Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

7sixes wrote: »
    Shaws department stores have a tefal ey401840 4.2L air fryer for 69.99euro. Unable to post link but little woods have it for 89.99, cant see it for any cheaper elsewhere. Are these any good?

Has the Tefal got the revolving paddle inside it to agitate the food? If so read back the thread a bit, a few users had issues with the paddle breaking or just knocking the breadcrumbs off food. Check Amazon reviews too. From what I gather the Philips Airfryer is the better of the two products but personally have never had a Tefal Actifry so cant say for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    From what I gather the Philips Airfryer is the better of the two products but personally have never had a Tefal Actifry so cant say for certain.
    That seems to be the consensus, might have only ever seen 1 person who had both who said they peferred the tefal, and even then it might have been for some particular thing.

Many appear to have broken the actifry, switched to a philips as a replacement and preferred it.

I would also add again to get a bigger one -don't think I have ever seen anybody who got big one who regretted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Has the Tefal got the revolving paddle inside it to agitate the food? If so read back the thread a bit, a few users had issues with the paddle breaking or just knocking the breadcrumbs off food. Check Amazon reviews too. From what I gather the Philips Airfryer is the better of the two products but personally have never had a Tefal Actifry so cant say for certain.

Went with Tefal first for the paddle
    Every single part of it broke
    Including the motor in first one but it was under warranty

There is no comparison
    Get the Philips bigger one

Yeah I think the paddle on the Tefal is unnecessary and is just another part that can (and does) break. Going by reports just on this thread Philips dont seem to suffer breakdowns on the scale that Tefal do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

We have the standard size digital philips airfryer, had it over 5 years at this stage and it gets used almost every day. The only trouble we've ever had with it was 9 months ago when it just refused to turn on for three days after we bought a new big one super cheap on Amazon, to replace the old one when it finally breaks. It sulked for just those three days then started working perfectly again.

So in my experience they are very well-made but maybe a bit sensitive :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Folks I have been diagnosed with high cholesterol , maybe an air fryer will mean I can still have chips without so much oil , what is a decent enough option of air fryer to go for ?

Most on here have the Philips Airfryer and are happy with it. There are other models like the Power Airfryer which may be cheaper. Check reviews on Amazon.

If you're trying to lower cholesterol but still want to eat chips then making your own from fresh is the way to go. Frozen chips already have oil on them and just airfrying them isnt going to make them any healthier. By making fresh you control how much oil is on them or you can use no oil at all.

I now always roll sausages in oil before doing them. I find the skins can go hard or burst if just put in normally, especially if never turned over.

When coated in oil I just space them out and do 12mins at 160C in the philips with no preheat. I do not have to turn them at all and they are very evenly browned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

rubadub wrote: »
    I now always roll sausages in oil before doing them. I find the skins can go hard or burst if just put in normally, especially if never turned over.

When coated in oil I just space them out and do 12mins at 160C in the philips with no preheat. I do not have to turn them at all and they are very evenly browned.

Do you pierce them before you put them in?

branners69 wrote: »
    Do you pierce them before you put them in?
    No. I used to do that the odd time as they would otherwise explode and be broken wide open. But the lower temp and the oil seems to stop this. I think not preheating might help a bit too, though it is quick to get to temp anyways.

I am using standard 1oz size ones, 16 per pound. Not sure if the bigger ones would need piercing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

rubadub wrote: »
    No. I used to do that the odd time as they would otherwise explode and be broken wide open. But the lower temp and the oil seems to stop this. I think not preheating might help a bit too, though it is quick to get to temp anyways.

I am using standard 1oz size ones, 16 per pound. Not sure if the bigger ones would need piercing.

I put in the 16 sausages into the Philips XL for 8 minutes on 200 and they come out perfect. I pierce them and give the odd shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Most on here have the Philips Airfryer and are happy with it. There are other models like the Power Airfryer which may be cheaper. Check reviews on Amazon.

If you're trying to lower cholesterol but still want to eat chips then making your own from fresh is the way to go. Frozen chips already have oil on them and just airfrying them isnt going to make them any healthier. By making fresh you control how much oil is on them or you can use no oil at all.

In fairness, if you have HC and switch from deep fried chips to air fried frozen chips, it's a big leap health wise for chip lovers as they taste better than out of the oven too. I've tried the fresh made chips with little and no oil and I wasn't impressed TBH. But it may suit others.

From a health perspective, if you replace a deep fat fryer with an air fryer, the health benefits are relevant and the food tastes far superior than out of the oven with a more "fried" texture. For me, I always cite a chicken fillet. Pan fried in oil? Yeah it tastes great. Oven roasted (even in tinfoil) its very dry. Cooked in the air fryer with no oil whatsoever? Magic. Just like its come off a pan.

Overall I am completely convinced that with creative use of an air fryer, even unhealthy foods/meals are made less unhealthy. That has to be a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

You've convinced me... I wants an air fryer!

Deja Boo wrote: »
    You've convinced me... I wants an air fryer!

Do it DB! I often used the deep fat fryer as part of a recipe. Not anymore. Little G developed a minor, but embarrassing medical complaint a few years back. We discovered that its rampant among young kids and traced it back to deep fried foods. Since I switched to the air fryer, her complaint has disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Not been on this thread for a while ,yes had the actifry and took too long to cook chips and returned it,got the philips air fryer and love it.
    Yesterday while cooking something i noticed the kitchen had more smoke than normal when finished.Hot oil is poured out it a small container to dump later so its not sitting on the bottom.Turned it upside down and noticed a bit too much burnt deposits so it needs a better clean and only used a non scratch scouring pad to deklinker most of it but needs a better under the ring clean so wondering if anybody has done it yet.
    When pot and basket get over dirty its dishwasher time which i did yesterday.Today was my deep oil fryer clean and old oil must be 6 or more years stored and dont use it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

branners69 wrote: »
    I put in the 16 sausages into the Philips XL for 8 minutes on 200 and they come out perfect. I pierce them and give the odd shake.

I do my sausages for the same length of time and heat and they are bang on perfect every time, never bother with piercing myself
    Couple of eggs in ramekins and some rashers on a rack above makes for a lovely breakfast

The internet isn’t for everyone

greasepalm wrote: »
    Not been on this thread for a while ,yes had the actifry and took too long to cook chips and returned it,got the philips air fryer and love it.
    Yesterday while cooking something i noticed the kitchen had more smoke than normal when finished.Hot oil is poured out it a small container to dump later so its not sitting on the bottom.Turned it upside down and noticed a bit too much burnt deposits so it needs a better clean and only used a non scratch scouring pad to deklinker most of it but needs a better under the ring clean so wondering if anybody has done it yet.
    When pot and basket get over dirty its dishwasher time which i did yesterday.Today was my deep oil fryer clean and old oil must be 6 or more years stored and dont use it any more.

Get a degreased spray from aldi or Lidl they are very good for the basket and pot, I clean mine out every couple of days and the ring gets a wipe of a dish cloth now and then but it’s never really dirty unless I stick in a 2kg chicken and the skin hits the ring while cooking

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Get a degreased spray from aldi or Lidl they are very good for the basket and pot, I clean mine out every couple of days and the ring gets a wipe of a dish cloth now and then but it’s never really dirty unless I stick in a 2kg chicken and the skin hits the ring while cooking

Basket and base goes into dishwasher when needed,Hmm chicken wont fit in the small one but could stick it in my halogen oven for 1 1/2 hrs or 35 mins in my pkp:eek:

Basket and base goes into dishwasher when needed,Hmm chicken wont fit in the small one but could stick it in my halogen oven for 1 1/2 hrs or 35 mins in my pkp:eek:

A small 1.4kg chicken can be made to fit in the small Philips airfryer provided you remove the wire basket. Its discussed a few pages back in this thread and theres a few pics there too. Theres good results to be had, I have only done it twice myself but it did a really good job on a full chicken, crispy skin and all. Used to love my halogen for cooking full chickens but now find the airfryer does a better job. Only disadvantage is in a small airfryer with a full chicken there is no space to throw in some spuds and veg for roasting like there is in a halogen oven. But would guess the airfryer XL would have the space to do that if needed.

I like my chickens at 1.8kg not a bloody sparrow,suppose i could get 1/2 a chicken in there to try it.

• Advertisement

I like my chickens at 1.8kg not a bloody sparrow,suppose i could get 1/2 a chicken in there to try it.

I have squashed a 1.9kg in a standard philips before.

I do not particularly like roast breast especially on bigger chickens. So sometimes I get and XL chicken and cut the fillets off and keep them for cooking in stir frys etc and cook the rest in the airfryer. This is very good value since the legs etc are basically free. i.e. the chicken might cost €5 but the breast meat alone would have cost over €5,

Not sure why they do not sell half chickens, would be easy to butcher with proper equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

,Hmm chicken wont fit in the small one but could stick it in my halogen oven for 1 1/2 hrs or 35 mins in my pkp:eek:

I thought halogen ovens cooked things quickly?

I thought halogen ovens cooked things quickly?

About 50-60 minutes for a 1.4kg chicken in a halogen IME, they cook other stuff about 25% quicker than a conventional oven. They are a decent piece of kit and cheap at about €35 but I wouldnt go back to one from an airfryer. My halogen oven bowl is now a pot plant in the back garden :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Slightly off topic but with an upright roaster, I can fully cook a medium chicken in about 45 minutes in a hot, conventional oven.
    Allover crispy skin, ftw!

https://www.storkz.com/fox-run-5667.html?currency=EUR&country=IE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh4Xwq6KS5QIVTbDtCh1RIgSmEAQYESABEgKNrPD_BwE

Slightly off topic but with an upright roaster, I can fully cook a medium chicken in about 45 minutes in a hot, conventional oven.

Stop teasing us as we all may want one and a bigger counter top:D

https://www.storkz.com/fox-run-5667.html?currency=EUR&country=IE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh4Xwq6KS5QIVTbDtCh1RIgSmEAQYESABEgKNrPD_BwE

Well I’m doing 1.8kg in the xxl airfryer in 50-55 minutes with crispy skin and full of juice

About 50-60 minutes for a 1.4kg chicken in a halogen IME, they cook other stuff about 25% quicker than a conventional oven. They are a decent piece of kit and cheap at about €35 but I wouldnt go back to one from an airfryer. My halogen oven bowl is now a pot plant in the back garden :D

I'm fully on board with the air fryer revolution. Bigger and better versions already available.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Tower Air Fryer 1350 W, 3.2 Litre
    (2nd most popular after Duronic/1k Reviews 4 stars)

€39 in Lidl tomorrow...
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/kitchen/air-fryer-t17005/p28546

Currently:
    €70 in DID Electrical https://www.did.ie/tower-1350w-air-fryer-black-t17005-t17005-prd

€60 Amazon.UK price https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tower-T17005-Fryer-Circulation-System/dp/B0148N2U7K

Cheap way to get your feet wet...

Aldi were doing family pac salmon fillets for €6 and they were fantastic in the air fryer 10 mins on 180 and then 3 on 200 for a slightly crispy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Tower Air Fryer 1350 W, 3.2 Litre
    (2nd most popular after Duronic/1k Reviews 4 stars)

€39 in Lidl tomorrow...
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/kitchen/air-fryer-t17005/p28546

Currently:
    €70 in DID Electrical https://www.did.ie/tower-1350w-air-fryer-black-t17005-t17005-prd

€60 Amazon.UK price https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tower-T17005-Fryer-Circulation-System/dp/B0148N2U7K

Cheap way to get your feet wet...

Got this yesterday and did some oven chips, quite tasty and very quick. Only about 15 minutes while my oven would usually take that to heat up. so even for speed it would be worth it.

Advertisement