Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I bought another classic boat

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Oh ye of little faith, this man has skills.......Or needs new contact lenses.

Anyway, a quick power wash and a lick of paint and she'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭snowwolf

I just can't wait to see how this one turns out . I bet we will all be astonished . it will be like jesus turning water to wine . A man of many talents .

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭insebayguy

Just back from galavanting about the Caribbean on the "Brilliance of the Seas", not a bad ship but I bet nothing compared to what you'll make out of this one. Doing a bit of catch up here and can't wait to see how this turns out. Have you managed to move the other boats on yet?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I might have the little one gone and hold onto the Glastron a bit longer can't be without a running boat :) I ran into a little problem with the cruiser it's one of those things you should always look out for when buying a boat, it turns out there is money owed to the marina and the marina owner has the right to hold onto the boat till he is paid so if I had bought her I would also have to pay what is owed :eek: we are still working out a solution so she is still on the cards just have to wait and see how it all turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭insebayguy

Christ. That could have gotten smelly. Hopefully it works out for the best either way. This just may not be the one for you but see how it plays out I suppose. Not sure of the legality of the marina owner holding (or putting a lien) on goods/stock against payment. I know it's the normal/done thing but I have a niggling feeling that legally it can't be done. They can certainly pursue payment of any outstanding monies owed through the usual legal channels etc but I think they're not in a position to seize the craft against payment (unless they're customs/revenue). Might be worth looking into. I know usually in these cases the person owed money is grateful to accept a percentage of the outstanding fees rather than letting them build up & getting nothing in the end.

• Advertisement

Fergal i hope all works out well for you . you deserve it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Surely the outstanding debt rests with the deceased ex-owners estate. You removed the boat from the marina with agreement with the marina owner presumably, therefore your contract is with him. Had he taken ownership of the boat then??

Also, theoretically you could bill him for the cost of removal ;-)

I would advise using a solicitor if it all goes south but in the meantime I wonder if you played (respectful) hardball, mentioning the above facts (if accurate), would the marina owner give it up as a lost cause.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Ferris wrote: »
    Surely the outstanding debt rests with the deceased ex-owners estate. You removed the boat from the marina with agreement with the marina owner presumably, therefore your contract is with him. Had he taken ownership of the boat then??

Also, theoretically you could bill him for the cost of removal ;-)

I would advise using a solicitor if it all goes south but in the meantime I wonder if you played (respectful) hardball, mentioning the above facts (if accurate), would the marina owner give it up as a lost cause.

I didn't pay for the lift out, not sure if it was the new owner or the insurance also not sure if the now owner bought it off the insurance company or the family but the money is owed to the marina that lifted her and where she is now.
    Why do I pick up on things that have so many compilations :roll eyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Roughly how much are we talking, could we crowd fund to get it over the line? I for one can't wait to see you progress this project!

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Roughly how much are we talking, could we crowd fund to get it over the line? I for one can't wait to see you progress this project!

Thanks for the offer very kind but I don't want to give in just yet maybe when push comes to shove I'll have too, it's Easter now and all the boats will be going back in the water so the pressure will be on him to get things sorted.
    Living on carers allowance funds are very low so I was thinking of maybe setting up a "fund:it" account http://fundit.ie/browse if thats possible and also look into seeing if there are any grants from the Irish wheelchair association as I think you can get one to convert a holiday home or mobile.
    One of our members here has also kindly offered to supply the plywood to do the floor ;) and I will be doing a lot more beg, steel and borrowing when the time comes.:)

As a family we were meant to be on the water :D and it would be great to be able to bring some other wheelchair users out for a day trip so hopefully it will all come together before I get too old for this sanding fibreglass crap :)

DSC00537.jpg

• Advertisement

I hope it works out for you fergal ... your a good guy and need a bit of luck now that the new season is starting . fingers crossed for you .

Well Microboat is now gone to a new home :( it seems a shame to loose the little girl just so a big fat girl can go for a spin on a truck :)

when you are done with that big fat girl . she will be trim and looking good .:)

Advertisement