Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Fig Rolls a relatively healthy biscuit?

Options
  • 10-10-2013 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Someone said to me the last day 'fig rolls are actually not that bad for you, for a biscuit like'. I was like 'right yah, ok', not thinking much off it.

But yesterday my dad came home with a big pack which were on special offer in tesco for €2.00 (he has a major sweet tooth) and so the conversation started 'I was just talking to someone about fig rolls today'....

So I had a look at the packet and I was pleasantly surprised, per biscuit the saturated fat content is very low and the fibre content is quite high.

Here's the info and see what ye think, could a fig roll be a healthier option when choosing a biscuit with that cup of tea (I did have one last night and by God was it good dipped in tea :D):

Per Biscuit:

Calories: 63
    Saturated Fat: 0.6g
    Carbohydrate: 11.3g
    Sugar: 6.3g
    Protein: 0.7g
    Fibre: 0.9g

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

If they are, i'm going to live forever:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I hate these answers (that don't say anything) but I'm going to give one anyway.

The key word in your OP is 'relatively'. I wouldn't consider fig rolls healthy because I don't think 0.7g protein is a good pay-off for 6.3g sugar. But then again I probably wouldn't be able to stop at one, it would set me off on a sugar rush/crash, I'd scoff 5 and even worse possibly develop a bad daily habit. But that's just me - I know this so I am better off avoiding biscuits altogether.

However, if you are keeping an eye on your calorie intake and like the odd biscuit then yeah, a fig roll here & there isn't going to do you any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So I had a look at the packet and I was pleasantly surprised, per biscuit the saturated fat content is very low and the fibre content is quite high.
    (Sat) Fat content is a pretty useless measure of how healthy a biscuit is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Mellor wrote: »
    (Sat) Fat content is a pretty useless measure of how healthy a biscuit is.

What would you suggest to be a 'useful' measure of how healthy a biscuit is then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Protein-carbs and fat-carbs ratios. The less carbs the healthier, and less "biscuity".

• Advertisement

beazee wrote: »
    Protein-carbs and fat-carbs ratios. The less carbs the healthier, and less "biscuity".

Ok, so based on those ratios, how does the fig roll fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

But the big question is how do they get the figs into the fig roll

650gs wrote: »
    But the big question is how do they get the figs into the fig roll

I was waiting for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Ok, so based on those ratios, how does the fig roll fair?

Badly. A few won't kill you assuming you are working them into your daily requirements and not scoffing 10 of them at a time.

Here's them compared to rich tea.

15348.PNG

Badly. A few won't kill you assuming you are working them into your daily requirements and not scoffing 10 of them at a time.

Here's them compared to rich tea.

15348.PNG

Oh...nice graph. That's pretty clear isn't it. No, I wouldn't eat 10 of anything at the one time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I like to have 3 with a cup of coffe/tea

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oh...nice graph. That's pretty clear isn't it.
    The graph appears to be comparing 1 biscuit to another.

A jacbos fig roll is 16.7grams
    A mcvities rich tea is 8.4grams

So its not really fair. I certainly would not find a single rich tea as filling as a fig roll.

You really want to compare values per 100g. Even then you have the slight issue of the rich teas probably being drier, so the fig roll values may be low due to be bulked out with more moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I have always thought of the them as one of the healthiest biscuit options.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

rubadub wrote: »
    The graph appears to be comparing 1 biscuit to another.

A jacbos fig roll is 16.7grams
    A mcvities rich tea is 8.4grams

So its not really fair. I certainly would not find a single rich tea as filling as a fig roll.

You really want to compare values per 100g. Even then you have the slight issue of the rich teas probably being drier, so the fig roll values may be low due to be bulked out with more moisture.

I could only find per biscuit info! I think people usually decide to have X biscuits with their tea anyway, so its not completely useless info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

no but chocolate is

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It depends how many fig rolls you're eating. Few things are bad for you if you're eating them in small amounts but if you're eating half a dozen at a time,then there won't be a biscuit that'll be all that healthy. Even rich tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The Rock 2013

Transform wrote: »
    no but choclate is

Gobsh1te

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The Rock 2013 infracted for being uncivil

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

beazee wrote: »

This isn't true and is a poor rule of thumb.

I can think of plenty of 'healthy' foodstuffs that have more carbs to protein/fat ratio.

Most fruits, nuts, vegetables and berries have high carbs relative to the other two macros and are classed as 'healthy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

why you should eat dark chocolate - I probably should have qualified that in my suggestion on chocolate.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-you-should-eat-and-drink-high-cacao-dark-chocolate/

Ive been called worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

How does the humble Jaffa Cake - a staple of my diet - compare in the 'not so bad as far as biscuits go' stakes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Rich tea biscuits are like eating cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

professore wrote: »

Take that back! Take that back RIGHT NOW!

Take that back! Take that back RIGHT NOW!

:D

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    How does the humble Jaffa Cake - a staple of my diet - compare in the 'not so bad as far as biscuits go' stakes??

Pleasantly surprising:

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/wellbeing/galleries/34135/biscuits-the-best-and-worst-revealed/15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

professore wrote: »

Which is why you dip them into your tea, then they become delicious ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

nah, you slather them in butter. then nom nom.

Transform wrote: »
    why you should eat dark chocolate - I probably should have qualified that in my suggestion on chocolate.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-you-should-eat-and-drink-high-cacao-dark-chocolate/

Ive been called worse

Really good article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

nah, you slather them in butter. then nom nom.

Or nutella.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Or nutella.

i guess that's the great thing about butter and nutella. they improve everything.

.. just had an idea for nutella steak, will report back later.

Advertisement