Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite boardgame?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I want this now, it's nearly 100 euro on amazon wut, only 30e on amazon.com.
    Must check the local store.

Saw it for €50 in Gamers World the other day.

🤪

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

nice might pick that up, will see how money goes, as I want bsg too. Enjoyed the gaming, hope to see ya again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Grahamgrey

We just started playing "Pandemic" and I likely it a lot. Pretty easy to play and explain the rules to newbies, yet there is strategy required. I haven't tried the new expansions "Pandemic - on the brink" and "Pandemic - in the lab" yet. If anyone has any opinion on the expansions I would love to know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

pandemic is great, epopel seem to like the expansions. The only reason i haven't bought it is absolutely everybody has it so it's pointless haha

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Dominion, Dominion, Dominion!

Have the base set, Prosperity and just got Intrigue, which seems really fun. Man I love Dominion, don't really know that many others who play it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

King of Tokyo
    Pandemic
    Munchkin
    And my fave...Eclipse with expansion.

All very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

A Study in Emerald.

Well Currently my favourite, but that could change :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Grahamgrey wrote: »
    We just started playing "Pandemic" and I likely it a lot. Pretty easy to play and explain the rules to newbies, yet there is strategy required. I haven't tried the new expansions "Pandemic - on the brink" and "Pandemic - in the lab" yet. If anyone has any opinion on the expansions I would love to know.

Had loads of fun with pandemic, so got the On The Brink expansion. It's a lot of fun again, can be a lot harder if you want it to be.

Also, the fact that all Pandemic and On The Brink fit into the one box is excellent, totally scratches my OCD itch.

In The lab also fits into the box as well, but I don't have that yet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Finally played Keyflower, amazing game. Contender for my new favourite boardgame.

ooh pretty good review there!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I like playing Pandemic on my own, I find it a little flat with other people though. There's no conflict!

Thinking of picking up the Seaside expansion for Dominion, as some of the cards in it sound like a lot of fun. I just wish I knew more Dominion players.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Two most popular with us are Zombicide and Letters from Whitechapel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Am currently playing Risk: Legacy with a group of friends, incredible game. Lots of fun making permanent changes to the board.

In my game, on the second turn, Brazil became a death trap for defending armies, with an ammo shortage.

Having lots of fun opening the envelopes as well, just opened one so far, but it's already changed the game a fair bit.

Eurogamer did a review of it, which is spoiler free.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

CatInABox wrote: »
    Am currently playing Risk: Legacy with a group of friends, incredible game. Lots of fun making permanent changes to the board.

In my game, on the second turn, Brazil became a death trap for defending armies, with an ammo shortage.

Having lots of fun opening the envelopes as well, just opened one so far, but it's already changed the game a fair bit.

Eurogamer did a review of it, which is spoiler free.

We couldn't bring ourselves to permamarking the board so put a transparent sheet over the board so we can play over and over again.

We couldn't bring ourselves to permamarking the board so put a transparent sheet over the board so we can play over and over again.

Yeah, the hardest part was convincing my partner to rip up the cards, write on the board, etc. I'll almost certainly be playing the board for years, so I didn't mind marking it at all.

Once you get over it though, it's nice knowing that any great ideas that you have can have a huge lasting effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

what happens after those 15 plays? game is completed and done and I would say you cannot really sell it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Risk and Escape from Colditz

At 15 plays I would consider a game more than paying for itself and not really care about reselling it.

At 15 plays I would consider a game more than paying for itself and not really care about reselling it.

Yeah, 15 is just getting started with me, I'd play them until it's totally exhausted.

I also don't resell games, so I don't have that problem. I like having the ability to pull them out occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Eimear_K

Hello! I just came across this thread; delighted to see some great tips!

There's a new game out recently called Caverna, it's supposed to be very like Agricola but better *suspicious face*.... Agricola is hands-down my favourite board game hence I'm very much tempted by Caverna - any reviews?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Eimear_K wrote: »
    I'm very much tempted by Caverna - any reviews?

A couple of links below for reviews.

Rahdo does a review and playthrough.
    As far as I remember he said prefered Agricola in this or a later video.

Tom Vassel I think was more in favour of caverna

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Eimear_K

Thank you! I'm intrigued, going to go for it, will let you know how I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Lords of Vegas for me is my favourite these days. It has some luck, some easy to understand strategic mechanics and plenty of take that gameplay which I think is a perfect blend.

I always think I like heavy euro style games but I always keep coming back to something like the above.

I do have to give credit to Cards against Humanity though. As it indulges my sick sense of humour but has also drawn in friends of mine who would never even entertain the idea of playing "designer games".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Eimear_K wrote: »
    Thank you! I'm intrigued, going to go for it, will let you know how I go!

Grey elephant's review seems to prefer Agricola as well.

I was thinking of getting it earlier in the year but thought €90.00 was too steep. I do agree after watching all the above reviews that no way would I play a 7 player game. Maybe if I got the chance to play a 2 or 3 player .
    Let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stephenamccann

Risk

Risk

Upgrade to Risk Legacy then, it's my favourite at the moment, so much so that we're on our second copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Advanced Civilisation is my all time favourite, but as other's said it takes an age to play. The bartering and trading is unmatched in other games (Settlers came after this game). I like Pandemic and Carcassonne. The funny thing is that I love playing board games but I'm always last when we play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

I have been introduced to so many fantastic games over the last two years, but as flawless and amazing as some may be, none have quite taken me the way Lords of Waterdeep did, and it is still my favourite board game today. Really hope they make a third expansion for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

The latest game I'm playing is Labyrinth war on terror and Nations.

I really like these as they both have a solitaire variant.

Nations because it's a fairly quick civ game and Labyrinth because I like the theme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

GodlessM wrote: »
    I have been introduced to so many fantastic games over the last two years, but as flawless and amazing as some may be, none have quite taken me the way Lords of Waterdeep did, and it is still my favourite board game today. Really hope they make a third expansion for it.

I absolutely agree. Something about this just draws you into it eventually. I didn't like LOWD initially when I tried. Now I'm addicted to it. The ipad version is good as well but plays a little too quickly to be able to keep track of.

Machi Koro is also one thats become a recent hit. The base game is a bit too predictable. With the expansions though it becomes a much longer, more aggressive game. I think the millionaires row expansion might be a bit too attack heavy. The first expansion is crucial to giving it longevity.

And the one game that keeps returning to the table. Pandemic. I personally think its a solitaire game but people seem to love it as a team game. As a game design its simply genius. Another game with a fantastic ipad/android version.

On the slightly heavier end of things, Forbidden Stars is one of my favourites. A strategy game with great dynamics to keep you guessing while everyone plays their race differently.

An interesting list I came across recently with some nice alternative suggestions as well.

The 10 Essential Gateway Boardgames for Converting Non-Gamers

Advertisement