Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I bought another classic boat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

:DI was being cheeky! But that image of the Seagull brought back horrid memories of rowing home because it got damp/moist/took a humour/went on strike.
    The 'Mistral' car body in the advert does look somewhat similar to the old Lotus Eleven, nice lines.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

All filled and sanded down I also made a mockup of the screen from some scrap plastic. I'm still not sure if I will go through the hassle of adding a steering system and throttle control might just try it with the tiller arm first and see how goes. Next job is to coat it in pre-kote primer.

20131115_161746_zpsf4c50a04.jpg

20131115_162008_zpsb70d3ad9.jpg

20131116_121802_zps74fcf789.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

All primed up with Pre-kote, now what colour to paint it I have some red,white and black left over :confused:

20131125_145227_zpscecda84e.jpg

20131125_145209_zpsad0ae407.jpg

20131125_145155_zps62a15fd5.jpg

20131125_145146_zpsa4f35de3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Has to be red :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Has to be red :D
    Agreed :)

• Advertisement

I didn't win the little johnson on adverts or should I say he wouldn't accept my offer He said he would prefer to see it rust away :eek: :) so I will have to go with the Merc and that's why I was thinking black with chrome trim but if it's red you want then red it shall be :D

003.jpg

I too agree on red - Rochelle red by International would be nice. And you need a wheel, The effect of a tiller bar would spoil the image.

I just told a guy on another post that it's not worth the effort converting these engines to remote :( on this boat as it's so small I would also have to make my own steering and remote cables to fit.
    I will have to think about this it might be worth the challenge :D

Looking at this photo again it looks like the steering wheel is just for show and doesn't seem to be connected to the outboard :confused: I think I will also need a bikini babe to help me work it out :D

file.php?id=1822&t=1

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Tiller extension would really work either as it's too deep craft?

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    :confused: I think I will also need a bikini babe to help me work it out :D
    Shame on you Fergal, an' you a married man! Here's one (to keep you out of mischief) :p:p:D:D

Shame on you Fergal, an' you a married man! Here's one (to keep you out of mischief) :p:p:D:D

There would definitely be no room for a steering wheel :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

There would definitely be no room for a steering wheel :eek:

Thered be no boat

I rang up about this little trailer as I thought I could do it up to fit, I asked was it roadworthy as I would be towing it home he assured me it was and that the bearings were just done and it had good tyres. So off I went this morning to have a look The guy couldn't make it but would send his brother around to meet me.
    WELL HOLY CRAP :eek: the tow hitch was hanging on by a flake of rust and the rim on one of the wheels was gone I don't mean buckled I mean gone the inner tube was visible all around the inside of the wheel and the tube was sprayed silver to look like the wheel :eek: What a chancer :mad:

25089373.jpeg

I mean gone the inner tube was visible all around the inside of the wheel and the tube was sprayed silver to look like the wheel

Well now that's a new one i've never heard of.... spraying an inner tube silver to make it look like a rim...god some people are just lousy f...s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I rang up about this little trailer as I thought I could do it up to fit, I asked was it roadworthy as I would be towing it home he assured me it was and that the bearings were just done and it had good tyres. So off I went this morning to have a look The guy couldn't make it but would send his brother around to meet me.
    WELL HOLY CRAP :eek: the tow hitch was hanging on by a flake of rust and the rim on one of the wheels was gone I don't mean buckled I mean gone the inner tube was visible all around the inside of the wheel and the tube was sprayed silver to look like the wheel :eek: What a chancer :mad:

So did it tow home alright :)

Surely you couldn't leave that bargain! :)

Actually on a similar note I once drove from Dublin to the very coastal tip of Connemara to look at a boat. The pics looked good, talked to the guy on the phone he assured me it was in good nick. So one Sunday morning we set off to view it. Had all the gear , tailboard etc, and were set to tow it home. It was a Dell Eurosport 15 with a Yam 50.

After a long drive we pulled up outside his house. Got out said hello to the guy, took one walk around the boat, gave him a dirty look...got back in the car and went home.

He told me on the phone there was no rust, all was in great conditions. The photos much have been taken years ago.

It was in bits. Trailer a ball of rust, engine mounts in rag order, wood all rotten, seats destroyed, hull fouled, about an inch of leaves in the bottom, he had the engine already started when we pulled up and it was spluttering and jerking away and dropping revs. Did he think I wouldn`t notice.

It's not looking pretty so far plus the cable is a bit long so I will have to cut it and rejoin it "not something I recommend doing":eek: I did play around with a chain drive steering system using pulleys but I think the cable is the best of a bad lot:) I might cut a hole at an angle on the back of the boat and see if I can bring the cable inside instead of coming over the top. Next job is to make a plate from the engine to a link arm connected to the steering shaft, I also have to build a dash to take the steering system but I'm not sure if I will do the throttle and gear shift as they will be right behind me if I need them:)

20131204_160646_zps718aa887.jpg

As we are having a bit of good weather I decided to do the painting.

20131209_150931_zps2bee048d.jpg

20131209_151012_zps90a02a21.jpg

This is the look I went for.

20131210_155417_zps347c0688.jpg

I also made a little dash.

20131210_155441_zps6bdf2437.jpg

The finish isn't too bad so I don't think I'll go through the fine sanding and polishing as I will be using it just for a bit of messing about :D

20131210_155458_zpsb926e1ac.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Wow it's nice to see something that was so weathered with time given a new lease of life! :O

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭toshiba2010

can,t wait to see it finished . looks great already i,d say it will be a cracker when it,s done . fergal . you are a genius .:)

• Advertisement

I spent a bit more than I wanted to on this but the boat does look kind of Christmassy :D I had to sell a 65 hp mercury to pay for it :( but the guy's in http://www.parnells.ie/parnell.swf looked after me well big thumbs up to them great service.
    As it's a motorbike trailer it will need a few bit's and pieces to get right but all in all it should do the job.

20131211_154159_zpsc9a1c3c1.jpg

20131211_154211_zps7b7a5375.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That looks fab!

top notch work as usual Fergal.. going to be interesting to see how you sort the trailer out

Busy day today on the boats :) made a seat fitted the windshield, bow handle and a bit of chrome trim.

20140122_151503_zpsf38a505e.jpg

20140122_151415_zps1140d473.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭insebayguy

I've definitely dropped the ball in recent times with regard to stalking you Fergal. Will be making up for that though, keeping a close eye on this thread. That little boat looks superb fella.

That is so CUTE!!!

Please let us know when it's going to be out on the water - never mind stalking him on this forum, I want to stalk him in real life and see that little thing afloat :D

I might do a Liffey run in her or a spin down the canals, it will be a site to see alright as I'm 6'4" and make it look like a sail boat. :D

All stalkers welcome here insebayguy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

You've really done something special with this, especially the colour scheme. Well done :D

I think I may have found a simple way to connect up the steering :) after spending a bit of time making up different brackets to connect the engine to the steering link I noticed a little hole that was plugged next to the choke so I just bolted the balljoint end of the link arm straight in with a spacer to bring it out passed the choke leaver and it works a charm "must be something wrong":)

20140421_200234.jpg

• Advertisement

That is so far over my head, it's suffering altitude-sickness :D

But can I just say, what a seriously cool-looking engine!

(and I bet it's more reliable than ours :mad:)
    I think I may have found a simple way to connect up the steering :) after spending a bit of time making up different brackets to connect the engine to the steering link I noticed a little hole that was plugged next to the choke so I just bolted the balljoint end of the link arm straight in with a spacer to bring it out passed the choke leaver and it works a charm "must be something wrong":)

20140421_200234.jpg

Advertisement