Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cant comment on the Ninja itself but if you are cooking for more than 2 people I think you are always better off going with the larger size as the regular size just isnt big enough to do 3-4 portions of chips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭amber2

Anyone have any reviews of the Lidl silvercrest 9 in 1 hot airfryer coming up on sale next week supposed to be like the ninja foodi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Those ones look like an absolute dose to clean. You're better off with the usual types where you pull out the tray with the handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Going to get an air fryer, mainly so I’m not turning on the main oven so much. Looking for recommendations for family of 4 please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

we are doing the same, after reading about the difference in cost oven vs air fryer! we are only 2 so dont think we'll need anything super duper....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 shortcircuit_99

Can thoroughly recommend the Ninja Foodi, it's a brilliant bit of kit. It has an air fryer, slow cooker and pressure cooker and all work very well.

My one is a touch small so get a good big one esp if you are feeding the family. The more room in the basket the nicer the results so its best to get the one with as big a capacity as you can afford.

The best thing about the Foodi is that it can cook an entire roast chicken in about half an hour! And it's delicious. You pressure cook the chicken for about 15 mins. Then you switch it to air fryer mode for about another ten minutes which gets it crispy. So come home from work bang a chicken into the cooker and it's perfect in 30 mins. And it's so delicious and juicy every bit as good as doing it in the oven, or maybe even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Thanks shortcircuit….that’s exactly what I got & loving it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shortcircuit_99

Ah that's great, delighted you are getting on well with it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anecdotal but I had a landlord a couple of years ago who bought one of those Lidl 9 in 1s with the rotisserie chicken ability and it died after the third use, brought it back and switched it and the same thing happened again. Maybe a bad batch the first time they sold it but tbh it was more like a small fan oven than a true airfryer when it was working anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

for a family of 6 is this tefal airfryer a decent buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭obi604

Anyone have any comment on Digital V Manual air fryers?

For a family of 4, what liter would be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

I just have a question on running costs of an air fryer vs a traditional fan oven. I am considering the Ninja Foodi Mini Oven / Air Fryer to use in place of my main oven (a Hotpoint HAE51), particularly as I cook for myself mostly and it seems that using the main fan oven to cook a piece of fish or chicken is a waste of energy. I like the idea of the Ninja as I would also like to cook homemade pizzas in there too. When I look at energy consumption, my main fan oven is rated at 1.17Kw/h, the Ninja at 2.4Kw/h. I typically use my oven for 30 mins (including preheat) to cook my portion of frozen fish or whatever, so works out around 0.58Kw/h. The Ninja claims 20 minutes to cook a family meal, so maybe 15 mins to cook single portions, that works out at 0.6Kw/h. I'm not saving anything on energy consumption by the looks of it. I'm guessing the benefits are quicker cooking times and crispier food but no electricity savings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Without getting to technical, how often is your main oven element on, compared to an airfryer? You are not accounting for this in your calculations.

In both cases they are probably not on 100% all of the time, let's say you main oven 70% to maintain temperature, and the airfryer 50% to maintain the same temperature. (made up values).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm not sure to be honest. I'm guessing the manufacturer quoted figure for my oven is some kind of average that covers most use cases, otherwise what does the quoted electricity consumption actually mean? The Ninja air fryer probably won't use all 2400 watts, most likely it is a worst case scenario depending on what you are heating. It does make it very tricky to compare both in this respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Looking at getting this for family 2 and a half with room for more when father calls over for dinner. Looking for recommendations or is it best to wait until Black Friday and use the oven till then?

Mainly for cooking simple things or quick things at the weekend or something when home from work

Any recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

I put the Ninja Double basket airfryer on an energy monitor yesterday out of interest. 3min warm up 200c air fry. 15min airfry at 200c. Both baskets turned on. Cost - 3.85c (paying 22.26c per kwh). It drew 2395kw for about 2 mins then seemed to sit around 50-80w or 0 as it stayed hot.

Our electric oven uses about 75c an hour by comparison.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Same here @snowgal

Did you manage to find one that suited your needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

I have the NINJA Foodi Dual Zone AF300UK Air Fryer and love it, the two drawers are fantastic for family meals and one drawer is perfect for one person lunches and snacks etc. Its got 7.6L cooking capacity in total, 2400W cooking capacity (1200 per drawer) and cost me €240 or so in Currys.

This Sunday (Nov 13th) Aldi have a copycat machine for sale for just €99. It has slightly larger cooking capacity at 8L total but less cooking power at 1800W total so may not be as fast to cook as the Ninja but for 60% less than the cost of the Ninja it might be worth a try for anyone in the market for a dual drawer AirFryer or thinking of buying their first AirFryer as I've always found Aldi copycat electric / electronic products to be pretty good performers and if you keep your receipt and packaging you can return it up to 3 years after you buy it under warranty if anything goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Doge

So as a Philips air fryer user im a bit overwhelmed with all the airfryers on the market now.

I need to recommend two for 2 relatives.

What brands would you recommend that are easy to clean and have the best functionality.

Only resubscribed to this thread now since the boards facelift btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think they all do much the same thing at the end of the day. Some models have digital bells and whistles and preset buttons but the results in the cooking will be the same.

Id still recommend the Philips due to longevity, mine is 6 years old this coming Black Friday and showing no signs of giving up the ghost. There are cheaper models out there like the stuff Aldi/Lidl sell or Tower airfryers are usually cheap. Its just uncertain if they will last years and years, maybe someone who has one could comment how long its on the go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If i could add as i have the Philips Air Fryer for many years and solo cooking.

Others are mentioning the Ninja Foodi twin basket but it can only fry and no pressure cooking.

I have the 6ltr foodi twin lids as i can pc joints or can make a stew and can make bread and cakes.

Think of what meals you want to cook is most important and the Foodi are big and heavy with short mains power cord.

If your a short person there is more chance of burning your arms on the hot pot which is higher up than you think when taking food out of the pot so would advise to view one in local shop at your worktop height.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I'm keeping an eye on this - it's not as big as it looks in the pictures....saw it in kildare village @ about €175 recently.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

For a simple, first-time, fryer, for one or two people, would this be suitable? I've never heard of the Tower brand before, but it's cheap at €55.

Do they give off much steam or oily air that might require an extracter fan?

I'm looking for something compact that I can keep in a cupboard.

Size H26.5, W24, D18.5cm

If you were cooking sausages there will be plenty of smoke as loaded with fat and ends up in the base.

I do my oven chips McCains in it and onion rings and not needing extraction fan on but hood is nearby.

I use the Philips airfryer but dont fill basket to the top or you wont get everything cooked and halfway though give basket a few shakes in and out to move the food around.

3 year warranty is good

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Only thing that I never cook because of the smoke is burgers.

Keep the "basin" part clean and it definitely helps keep the smoke/smell to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Can you bake brown soda bread in an air fryer. I have tried all combinations of temperature and time but its not really baking all the way through.

Tower 4L vortex air fryer(Dunnes)

Any help would be much appreciated

I remember the skewer test when taking it out of the oven to see if centre was cooked or not , if not back in for another 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

I repeated the skewer test around 10 times unfortunately, had to finally finish it off in the regular oven

• Advertisement

Advertisement