Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run the Line, 30th November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

HelenAnne wrote: »
    If anyone else did the short course, i was in a lilac / purple rain jacket & shorts (there weren't that many of us so we probably saw each other!)
    i did the short course too, i was wearing my boards top.
    this was my first hill race and i have to say i really enjoyed it. i found it
    very tough but the 5 hrs i spent shopping with the OH in Dundrum were just as tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Really enjoyed this! I did the short course, as I've only recently started running and have never done a mountain run before. Motivated to train for the long course next year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

First class event. Bloody tough, but strangely enjoyable. I've felt fresher after finishing marathons :p This had toughness in spades and great value which puts other events in sharp relief.

"An addition of a poll to the thread would be useful to log ratings"

IMO I don't think you need to add or even think of polling/rating this event...
    It was top class 5 stars.
    My first time doing this event the difference between it and others I've paid through the nose to do is immeasurable (I know you're not critiscing it btw)
    This was totally focused on the fund raising element, everyone accounted for and safety being the priority. I even got a bargin of the year and picking up a classy I crossed the line tshirt for €5.
    I think the rawness of following, watching for red & white tape and the sense of being on your own in the wilderness/views added a special DWMRT touch to the event.....
    The only addition would be let Nationwide or one of these type programs get involved to publicise it more....well done and keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PhilHD

911sc wrote: »
    First of all, a big thank you to all who help at organising such a nice event.

This was my first hill race, and knew it would take me a "while" to get around that course. Bearing in mind the marshalls would not leave their station until after the last competitor had passed by, i set off with the 10am group.

Perfect weather, beautiful scenery, great trails, dry sections, mucky sections, rocks. Such a diversity of terrain made this race very challenging and interesting.

I must say hill runners are a different bunch of animals compared to road runners. A mix between rabbits and goats? :)

Some wise men told me before the race that hill running was tough..well, it's only 25kms, right?
    I regularly run 25kms on the road to go the office in the morning approx 2h20min, but 25kms in the hills I feel more like 35/40km on the road. I agree with Statss, i also think effort wise is close to a road marathon.

IMO, the main difficulty of hill running is that you can't really get into a rythm in the same way you do on the road. Footing changes every meters, you constantly have to watch the ground, one minute you have to put the brake on, an other minutes you are struggling going up an incline.

I did suffer, i was challenged but loved every second of it. And there was a loads of seconds today, around 12000.

I have to echo the sentiments of 911sc. My first hill race, did plenty of 10k's up there in prep for Hell and Back, but jumping to the long route was quite a step. Though I'm post first DCM, I too felt hill running over a longer distance was harder than I anticipated, so my time went out the window. Fortunately for me I got to enjoy another 1,000 seconds than you 911sc!!!

Look forward to the next one, thanks all involved, DWMRT, job very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PhilHD

Also, I attended Eoin Keiths (Enduro) talk in Great Outdoors on Wednesday, very inspirational stuff. Didn't hear anything about a raffle until I read this thread. That's an amazing prize, you can stick bib no.3 in the draw if it wasn't done!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Really enjoyed this, was time pressed sadly so only did the short one but am already looking forward to the challenge of the longer one next year! Big thanks to all involved, excellent event, well worth the spin up from Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

The only addition would be let Nationwide or one of these type programs get involved to publicise it more....well done and keep up the good work

Carefull about the event not becoming victim of its own success....AON being a prime example with permit having to be issued and now limited to 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MartyMcCarthy

Well done and and a major Thank You to all of you who participated and fundraised.

We really appreciate the feedback and the statements of support for next year.

There are some great photos on the facebook page and they'll be on www.Actionphotography.ie soon I believe. We're lucky to have an excellent photographer on the team.

Again, a big thank you and see you again.:)

(Extrasuper, I hope the injury wasn't down to footwear choice in the end;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

(Extrasuper, I hope the injury wasn't down to footwear choice in the end;))
    Just saw the results, I got a big dirty DNF to accompany my swollen ankle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

Great race, great organisation. Loved the course (much better than last year) and loved the racing.

To those doing their first hill-run and loving it.... make sure to do more. The IMRA winter league starts in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Hi enduro
    Does the imra do races for beginners or would I be better doing some road races 1st, then trying the hill running.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

If you ran the line then you can definitely run in the IMRA winter league races. The first race in Howth next year makes for a particularly good starting race. There is a wide range of abilities taking part in IMRA races, so chances are you'll be racing somewhere in the field with people of similar ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

We will host a Winter League race in Annacurra again. The start of March, I think. Its c. 11k with a mixture of forest trail and single track. If you completed on Saturday the Winter League will be easy :D

I'm available for run-outs in Annacurra most weekends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seanohig

Ran the 25k on Saturday for my first race ever, it was great to be involved and I'm glad that everyone seems to have found it a challenging course. At this stage I'm elatedand delighted not to have humiliated myself. I'll have to check out more events.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MartyMcCarthy

A message from Gareth.

Hi all, I would just like to say a huge thank you for all of your support whether you ran the event or helped us out on the day. You have helped us raise really vital funds for the team and have helped cement Run the Line as a major running event in the hill running calendar. Hope to see you all next year for an even bigger and more fun event,

My sincere thanks,

Gareth Little – RTL race director

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

We will host a Winter League race in Annacurra again. The start of March, I think. Its c. 11k with a mixture of forest trail and single track. If you completed on Saturday the Winter League will be easy :D

I'm available for run-outs in Annacurra most weekends :)

'twas my first hill run last year and I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

A great event, I was coming from Galway so the location was pretty easy to get to, well worth the journey and it's one for the calendar again next year. Well done all!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭NameThatTune

Enduro wrote: »
    If you ran the line then you can definitely run in the IMRA winter league races. The first race in Howth next year makes for a particularly good starting race. There is a wide range of abilities taking part in IMRA races, so chances are you'll be racing somewhere in the field with people of similar ability.

Hello Enduro
    I would be interested in this race series. Is your website IMRA.ie its down at the moment, how does one register?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

You can register on the day or on line whenever the IMRA website comes back.
    The dates for the winter league will be posted on the website soon and the upcoming races tab on the right hand hand will presumably show Howth. Click there and you will see the details.
    There is a 2013 IMRA thread here on boards and I further presume a 2014 one will be forthcoming.
    There is also a facebuke page.

The winter league routes will all be much shorter than run the line.

• Advertisement

Peterx wrote: »
    You can register on the day or on line whenever the IMRA website comes back.
    The dates for the winter league will be posted on the website soon and the upcoming races tab on the right hand hand will presumably show Howth. Click there and you will see the details.
    There is a 2013 IMRA thread here on boards and I further presume a 2014 one will be forthcoming.
    There is also a facebuke page.

The winter league routes will all be much shorter than run the line.

Does one have to be an IMRA member to run these? What's the cost of membership or per race? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Does one have to be an IMRA member to run these? What's the cost of membership or per race? Thanks.

Membership is €10 for the year and each race is €7.
    There was an option to buy a 10 race entry card for €50 in 2013. Not sure if that will run again in 2014 but I'd be surprised if not.

belcarra wrote: »
    Membership is €10 for the year and each race is €7.
    There was an option to buy a 10 race entry card for €50 in 2013. Not sure if that will run again in 2014 but I'd be surprised if not.

Sounds brilliant, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Surprised PeterX didn't give out about the Winter League - he frequently voices disapproval of it, in a light hearted way, (then goes and wins it) :p
    Always more than welcome down in this parish P. I'll dish up some banana bread or other goodies for afters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Peterx wrote: »

Dear PeterX (or anyone else with enthusiasm),

Permission granted, please fire ahead. ;)

yours downhillingly,

Soreknees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I came on to start one and just had to thank nerraw instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

Anyone have a garmin link for the short and long courses? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Long Course - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/410402682

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

short I think, never done this on a tablet before http://www.strava.com/activities/98058498/segments/2091604739

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

Many thanks to the previous two posters!

Advertisement