Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You see MadsL, you might request all these things and quiz servers on their knowledge, but I don't. You seem to make servers work more for their tip than I do. So I don't doubt that you would feel guilty if you didn't leave a tip.

For me, the process of a meal goes like this:

• Take a seat, get given menu
    • Decide what I want from menu. When the waiter comes to take my order, I tell then what I want.
    • Starter arrives. I eat it. Waiter comes to take plate and ask if everything was ok. Repeat for main course & dessert. (Oh you'll like this MadsL: sometimes there might even be an amuse bouche, or even a palate cleaner. Fancy! See we don't all only eat in chippers smile.png)
    • Top up wine glass when running low. Something I would rather do myself btw as one of us might be drinking at a faster rate than the other, so one of use ends up getting less wine.
    • Ask for bill. When bill arrives, we settle up.

But that's the standard of service I want! I don't want to be fussed over. I don't even like waiter topping up my wine glass! As long as the server is friendly and efficient, that's all I want.

And yes, you're right, that is the basic lever of service you get in Ireland. Therefore, why should we always be expected to leave a 10% tip?

Fussed over.

There's the nub.

Don't make a fuss...

Expecting good service isn't asking for a 'fuss' it is elevating a basic experience (eating) into an absolute pleasure. That is what servers should be aiming at. If they cannot read your body language properly as to what you want, then they need more training. What motivates them to learn how not to fuss you. MONEY!!

Not rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

MadsL wrote: »
    1. I didn't invent the point. I quoted it earlier.
    2. My point is very simple. Tipping improves service, I've stated it many times.
    3. I thought you flounced out of this thread a few pages back...is it my charm? It is isn't it.
    4. Post limits? G'wan outta that. You have an ignore button.

1. Yes you did.
    2. No its not. Else you wouldnt have 140 posts contradicting everything everyone else has said across 33 pages.
    3. Its like watching a drunk guy stumbling around. Its kinda pathetic and utterly pointless but still oddly interesting.
    4. Come on now 140 posts is off the chart for such a simple point like "Tipping improves service". Thats the work of someone wasting peoples time, not someone with any intention of discussion.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    That's absurd. What if someone is on their own late at night and only has the exact fare, should they walk home?

They have these things called ATMs. If scarce, maybe they should plan better.
    Or what if like me in the summer, someone has to go to a hospital appointment in Dublin, pay for a hotel the night before, the train to Dublin and taxi's from the train to the hotel, to the hospital in the morning and back to the station again? That was a fair ould drain on the wallet. I can tell you now that I wasn't factoring in tips when trying to finance the trip. Didn't tip the hotel staff either. Oh no, I'm a tight arse not made of money :rolleyes:

Taxis in Dublin. No public transport options?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Really really really simple question:

I have 10 euro. My taxi costs 10 euro. What LOGICAL reason do I have to either go to an ATM to overpay for a service by choice, or go and get a bus?

1. Yes you did.

Quote me.
    2. No its not. Else you wouldnt have 140 posts contradicting everything everyone else has said across 33 pages.

Responding to people is wrong now? Edit: You have the second highest by the way.
    3. Its like watching a drunk guy stumbling around. Its kinda pathetic and utterly pointless but still oddly interesting.
    Insulting me now?
    4. Come on now 140 posts is off the chart for such a simple point like "Tipping improves service". Thats the work of someone wasting peoples time, not someone with any intention of discussion.

I'm not wasting anyone's time (but my own), you are free to report my posts, leave the thread, put me on ignore or pick up a mod application form. ;)

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Really really really simple question:

I have 10 euro. My taxi costs 10 euro. What LOGICAL reason do I have to either go to an ATM to overpay for a service by choice, or go and get a bus?

Because rewarding polite, helpful and clean (car) taxi drivers improves everyone's service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Because rewarding polite, helpful and clean (car) taxi drivers improves everyone's service.

Even if he didn't hold the door open?

Even if he didn't hold the door open?

I don't expect it. I appreciate the courtesy when it is done for my wife though...

Arriving at the airport for example I would certainly tip more if the driver opened the door for my wife, took the cases out, extended the handles on the cases and wished us a pleasant trip.

All of which has happened (shockingly for some it seems) in Ireland.

The 10 euro is to keep that taxi service going, I have no interest in the rest. The taxi fare is 10 euro, it would be an achievement for the Taxi driver to mess up badly enough in that time to annoy me. It would be nigh on impossible for him to do something worthy of earning extra on top of the fare.

My part time job is in the stock room of a retail store. My job is to make sure all of the clothes are correctly tagged, priced and sorted so that when you go into the shop you can find your size and what you will have to pay for the clothes easily. I am providing a service, albeit an invisible one to you. The sales assistants on the floor are there to help you find clothes and sell them to you.

Do you tip the sales assistant? If no, what's the difference between them and waiters? And if you do, what about me in the stockroom? Or the Chef in the restaurant who is going to have a far greater impact on your experience than a waiter?

For the record I am in no way expecting a tip as a stockroom worker!

I don't expect it. I appreciate the courtesy when it is done for my wife though...

Arriving at the airport for example I would certainly tip more if the driver opened the door for my wife, took the cases out, extended the handles on the cases and wished us a pleasant trip.

All of which has happened (shockingly for some it seems) in Ireland.

So you tip for the basic service, and then another special bonus tip on top of that for holding doors open or taking cases out of a boot?

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    The 10 euro is to keep that taxi service going, I have no interest in the rest. The taxi fare is 10 euro, it would be an achievement for the Taxi driver to mess up badly enough in that time to annoy me. It would be nigh on impossible for him to do something worthy of earning extra on top of the fare.

My part time job is in the stock room of a retail store. My job is to make sure all of the clothes are correctly tagged, priced and sorted so that when you go into the shop you can find your size and what you will have to pay for the clothes easily. I am providing a service, albeit an invisible one to you. The sales assistants on the floor are there to help you find clothes and sell them to you.

Do you tip the sales assistant? If no, what's the difference between them and waiters? And if you do, what about me in the stockroom? Or the Chef in the restaurant who is going to have a far greater impact on your experience than a waiter?

For the record I am in no way expecting a tip as a stockroom worker!

Let me answer that by saying that if a portion of the retail staff's wages were commission, do you think that service levels would improve?

Retail staff, particularly clothing, are dire in Ireland.

By contrast I have bought suits in Belfast where not only was the tailoring done same day and delivered to my hotel, but the salesman paid for our taxi back to our hotel when we were done shopping. That's service done on commission. Was I back when I need more clothing, you bet.

So you tip for the basic service, and then another special bonus tip on top of that for holding doors open or taking cases out of a boot?

I tip for good service, and more for exceptional service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There should be a post limit for posters. 140 posts and hasnt yet made anything in the way of a relevant point let alone a reasonable argument. All the while doing nothing but going in circles just to contradict people.

Currently arguing against an invented point of there being no tipping in Ireland. Because he's ran out of points on the thread to contradict. :D

But we keep evening our wit to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Ah Christ, not another tipping thread.

Have to say though MadSL, considering your post on the first page it's pretty ironic you've been bumping the thread more than anyone else.

So you tip for the basic service,

Did you not say that was all you wanted. Did you tip when you were pouring the wine yourself earlier? Tip your hairdresser?

Ah Christ, not another tipping thread.

Have to say though MadSL, considering your post on the first page it's pretty ironic you've been bumping the thread more than anyone else.

Ah sure might as well make it a megathread.

Baffles me the way that people moan like crazy about poor service, then refuse to recognise good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Paging Steve Buscemi......

Paging Steve Buscemi.....

That's Steve Buscemi to the tipping thread please.

Thank you.

Quite you, it's Mr Pink.

Let me answer that by saying that if a portion of the retail staff's wages were commission, do you think that service levels would improve?

Retail staff, particularly clothing, are dire in Ireland.

By contrast I have bought suits in Belfast where not only was the tailoring done same day and delivered to my hotel, but the salesman paid for our taxi back to our hotel when we were done shopping. That's service done on commission. Was I back when I need more clothing, you bet.
    Well you have completed avoided all of the questions I asked..

For you question it depends on what you would consider to be good service, my only experience with retail commission comes from a previous job where certain items had larger amounts of commission, which funnily enough led to them being pushed over more suitable items so the staff could earn more commission. Hardly better service. Not seeing the relevance at all between your answer and my question mind, just a confirmation that I'm wasting my time!

Also as an aside, I much prefer the behaviour of retail staff in Ireland to the in your face behaviour which is commonplace/shop policy in the states.

Did you not say that was all you wanted. Did you tip when you were pouring the wine yourself earlier? Tip your hairdresser?

No, I was asking you if you just tip first for the basic service, ie getting into a taxi and the driver getting you to your destination without a single word being spoken?

Where did the driver earn the tip there? For not crashing along the way? For not boring you talking non-stop about the ecomony?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Tipping is optional. You tip, great. You don't, also great.

What I don't understand why people who don't tip get so angry about people who do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

They have these things called ATMs. If scarce, maybe they should plan better.
    Actually they planned it perfectly if they had enough for the taxi fare home.

Taxis in Dublin. No public transport options?
    That really is absurd. Why on earth would you think it better for a sick person to take public transport, rather than get a taxi?

Tipping is optional. You tip, great. You don't, also great.

What I don't understand why people who don't tip get so angry about people who do.

I wouldnt understand it either but I havent seen it at all. All I see is people who tip calling people who dont stingy and ignorant.

That really is absurd. Why on earth would you think it better for a sick person to take public transport, rather than get a taxi?

I thought you were visiting not actually sick.

If the taxi driver helps you to the door from the hospital, does that not deserve a tip. He has saved you the cost of ambulance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I thought you were visiting not actually sick.

If the taxi driver helps you to the door from the hospital, does that not deserve a tip. He has saved you the cost of ambulance.
    Accompanying someone who was sick. No need for the taxi driver to open doors. I was quite capable of doing all that myself.

You missed the point. You said that not having the money to tip a taxi driver is wrong. No it isn't. I have never met a taxi driver who would prefer someone to take the bus than not use their service because they can't tip.

Do you honestly think we were wrong not to tip the taxi drivers? Should I have cut back on say, food so that we could give away extra money? Maybe told the person that no, they can't have a cup of coffee while waiting as I need to keep that money to give to strangers in case they think I am a scab?

If you really are going to insist on this absurd notion that getting into a taxi with the intention of paying the fare, rather than fare + tip is wrong, then there is no point in discussing this further with you. If you live in a world where you can afford it, good for you. You keep tipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I wouldnt understand it either but I havent seen it at all. All I see is people who tip calling people who dont stingy and ignorant.

Lets not be silly. People are being called fools left right and centre.

I was more talking about my personal experience offline. Various friends of mine get very mouthy about it.

Lets not be silly. People are being called fools left right and centre.

I was more talking about my personal experience offline. Various friends of mine get very mouthy about it.

Not because they tip they are not. The only issue here is the pro tip argument (which is the lone ranger there for the most part) being that it should always be done and those who dont do it are wrong not to. Thats the argument for the last 30 pages. There is no anti tip side here, only a pro tip side and a tip or dont side.

I never experienced that, got a few amused looks on occasion but I have never in my life have someone get angry about it. Sounds very odd.

Accompanying someone who was sick. No need for the taxi driver to open doors. I was quite capable of doing all that myself.

You missed the point. You said that not having the money to tip a taxi driver is wrong. No it isn't. I have never met a taxi driver who would prefer someone to take the bus than not use their service because they can't tip.

Do you honestly think we were wrong not to tip the taxi drivers? Should I have cut back on say, food so that we could give away extra money? Maybe told the person that no, they can't have a cup of coffee while waiting as I need to keep that money to give to strangers in case they think I am a scab?

If you really are going to insist on this absurd notion that getting into a taxi with the intention of paying the fare, rather than fare + tip is wrong, then there is no point in discussing this further with you. If you live in a world where you can afford it, good for you. You keep tipping.

Money is obviously very tight for you if you feel that the one or two euro you might tip a taxi driver means you cannot also afford a cup of coffee.

Forgive me if I smell a bit of exaggeration, if not, I'm sorry for your troubles.

I'm attacking the notion of "I'm only going to pay the fare, no matter what" rather than you.

Not because they tip they are not. The only issue here is the pro tip argument (which is the lone ranger there for the most part) being that it should always be done and those who dont do it are wrong not to. Thats the argument for the last 30 pages. There is no anti tip side here, only a pro tip side and a tip or dont side.

Really?
    It actually isnt, people have pointed out to you several times that the reasons tipping is practically compulsory in America dont exist here.
    Ireland has not had a tipping culture for generations and certainly not on the scale we see in America where every halfwit who does his job functionally feels entitled to a percentage of what you already paid. Perhaps some individual businesses do but it is far, far from the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I think it is clear that it is the person who does tips gets so angry about the people that don't.

• Advertisement

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I think it is clear that it is the person who does tips gets so angry about the people that don't.

As has been said, I think it is both sides. But I admit I cannot stand the "they are only doing their job" attitude.

Advertisement