Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Not sure whether to put this one here or in the hazards thread, but following two prominent disasters for the national airline, Malaysia has sprouted a new airline - curiously similar in certain respects to a well-known Irish-based airline - whose owners believe that the two disasters were a result of divine retribution. Hence Rayani Air will be reciting prayers before takeoff, ensuring that FA's are suitably modestly attired and won't be serving alcohol or pork:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world/malaysia-s-new-islamic-airline-takes-off-with-a-prayer/story-M0E9WZZVkO3c9p6ugX0QiI.html
    The short domestic flight from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia’s biggest city, begins with a recital of Prophet Muhammad’s supplication before his travel. The passengers - most of them Muslims - cup their hands, as a crew member murmurs a short prayer over the loudspeaker just before takeoff. Malaysia’s Rayani Air took to the skies over the weekend with a clear bailiwick. It is the country’s first Islamic airline, offering flights that adhere to Islamic rules, including prayers, no serving of alcohol or meals with pork, and a strict dress code for Muslim female flight attendants.

Ironically, the people who answered the call of conservative Islam and started Rayani Air are Hindus, perhaps an indication that a business opportunity knows no religious boundary. The founders of the airline, which currently flies to three domestic destinations using two Boeing 737s, are Ravi Alagendrran and his wife, Karthiyani Govindan. They used parts of their first names for the airline’s name. The idea for Rayani Air grew out of much-publicised complaints by conservative Muslims who believed that two major air disasters for the national Malaysia Airlines - Flight 370 that went missing in March 2014 and Flight 17 downed a few months later over Ukraine - were caused by Allah’s wrath. Their solution: Airlines must adopt strict Islamic customs to avoid divine retribution.

The reaction to the disasters, and the creation of the airline that operated its inaugural flight on Sunday, is an example of rising hard-line Islamic values in Malaysia, where Muslims account for about 60 percent of the country’s 30 million people. "We are answering the call of many Malaysians who wanted an Islamic airline,” Rayani’s managing director, Jaafar Zamhari, told The Associated Press. “We are not talking about being a holy airline or flying to holy destinations. We just want to provide an alternative to travelers, but we are open to all races and religions.” Alagendrran or his wife couldn’t be immediately reached for comments, but in remarks to local media, he had said that “anyone wishing to travel in a modest and alcohol-free environment will feel right at home.”

On a 55-minute flight Tuesday (delayed by two hours) from Kuala Lumpur to the northeastern city of Kota Baru, more than 100 passengers were greeted by Muslim female flight attendants wearing black headscarves, long pants and lime-green jackets. A prayer was recited before takeoff and passengers were served halal food, where animals are slaughtered according to Islamic procedures. At least one passenger said she chose the airline because of its Islamic credentials.

“It’s quite important for me because first of all, I am a Muslim, and second, Malaysia is an Islamic country,” said Che Masnita Atikah, a 23-year-old student. “It’s quite important to have this kind of airline to represent Malaysia and its image as an Islamic country.” Rayani Air is the fourth Islamic airline in the world after Royal Brunei Airlines, Saudi Arabian Airlines and Iran Air. Jaafar said that male and female passengers are not segregated, and that there is no dress code for travelers. “Even if they come in shorts, they are most welcome,” he said. “We respect the differences among us.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I bet if flights to knock were going in the 50s there would have been a ring of the rosary led by the flight stewards.

Now that I think of it when my mum used to go to Lourdes with her parish outing that actually used to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Looks like the budget airline Rayani Air is seeking to take market share from the national airline. It does seem strangely familiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

recedite wrote: »
    Looks like the budget airline Rayani Air is seeking to take market share from the national airline. It does seem strangely familiar.
    If you alluding to Ryanair then **** aerlingus, they fleeced us so bad that the budget option to the UK was the boat. I'm glad this days are behind us.

I can't imagine Islamic airlines doing Ryanair calenders. Probably pictures of best suicide bombers or some other Shiite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Worztron

372932.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

The answer is obvious..

tumblr_ndgr3uS20r1smsmqro1_1280.gif

Lemmy again..

12400776_546721012157694_2088418858545946797_n.jpg?oh=d87a173da0777da89121daf7138e82ea&oe=5711153E

373085.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

robindch wrote: »
    Now, girls, here's Angela. Angela is going to tell you about lovemaking! It might sound a little bit ikky, but such is god's wonderfulness that even though it's a little bit ikky, it's actually a little bit nice too!

With premature ejaculation goodness.

And here is part 2 ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've only watched about 10 seconds' worth, at 3:20, but that's enough to know that that woman has the most boring sex life on the planet.

kylith wrote: »
    I've only watched about 10 seconds' worth, at 3:20, but that's enough to know that that woman has the most boring sex life on the planet.

Shouldn't sex only be used for reproduction and not for pleasure as it's a sin? That's what the good lord says in his books, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

I remember my 6th class sex ed video. A brief chat about the penis with some hand-drawn ones on a flip chart. Followed by a discussion on how to be a gentleman. Funny looking back but also worrying how we weren't told about condoms, safe sex and reproduction. Hopefully it's been updated.

We read Girl Talk, I think it was called, and were told to always wash our 'front bottom'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I remember my 6th class sex ed video. A brief chat about the penis with some hand-drawn ones on a flip chart. Followed by a discussion on how to be a gentleman. Funny looking back but also worrying how we weren't told about condoms, safe sex and reproduction. Hopefully it's been updated.

Updated yes, but still no talk of condoms or safe sex

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I remember my 6th class sex ed video. A brief chat about the penis with some hand-drawn ones on a flip chart.

It wasn't like this was it? (NSFW!)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

We read Girl Talk, I think it was called, and were told to always wash our 'front bottom'.

Ah I remember Girl Talk! And that graphic photo of a scarily hairy naked man! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ah I remember Girl Talk! And that graphic photo of a scarily hairy naked man! :eek:

Hairy naked men are just fine. We're nice. It's easy to get used to us. We're cuddly and caring.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Hairy naked men are just fine. We're nice. It's easy to get used to us. We're cuddly and caring.

Oh now that I'm grown up, I have zero problem with hairy men! ;)

It's just when your mum gives you that book as a ten year old, and you've never seen a willy before, let alone such a hairy one ... it's a little bit overwhelming!

I lived in a house full of men, I knew what a penis looked like. By the time Girl Talk showed up on the curriculum I'd been reading Back Street Heroes for years. That's an eye opener for a child. And probably explains a lot.

The bit that always cracked me up was 'Tommy has a penis! Why can't I have a penis?!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I knew what a penis looked like.

I never had any sex education in primary school - must have missed it when moving schools a few times. I was given a lot of cringey books by my mother, who sat me down to tell me how much she didn't enjoy sex (this conversation formed a significant springboard to my hedonistic rebellion in mid teens where I set out to prove her wrong on everything :) ). However, I liked art, and particularly sculpture. Age 14, I made a sculpture of an anatomically correct naked man in art class (at least a year before we got our "period" talk in secondary) much to the horror of the teachers, and went on to sell it for £50 in the Guinness Art Show.

Lack of sex ed didn't hold me back, thankfully ;)

373204.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

1044719_1058897454141142_3725481132396638597_n.jpg?oh=437ec7984209e40e47872fba52834e38&oe=57051018&__gda__=1459473767_4c90511d380e70271b08e392bf81cf26

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So what you're saying is that I can eat beaver on Friday and still be a good little Catholic??
    I am not sure Sister Joan, who was my religion teacher, in school is aware of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that I can eat beaver on Friday and still be a good little Catholic??
    I am not sure Sister Joan, who was my religion teacher, in school is aware of this

I eat beaver any chance I get; no matter what day of the week it is.

373315.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

Worztron wrote: »
    373315.jpg

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

373388.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
    Saying "only a Sith deals in absolutes" is an absolute in and of itself, so there was a certain amount of irony in that line. It's pointing out the hypocrisy of pretending your point of view is the only "right" one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

fd8zzc.jpg

Advertisement