Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I didn't quote that one for relevance but it did make me laugh out loud, recedite.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

On the Garda Traffic Twitter account:

459205.PNG

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

459433.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

39930151_2236819216537534_7329838251605229568_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0bb4c4dbd28089c690446f4dd7e019ab&oe=5C36F16A

40240011_2728363150721521_7599513746267963392_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=37c9fa8b539551a149b8441448f16ccb&oe=5C32036A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

40449641_1997321853687997_6117019854642872320_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&oh=1e883d65a1ed77d5d8e0ec602af00b0e&oe=5BFA8A5B

Riiiiiiight....

img_2957.jpg

Alternatively....

Let-Me-Touch-Him.jpg

460137.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

1535814587-20180831.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Local Grandmother Heartbroken After Grandkids Start At Educate Together

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2018/08/29/local-grandmother-heartbroken-after-grandkids-start-at-educate-together/
    WATERFORD harridan Deirdre Malley has spent the morning in floods of tears as she attempted to come to terms with her son’s decision to send his kids to a local Educate Together, instead of a “normal Catholic national school”.

Malley, 78, had managed to hold it together with the absolute minimum amount of passive aggressiveness throughout the summer after her son David and his sly, trouble-making protestant wife, initially told her that they would be sending their twin girls to Knockamassan Educate Together, believing that they would come to their senses and send the kids to St. Colmfearshagh of the Bleeding Aorta NS, which they were in the catchment area for and where ‘there were places readily available for **** sake’.

However, Mrs. Malley was inconsolable this morning as pictures of her uniform-less granddaughters standing at the gates of the Educate Together surrounded by ‘all sorts of children’ arrived to her mobile phone, and the reality dawned on her that her family now contained children which would never see the gates of heaven.

“It doesn’t even look like a school, it looks like a clinic you’d go to if you wanted your breasts checked if you could afford to go private,” sobbed Mrs. Malley, writing her son out of her will.

“A school shouldn’t look like that. A school should have pebbledash, and look like the kind of place you’d go to learn a devastating truth about your family. This ‘Educate Together’ place has signs up in multiple languages! It has murals on the walls of kids, and they’re not even all white! It doesn’t even have a water tower that smells like dead birds!”

“What sort of education are my grandkids going to get at all, eh? They won’t even be getting Holy Communion! This is David thinking that that his children won’t have an oppressive, iron-rod Catholic presence in his kids’ lives, constantly berating them for being filthy sinners in the eyes of the lord, teaching them right from wrong by terrifying them into conforming… well, he’s got another thing coming. I’m still alive, aren’t I?”

Malley is now determined to spend the rest of the day thinking up ways to belittle her grandkids achievements at school and dismiss them with tuts and harrumphs whenever they talk about their new friends and teachers, as well as dropping regular tidbits about how well her neighbours grandchildren are getting on at ‘real school’.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

40655677_1922950041098939_7750259934352113664_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=130440190823672f4a05022fb8a0ec73&oe=5C38964E

1536238906-20180906.png

Another Spanish amateur steps up and renders Jesus, Mary and Joseph as you've never seen them before:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45455125

460637.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

460725.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

Pope Francis needs our prayers. Pope Francis has suffered from illness and this is the second time he has fallen in a month. Pope Francis has only one lungs because the other has been removed due to infections. He needs more of our prayers than ever. We ask all Catholics and non Catholics all over the world to pray for Pope Francis so that he can continue his reforms and helping the poor as the leader of humanity.
    Our goal is to reach ten million Hail Mary for Pope. The campaign has just began. Share this message to 5 groups in order to support Pope Francis' work. Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with you. You are blessed among women and Jesus the fruit of your womb is blessed. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us poor sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
    Don't forget to share to help us reach our goal of 10miillion Holy Jesus :heart: .
    We can achieve it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Pope Francis needs our prayers. Pope Francis has suffered from illness and this is the second time he has fallen in a month. Pope Francis has only one lungs because the other has been removed due to infections. He needs more of our prayers than ever. We ask all Catholics and non Catholics all over the world to pray for Pope Francis so that he can continue his reforms and helping the poor as the leader of humanity.
    Our goal is to reach ten million Hail Mary for Pope. The campaign has just began. Share this message to 5 groups in order to support Pope Francis' work. Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with you. You are blessed among women and Jesus the fruit of your womb is blessed. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us poor sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
    Don't forget to share to help us reach our goal of 10miillion Holy Jesus :heart: .
    We can achieve it.
    Eh? Waiting for a punchline to this joke

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

Sorry... meant to put up that this was a Facebook post my mother's friend had up. I find it hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I love that they're crowd funding hail mary's. If they reach the 10 million have they any stretch goals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I notice they are using a variant of the Hail Mary...?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,222 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

pauldla wrote: »
    I notice they are using a variant of the Hail Mary...?
    There are other clues in the message to suggest that the whole thing is a translation into English by somebody who doesn't speak fluent English. The Pope has "only one lungs", for example, and there is a stated goal "to reach ten million Hail Mary for Pope".

So, I'm guessing that someone translated the Hail Mary from some other language into English without being aware of the conventional English rendering of the prayer.

Phew. Thought it might have been the protestants up to no good as usual. Just think of the damage 10 million slightly defective Hail Marys could do.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,222 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Good point! He's already down to just the one lung. This is not the moment to be getting things wrong.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    So, I'm guessing that someone translated the Hail Mary from some other language into English without being aware of the conventional English rendering of the prayer.

Yup. It reads like a pretty direct translation of the French version, for example (which, for my sins (yuk, yuk), I can still remember from when I first learned it in 1983).

Just think of the damage 10 million slightly defective Hail Marys could do.
    We can at least blame Malachy McCourt for some of that.

Let's not get started about Gladly the cross-eyed bear...

Let's not get started about Gladly the cross-eyed bear...

My favourite biblical character!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Phew. Thought it might have been the protestants up to no good as usual. Just think of the damage 10 million slightly defective Hail Marys could do.

Hail Mary's aren't the problem,
    It's the people using them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Cabaal wrote: »
    Hail Mary's aren't the problem,
    It's the people using them :pac:

So the only defence to a bad guy with a hail mary is a good guy with a hail mary?

Advertisement