Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite boardgame?

Options
  • 17-10-2013 4:50pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What is it? Would like to look up some peoples favourites. i haven't played enough yet to have a favourite tbh, have enjoyed everything i've played. Puerto rico is pretty good.
    Also would like to buy a good boardgame (have none) that the people I play with don't have so looking upa good range would be good.

EDIT: also any games you want to get currently that you like the look of?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The Fluxx games are consistently a lot of fun any time I play them. I have the Monty Python and the Wizard of Oz variants myself, but have played the regular and Star flavours too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Risk is top quality

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Love fluxx but the group has it, I might get that for myself as a later purchase though it's awesome. Risk is a great classic

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Love fluxx but the group has it, I might get that for myself as a later purchase though it's awesome. Risk is a great classic

There are lots of varieties of Fluxx though, and though some things remain the same, there are good gameplay changes with some of them, especially the more recent ones. Zombie Fluxx is a good example of a good variation, as is Monty Python Fluxx. As far as I know, Space Fluxx is more standard. (I've not played the basic one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I like Eclipse a lot at the moment. Opinions vary of course, for example I think both Fluxx and Risk are dreadful. :)

• Advertisement

Well I think YOU'RE dreadful :p

I'm looking at that Eclipse, it looks like a whole lot of fun, but complicated looking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

We're big into board games. A night with friends, wine and games is my ideal!

We love Settlers of Catan and Ticket To Ride. Husband is into Carcassonne but I'm not as pushed on it. It's a good game for two players though which is where settlers falls down - you need to have a minimum of three: one of the expansions has a way of playing with two but it involves "ghost" players and is a bit crap

Oh, and I just bought my husband the battlestar galactica game. He's plays games with workmates too and none of then have that so he's planning a boys might playing it soon. It's meant to be good - someone gets assigned as a cylon at the beginning and has to lie for the game. It's 3 hours a game though

Have you been to the shop Gamersworld on Jervis St? (If you are in Dublin of course) loads of choice and friendly staff. They're open late some nights for people to play war hammer etc too

The Gamersworld guys seem to be pretty decent alright. I've seen games of BSG (with the Pegasus expansion) last a full day at cons, it does look pretty awesome though.

A game I forgot to mention that is a huge amount of fun (and hair tearing frustration) is Robo Rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Shiminay wrote: »
    Well I think YOU'RE dreadful :p

I'm looking at that Eclipse, it looks like a whole lot of fun, but complicated looking :)

Eclipse is not nearly as complicated as it looks. There are a lot of bits but the design is quite incredible. After my first game I find I rarely need to look at the rules, everything you need to know is on the components, little icons indicating what you can do are everywhere.

The play time estimate of 30 minutes per player is pretty accurate in my experience but that does make a six player game longer than some people might like. Organising the components in to bags and getting everyone to help with the set up is important in keeping the time down as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

this seems like a decent pic for me to have a look around

boardgamemap.png

Been looking at some, these sound interesting to get. king of tokyo ( + explansion power up), battlestar galactica, Jamaica, pillars of the earth, dominion, Agricola, el grande, small world, fluxx, munchkin, zombie dice explansion, 7 wonders, eclipse, for sale

Maybe king of tokyo, and either jamaica or bsg and some smaller games like munchkin/fluxx etc.

I've heard very good things about Munchkin but never played it.

Great image btw - loads of games we've never heard of!

Munchkin is fun and silly and well worth playing. I have the Cthulhu variant and some ad-ons (the Penny Arcade and some sort of sickly pink coloured fairy related one that looked silly enough to dump in with Cthulhu mythos things for fun).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Munchkin is great! We have Axe-Cop Munchkin, its crazy nonsense, good fun! Works best with 3 or more players though.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

check this list:

http://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

anything in top 100 is OK, top 20 is must have ;) I don't see really bad game in top 50

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I LOVE Munchkin Axe Cop.

3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

chess and GO, if you are only two, RISK and monopoly if you are more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

My favourite game is Twilight Imperium, but it's a monster. It can take 6 hours for an experienced group, and eight or more if there are newbies.

Think it's a bit much to get that starting my collection, but would love to play it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Civ board game probably. Takes a bit long though, sometimes bordering on 5 hours for a game.

Would love a game of civ, would need to be the whole evening eep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

I think my favorites would be Twilight Struggle for 2 players, and Eclipse (with expansion) for 3+

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

The Resistance

Hands down my favourite game! And a great investment because it caters for 5-10 players (Avalon version really adds to it too, or at least gives you plenty of options)

🤪

avalon looks really cool, people say the mission cards in resistance make it much better but we haven't used them much.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Formula D is good for a group boardgame. We've also had great fun playing Pandemic, zombie dice, munchkin and ticket to ride. Although we played the Europe board of Ticket to Ride the other night and I didn't think it was as good as the American board for new players. There are too many rule variations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hard to beat Betrayal At House On The Hill. All that exploratory teamwork at the beginning even though you know one of you will inevitably die and/or turn evil and try to murder everyone else leads to banter, wild accusations and a really engaging game.

You sell this game well and I wish to subscribe to its newsletter. I also see it's a tabletop episode I haven't gotten to yet, excellent.

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    Hard to beat Betrayal At House On The Hill. All that exploratory teamwork at the beginning even though you know one of you will inevitably die and/or turn evil and try to murder everyone else leads to banter, wild accusations and a really engaging game.

I want this now, it's nearly 100 euro on amazon wut, only 30e on amazon.com.
    Must check the local store.

Advertisement