Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I think it is clear that it is the person who does tips gets so angry about the people that don't.

Since I also said this:
    Lets not be silly. People are being called fools left right and centre.

I was more talking about my personal experience offline. Various friends of mine get very mouthy about it.

I think you cannot say what is clear in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think it is clear that it is the person who does tips gets so angry about the people that don't.

Not at all. I tip and don't mind if anybody does or not. What I don't like is people who tip as ostentation or as a bribe to get better service or an advantage over those who don't. The whole discussion has been hijacked away from the original topic however. Some here are just raising red-herrings for the sake of argument and driving us round in circles. It doesn't matter what the culture is elsewhere but in Ireland it's clear that many do tip - I certainly have not said otherwise - but we don't tip out of habit or for any self satisfying self gratifying reasons. We tip in gratitude for good service and when we can afford it. We are not a society that expects tips to make up for low pay. We expect people to be paid for their work or charge for their services at a proper rate. We are not unique in this. Most of Europe does not automatically tip waiters, taxi drivers, hairdressers etc. After all we are more Berlin than Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

LasTime wrote: »
    But mine probably has a bit more substance than those!!!

Thought I'd help you out ;)

I think we have more heat than light however...

You probably think obnoxious comments like that are clever but being neither common nor widespread does not by definition imply rare or isolated. It may also suggest non-existance. My post was the typical environmentalist's convention of common and widespread. The opposite of which is not necessarily rare and isolated. This I know. This is my field, so don't play word games on wildlife/nature conventions with me.

You have lost me. Wildlife/nature conventions???
    Anyway, I have never asserted that there was no tipping whatsoever here. Indeed, I told you I tip and tip well when appropriate. Most others have said similar. However, the American nonsense of quasi-compulsary tipping is not prevalent nor do we wish it to be.

Who asked it to be - where have I said anywhere in this thread that tipping should be compulsory. Please quote me if I had. What I have said is that it is polite.
    Why oh why did I bother replying? Fool me once...and all that.

I wish people would stop bleating about posting and trying to 'escape' the thread. I'm not forcing you to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

As a puppeteer, MadsL is cooler than Eugene Lambert

:-D

HansHolzel wrote: »
    As a puppeteer, MadsL is cooler than Eugene Lambert

:-D

*slips Hans a tenner*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

I have never been to the Americas so I don't know if they understand how much a tenner is. Woo hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

It's late and I really shouldn't drag myself into this debate.

I was born and raised in Ireland. I moved to the US a few years ago. I worked in the same industry in both countries. It would be considered a 'tipping' industry.

I got much better tips in Ireland than I do in the US. My wages in Ireland were also better. I'm not doing anything different between the two places so there should be no difference between tips. In fact, people think I'd get tipped more in America because it's the cultural norm.

Do I deserve tips for my job? No. Not at all. It's ridiculous. I didn't get into the industry for the money and would probably enter it again even if I didn't get tips. The people I work with here expect a tip for everything. They expect it even if they give crap service. They moan and cry if someone doesn't tip. (I do too on occasion but usually I cop myself on).
    It's disgusting to see grown men and women behave like this over something that's supposed to be optional.

The service level I receive in US restaurants is ok. Usually poor-standard more than great. People expect tips here so they don't give great service contrary to popular belief. They know they're going to get 10% at least and sometimes that's enough for them. In my opinion it reduces the level of service.

I get decent service in Ireland anytime I'm home. No tip expected. I would tip in most places but I refuse to if service is bad.

With regards to Vegas, that great room you got for $20 is nearly always given to people anyways. Unless you're rude to the front desk staff, you'll always get an upgrade of some sort. But try your $20 trick on a night like NYE and see if it's still worth anything.
    People love to come here and flash cash to get something 'better' than the next person. But the reality is, unless you're a top-tier guest, you get pretty much the same service as everyone else.

I'd love to see tipping eradicated but unfortunately that will never happen. I'm glad Ireland has not become like the US in that regard and hope it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

AdamD wrote: »
    Really really really simple question:

I have 10 euro. My taxi costs 10 euro. What LOGICAL reason do I have to either go to an ATM to overpay for a service by choice, or go and get a bus?

If you get stuck at some road works lights for a few minutes do you expect the taxi driver to accept the €10 even if it has ticked up to say €10.50?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Spook_ie wrote: »
    If you get stuck at some road works lights for a few minutes do you expect the taxi driver to accept the €10 even if it has ticked up to say €10.50?

Surely you'd just say you only have 10 and hop out when it gets to 10. How far of a walk can 50cent be?

Surely you'd just say you only have 10 and hop out when it gets to 10. How far of a walk can 50cent be?

If it's raining like it was today a long wet walk even if it's only half a kilometer!

Being realistic you would be talking about walking 1.03 Km if you were stuck for 3 minutes at 36c a minute ( standard rate )

http://www.transportforireland.ie/fares/taxi/

If it's raining like it was today a long wet walk even if it's only half a kilometer!

Being realistic you would be talking about walking 1.03 Km if you were stuck for 3 minutes at 36c a minute ( standard rate )

http://www.transportforireland.ie/fares/taxi/

Wait i thought the scenario was being 50 cent short, not over a euro short, but that's besides the point, if you havent got enough you havent got it, what are you gonna do.
    Although if taxi drivers are happily taking tips from people I'm sure it wouldnt kill them to let the odd person off with 50 cent.

Still, best if we all just stick to paying the stated price. Tip if you like, I just dont want to see here become like the state where it's expected and all but mandatory.

Wait i thought the scenario was being 50 cent short, not over a euro short, but that's besides the point, if you havent got enough you havent got it, what are you gonna do.
    Although if taxi drivers are happily taking tips from people I'm sure it wouldnt kill them to let the odd person off with 50 cent.

Still, best if we all just stick to paying the stated price. Tip if you like, I just dont want to see here become like the state where it's expected and all but mandatory.

Nah not after reading how many stingy tight wad arses on here ranting about not tipping for just doing the job so no tips, therefore no you ****in walk after you run out of money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

No when I get into a taxi with a tenner, and I know it will be around that, I'll say I only have a tenner, you can let me out when that comes up on the meter.

No when I get into a taxi with a tenner, and I know it will be around that, I'll say I only have a tenner, you can let me out when that comes up on the meter.

I wonder if that would work with ladies of easy virtue?

Nah not after reading how many stingy tight wad arses on here ranting about not tipping for just doing the job so no tips, therefore no you ****in walk after you run out of money :)

Thats what i said first time around. why the big song and dance? Anyway, i could do with the exercise

Advertisement