more expensive ones with multi functionality - it really helps you to answer the question: Do I see myself doing what they’re doing in this video?

Frankly I answered no. If there were many in the household especially young kids then maybe.

I love cooking- rice dishes, curries, French food, Italian food etc etc I eat “deep fried” fried food occasionally.

But when it comes to say fish, a good frying pan is all I need - it’s a few mins either side and it’s done. I can breadcrumb small pieces and the frying pan still does me. I use a wok for quick curries. Really the way I’m set up in the kitchen I like it just the way it is- for someone without the resources I have in my kitchen then I might opt for a large air fryer and a separate slow cooker giving you more versatility in terms of what you can cook simultaneously

• Advertisement

Yes its all about what you want to cook , My setup is

JML Halogen oven been the oldest and can cook my steaks and chops inside and see how they are doing cooking wise and if i need to turn them.

Philips Air Fryer as i like my oven chips and onion rings which i have gotten used to.

PKP was for stews but doing sauté mode stuff got burnt on the bottom. Does lovely rice puddings.

Ninja Foodi was the last one bought and still not done all that i want but have done joints of meat and chicken by pressure then air fry and is nice.

Many have done cakes and bread inside them.

Storage is the issue with many things but luck is with me as the 3 units are on a shelf just outside kitchen door and brought in when needed.

Halogen sits inside a deep drawer and onto countertop when needed.

Advertisement