Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run the Line, 30th November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MartyMcCarthy

PaulieC wrote: »
    actually the route is quite visible on the rather excellent Nokia Here Maps

That satellite imagery is very impressive. Hadn't been aware of here.com. Some lovely images of the mountains around Ireland. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Thanks for that Marty. I might get hold of a pair of trail runners, if not I will just take it easy!

Some of you may be aware that Eoin Keith (Boards' own Enduro) was crowned Ultra Runner of the Year at last week's Athletics Ireland Awards. Eoin will be giving a talk alongside a Run the Line information/pre-registration session in the Great Outdoors at 19:00 on Wednesday, 27th November.

So far there are over 230 people registered for the run on the Saturday, 30th November 2013.

www.runtheline.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Paddyman38

im doing the run the line race on saturday and am trying to decide which distance to do, during the summer. i have being doing the challenge hikes like mourne sevens or lug walk, but recently i have been doing a lot of running to keep fit , i think with the climbing in the run the line race it will suit me. i was training in ravensdale on saturday and ran 14km on mountain trails up to clermont aerial and back twice in 1hr 35mins, my problem is im worried if i go for the 25 km race i may be humilated as i saw the times from last year are very good. maybe i should just play it safe with 11km, but then i love a challenge, i havent ran over 20km yet so dont know but then i have hiked over 50km for the lug with no problem but thats not running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Paddyman38 wrote: »
    im doing the run the line race on saturday and am trying to decide which distance to do, during the summer. i have being doing the challenge hikes like mourne sevens or lug walk, but recently i have been doing a lot of running to keep fit , i think with the climbing in the run the line race it will suit me. i was training in ravensdale on saturday and ran 14km on mountain trails up to clermont aerial and back twice in 1hr 35mins, my problem is im worried if i go for the 25 km race i may be humilated as i saw the times from last year are very good. maybe i should just play it safe with 11km, but then i love a challenge, i havent ran over 20km yet so dont know but then i have hiked over 50km for the lug with no problem but thats not running.

Like myself I wouldn't be threatening to win it but defo doing the long course....not to frighten you but my only concern is the distance as in I've done the course from both sides (not exactly as I haven't ran it before) but close enough and my gps is telling me its more than 25km.....
    One of the lads asked on FB and they say its 25km?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

, my problem is im worried if i go for the 25 km race i may be humilated

I plan on doing it, so you won't:rolleyes:
    My "flat-ish" 25kms time is 2h20min, so i don't plan on coming in less than 3h. But I'll be proud of having taken part though.

Go for it and be proud of your achievement.

Paddyman if you're doing the long hikes and the running you say you are you definitely have it in the legs. Remember much of this is on established or purpose built trails.

And this is really a 'run' more so than a 'race'. Therefore the perfect event to give the extra distance a shot.

You should sign up for the 25km option and if you don't feel like it you can change on the day if you let us know early enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Paddyman38

Thanks for all your advice, you's have got me thinking i should do the 25k and i feel up for the challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Has anyone been around the loop in the last few days ? If so, what's it like underfoot ? From recollection, it's mostly rocky or gravel trails and I'd love to get away with road runners if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Has anyone been around the loop in the last few days ? If so, what's it like underfoot ? From recollection, it's mostly rocky or gravel trails and I'd love to get away with road runners if possible

Ran most of the route yesterday in road runners. It's all dry on the main trails. All dry from bone shaker/fairycastle all the way to Cruagh. I ran the upper loop of tibradden last week and it was a bit water logged. Avoided it yesterday because of how wet it was. The small forest section might be a bit muddy. Coming up the back of fairy castle was ok last week. A bit of mud but not much. Not sure what the first couple of Kms are like but the boneshaker was dry.

I'd probably go with road shoes if I was doing long course. About 20km of it yesterday was mud free and solid trail. Else go with my inov 8 trail roc which have a small bit of grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭plodder

Any garmin links showing the long route profile (or parts of it even)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

plodder wrote: »
    Any garmin links showing the long route profile (or parts of it even)?

Are you doing it? I'm doing the short one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭plodder

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Are you doing it? I'm doing the short one!
    Thinking about it. Have never done a race like this, and I don't have trail runners. So, I'm curious about how steep the downhill sections would be.

This is most of the route: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/408977145

And this is some of it, including the Tibradden loop and the climb up the back of Fairy Castle. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/406241871

Thinking about it. Have never done a race like this, and I don't have trail runners. So, I'm curious about how steep the downhill sections would be.

Eoin did last year's long one, you could ask him?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Hatcho

Looking forward to this even though I'm pants at hill running :-) But its great just getting out and about in the open air while the rest of the world heads for Liffey Valley to spend the day arguing with the kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Eoin did last year's long one, you could ask him?

It was a different route last year.

The steepest stretches are probably the start and the finish few km. And the most steep parts all around are going to be short. And the ground is probably going to be as dry as it can get at this time of year. But it's worth considering that runners have quite soft contact surfaces and the sole and upper won't give you the support you need on uneven ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

From Cruagh over to Tibradden
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/407786799
    From Lamb Doyle's to Tibradden
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/402013133
    Both in road runners but slipped the first day out but too late now to buy new. Weather looks grand for the next few days.

It was a different route last year.

Oh I know, thanks! I just meant they might be able to chat about the area in general / what it was like as a mountain run etc. Eoin & I hadn't done any mountain running before so i thought he could give a beginner's perspective on a Run the Line event. Plodder will be fine to do it though, advice or no advice!

• Advertisement

The steepest stretches are probably the start and the finish few km. And the most steep parts all around are going to be short. And the ground is probably going to be as dry as it can get at this time of year. But it's worth considering that runners have quite soft contact surfaces and the sole and upper won't give you the support you need on uneven ground.

The first part of the trail is pretty steep, but I reckon you'd be fine in runners of the rain holds off this week (which it is forecast to do). I'm hopefully going to get up there tomorrow to see what it's like, maybe get some pics that I'll post here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

The first part of the trail is pretty steep, but I reckon you'd be fine in runners of the rain holds off this week (which it is forecast to do). I'm hopefully going to get up there tomorrow to see what it's like, maybe get some pics that I'll post here

yeah that would be great to help decide between trail and road runners

This reminds me of the discussions I'm more familiar with i.e. tyre choice for mtb. Funny.

Don't forget the Eoin Keith talk in the Great Outdoors at 7 tonight. GO are offering a discount before and after the talk and there is a prize draw for a head to toe kit-out for one man and one woman in attendance. Great prize to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

This reminds me of the discussions I'm more familiar with i.e. tyre choice for mtb. Funny.

Don't forget the Eoin Keith talk in the Great Outdoors at 7 tonight. GO are offering a discount before and after the talk and there is a prize draw for a head to toe kit-out for one man and one woman in attendance. Great prize to get.

I'm taking it that this will be sorted on the day?

No, that was just for people who attended the talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So who said it will remain dry until the race ?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

ThisRegard wrote: »

the weather man:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

trail shoes it is so....

If it's like today I'd go with trail shoes, otherwise you'll be on your ass a lot.

Early Part of trail before heading into the forest

11100248845_938eaf1cc7_c.jpg

Heading into the forest, not too bad underfoot

11100339554_b5110afc1e_b.jpg

In the forest on one of the smaller trails. Most of the non-fireroad paths are similar to this (or rockier)

11100248495_a2de7973f7_b.jpg

Strictly artistic :D

11100248385_d702a158e6_c.jpg

The Climb up the side of Two Rock. Don't let the benign photo fool ya, this is steep and slippery.

11100247975_c09df4f0a6_c.jpg

Up up up as far as the eye can see.

11100429383_a37e197256_c.jpg

Boneshaker, looking towards Fairy Castle

11100247915_abb02575d7_b.jpg

Hopefully the skies will be a bit clearer on Saturday so at least there'll be a bit of viewnery. Otherwise, based on today
    • wear trail runners
    • Bring the raincoat. When RunTheLine becomes WalkTheLine, which it will for most of use at some stages, the wind will cool you down very quickly, especially on open mountainside.
    • Even though it was calm and sunny in Leopardstown, it was windy, misty and drizzly on Two Rock. My eyes kept watering, from the wind and from the constant drizzle. I'll be wearing a hat or buff to stop that on Saturday.
    Can't wait til Saturday, good luck to everyone taking part.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »

I said that, but it was just repeating what Evelyn said and the Weather app said. Sorry!! Sure the farmers needed the drop of rain anyway, thank god.

Advertisement