Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't see why a waiter should get €10 for opening a €100 bottle of wine, and just €1.50 for a €15 bottle. Do they really deserve €8.50 more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't see why a waiter should get €10 for opening a €100 bottle of wine, and just €1.50 for a €15 bottle. Do they really deserve €8.50 more.

Why should they deserve anything if you're buying a 100 euro bottle of fcukin wine ? They should be tipping you in the form of a discount for spending so much money to try get you back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

Mr.McLovin wrote: »
    its not America argument - translates to - i'm a mean bastard who has never had to do a shít job
    Well actually the people who haven't had to do **** jobs will proabaly have more money to throw around.

Also.. make an effort to write better

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I don't tip generally speaking, I find it kinda stupid that people would expect you to pay extra for a service that's already included in the cost of the food.

Except that the cost of the food does not include the cost of the service unless it is clearly noted on the menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

MadsL wrote: »
    Unless they are a toilet attendant, obviously.

Yeah, well I'm getting me coat aren't I?

None of them offered to wipe, so they don't get a tip from me.

• Advertisement

None of them offered to wipe, so they don't get a tip from me.

Don't get a tip or just the tip?

Except that the cost of the food does not include the cost of the service unless it is clearly noted on the menu.

Of course it does. It would be impossible to run a business without factoring service into the cost paid by the customer. You pay a tenner for a main course you're paying a tenner for it to be cooked, plated and laid in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

LasTime wrote: »
    Well actually the people who haven't had to do **** jobs will proabaly have more money to throw around.

Also.. make an effort to write better

they usually tip the least

also... I'll type how I want

• Site Banned Posts: 24 call_me_early

i will leave a modest euro coin if ive had coffee in a pub or café if the service was good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

its not America argument - translates to - i'm a mean bastard who has never had to do a shít job

No it doesn't. It translates to - it's not the social norm here.
    And thank fuck it isn't. Why should the customer be asked to pay someone for something they've already been paid for? Why is that gratuity only extended to certain businesses? Why is the customer automatically labeled as stingy and not the shitty, slave labour boss?
    If someone has been particularly helpful I might leave them something extra, otherwise, not a hope. And if it's in a place where such a gratuity is expected, regardless of service, I'd make a point of leaving nothing.

And believe me, I've worked some of the shittiest jobs you can imagine and never expected a tip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

LasTime wrote: »
    What'd Steve Buscemi got to do with tipping?

I am the only one around here who watches movie films?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

That can't be right. I've never seen this in any Irish restaurant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

wazky wrote: »
    Tip cows instead, much better craic altogether.

or the local quare one!

No it doesn't. It translates to - it's not the social norm here.
    And thank fuck it isn't. Why should the customer be asked to pay someone for something they've already been paid for? Why is that gratuity only extended to certain businesses? Why is the customer automatically labeled as stingy and not the shitty, slave labour boss?
    If someone has been particularly helpful I might leave them something extra, otherwise, not a hope. And if it's in a place where such a gratuity is expected, regardless of service, I'd make a point of leaving nothing.

And believe me, I've worked some of the shittiest jobs you can imagine and never expected a tip.

Well you are entitled to your opinion but for me if i'm in a bar and I buy a round of drinks and its dropped down quickly and with a smile letting somebody keep the change isn't exactly crippling the finances and you will also find the next round is often given preference by your waiter/waitress the next time the round is due, its win/win imo

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I was referring to the OP's point that it's somehow still expected to tip for shit service. In Ireland, it's not.

I tip 10% as standard, unless the service was particularly muck. They're getting nowt then.

sorry it wasn't a dig at you just the argument, I hadn't even seen your post when I typed that :)

I totally agree with bad service - no tip too

That can't be right. I've never seen this in any Irish restaurant.

Need to step up from the chipper and Supermacs ;) :pac:

http://www.salamanca.ie/Menu.html
    Service Charge Not Included

http://www.pastafresca.ie/system/menus/1/original/pasta.fresca.lunch.pdf
    Gratuity is discretional and is distributed entirely to the team that has served you today. There is a service charge of 12% added to the tables of 6 or more. Otherwise a service charge is not included in your bill.

http://www.dobbins.ie/restaurant/menu.html
    10% Service Charge Will Be Added to your Final Bill

Well you are entitled to your opinion but for me if i'm in a bar and I buy a round of drinks and its dropped down quickly and with a smile letting somebody keep the change isn't exactly crippling the finances and you will also find the next round is often given preference by your waiter/waitress the next time the round is due, its win/win imo

I used to hate the fact that the very same people who would be all "keep the change" in front of their mates in the pub, would then be the ones making you root through change on a freezing cold night, with rain dripping off the back of the helmet down my neck so they could get their 20p change on a twenty quid pizza order.

I made a point of letting at least a quids worth of heat out of the house and 15 degrees of heat loss out of the pizza before I found the 20p.

Thats just stating a service charge is added to the bill (which I've only encountered in the tourist heavy areas). It doesn't mean that if its not stated that the business isnt accounting for the cost of service. Which is the case is the majority of places I've been and not just the chippers.

Its kinda of a given here in Ireland where there is no expectation of a tip to cover service that the cost of the food on the menu covers the cost of the meal as a whole unless stated otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'd be pretty certain the other 2 posters who said you were wrong have seen things like that on menus.

Your quote was
    I would agree with the others that this is wrong. Perhaps its just your wording. Your examples are showing the cost of food DOES include the cost of service, unless noted on menus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I made a point of letting at least a quids worth of heat out of the house and 15 degrees of heat loss out of the pizza before I found the 20p.

I HATE when delivery drivers deliberately spend ages shuffling through their pockets for your change in an attempt to make you uncomfortable enough to just say keep it. Some taxi drivers try to pull it as well. I used to be a delivery driver myself so I know well how easy it is to have change ready for a person.

If it's really close to a round number I'll just say keep the change an not think anything of it, but if it's gonna be at all awkward and they try to pull this crap I'll stand and wait for every last penny.

• Advertisement

I HATE when delivery drivers deliberately spend ages shuffling through their pockets for your change in an attempt to make you uncomfortable enough to just say keep it. Some taxi drivers try to pull it as well. I used to be a delivery driver myself so I know well how easy it is to have change ready for a person.

If it's really close to a round number I'll just say keep the change an not think anything of it, but if it's gonna be at all awkward and they try to pull this crap I'll stand and wait for every last penny.

I never know whether its worse to wait while they root about for the change or say "dont worry about the change" when its too small to be a proper tip. Are they thinking "Thanks for not making me root for 40c" or "Yay 40c, thank you your highness, prick".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I never know whether its worse to wait while they root about for the change or say "dont worry about the change" when its too small to be a proper tip. Are they thinking "Thanks for not making me root for 40c" or "Yay 40c, thank you your highness, prick".

Always "Thanks for not making me root"

Most people don't tip in that job so nobody is going to consider you stingy for giving something when the majority give nothing. That's going on my experience from when I did that job during the boom time, it's likely even worse now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Jesus I think the exact same, sort of related but was in Captain Americas the other day and all the food came to €98.50 now I had nothing but 50s on me so I wasn't going to tip 50 but the €1.50 tip was surely an insult considering the size of the bill.
    Felt like a right príck leaving, as they'd provided a great service that was deserving of the tip.

rubadub wrote: »
    I'd be pretty certain the other 2 posters who said you were wrong have seen things like that on menus.

Your quote was

I would agree with the others that this is wrong. Perhaps its just your wording. Your examples are showing the cost of food DOES include the cost of service, unless noted on menus.

Maybe my wording was wrong.

If I saw this on menu in Ireland

Lovely grub €19.99

I would not expect to pay €19.99 - I would leave a tip unless I saw "Service included or a X% service charge will be added to your bill. I would make a point of asking if service was included.

When I ran a kitchen I calculated a food cost multiple (plus a can get away with factor) to calculate menu prices but not service costs as we added a % to the bill.

SV wrote: »
    Jesus I think the exact same, sort of related but was in Captain Americas the other day and all the food came to €98.50 now I had nothing but 50s on me so I wasn't going to tip 50 but the €1.50 tip was surely an insult considering the size of the bill.
    Felt like a right príck leaving, as they'd provided a great service that was deserving of the tip.

You know most places will break a fifty if you ask. I'd be very insulted if you left 1.50 on a hundred quid tab, in fact I may ask you if something was wrong with the service.

Lovely grub €19.99

I would not expect to pay €19.99
    - I would leave a tip unless I saw "Service included or a X% service charge will be added to your bill. I would make a point of asking if service was included.

When I ran a kitchen I calculated a food cost multiple (plus a can get away with factor) to calculate menu prices but not service costs as we added a % to the bill.

That's where you must differ from everyone else because that is exactly how it is. VAT, service charges and everything is rolled into the advertised price here. Unless a separate service charge is stated the price of the food is the price you must pay. Maybe certain areas are starting to adopt the stateside way of things because of the tourists but generally speaking thats not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You know most places will break a fifty if you ask.

True I guess, I just figured I'll make it up the next time I'm in there, they usually have the same staff on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Lovely grub €19.99

I would not expect to pay €19.99 - I would leave a tip unless I saw "Service included or a X% service charge will be added to your bill. I would make a point of asking if service was included.

So the idea is the customer is meant to pay your staff after they buy their food at an advertised price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I rarely tip. I don't really care if they don't get paid enough. Get another job if you're not happy with the pay. I'm also a student so I don't have a lot of money to give away to someone who actually has a job.

• Advertisement

That's where you must differ from everyone else because that is exactly how it is. VAT, service charges and everything is rolled into the advertised price here. Unless a separate service charge is stated the price of the food is the price you must pay.

That's the point I am making - that the service is added on top of the food price in most restaurants above a certain service level/price point.

Advertisement