Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location based arguments

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Maybe a ban on American news stories in After hours is in order. If a thread is started about a county story it's moved to the appropriate regions forum. There is an American forum right here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=917

• Registered Users Posts: 81,995 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That sub forum has never, ever been anything more than a place for people to ask about tourist destinations and visas. And to ban America topics from AH seems somewhat ludicrous and unnecessary.

I like An Files suggestion: the AH mods just need to enforce rules already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

IMO posting the likes of 'MURICA and "Why can't I hold all of my freedoms" aren't trolling or flaming for the most part - merely highlighting the irony of for example toddlers shooting people because a country is obsessed with a right to bear arms. The posting of 'Murica in threads often due to the fact that this extreme patriotism often results in consequences that the rest of the world can only laugh as being brought upon themselves makes sense - it's humorous. Something understandably Americans or American residents may miss the point on.

It is humourous the first time. This thread has four examples in one thread.

By this stage it is played out and trollish, and pointless.

Any discussion happening between the AH mods on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Overheal wrote: »
    That sub forum has never, ever been anything more than a place for people to ask about tourist destinations and visas. And to ban America topics from AH seems somewhat ludicrous and unnecessary.

I like An Files suggestion: the AH mods just need to enforce rules already in place.

Maybe its time to expand its use. Like all political threads going to political cafe.

ken wrote: »
    Maybe its time to expand its use. Like all political threads going to political cafe.

Eventually all AH will consist of will be threads asking "why AH has gone to shiite"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Conversely, sputtering 'MURICA to every US topic doesn't make sense, seeing as the country is very, very diverse, containing a hundred or more ethnic and cultural background and a few hundred religions, differing socio-economic circumstances, and so on.

It's not every US topic though, just the gun ones that I've noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You'd be very wrong on that one.

To quote the forum charter
    This discussion forum is about visiting, living and working in the United States (including emigrating from Ireland to the USA). There are separate forums for American Football, or the serious discussion of US Politics.

Less serious comments about politics can be made here, as well as with any discussions that pertain to the United States culture, economics, business, banking, establishing credit, employment and job hunting, real estate, education, entertainment, sports, humour, etc.

Irish citizens, as well as Irish expats are welcome to participate in discussions, as are United States citizens that would enjoy the flavour of an Irish hosted forum about living in the United States.

The scope is there. If you choose not to use the forum to its fullest that's your problem.
    MadsL wrote: »
    It is humourous the first time. This thread has four examples in one thread.

By this stage it is played out and trollish, and pointless.

It's still humorous to everywhere outside of America because what the 'Murica meme stands for - extremist patriotism, continues to exist and result in consequences directly caused by such. America is a running joke in this aspect, which you fail to grasp. Some might suggest that has something to do with your location.... :pac:

There are four examples in that thread. Three of which are by one poster (and rather trollish, I would agree). If you've a problem, report it.

f you've a problem, report it.

I did.

We are discussing the problem in this thread, not what actions I personally have taken.

It's not every US topic though, just the gun ones that I've noticed.

The current American girl in Cork thread has a 'murica post thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

What's the problem? Ignore it. Don't respond to it. You're doing nothing but making me want to leave a big Murica post in here along with a picture of some bear arms.

Make a nice cup of tea and relax dude. Treat those who post the word with the contempt deserved and ignore them.

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    What's the problem? Ignore it. Don't respond to it. You're doing nothing but making me want to leave a big Murica post in here along with a picture of some bear arms.

Make a nice cup of tea and relax dude. Treat those who post the word with the contempt deserved and ignore them.

So why can't I post "Yore Ma" or "blast them with piss"?

Have a nice cup of tea and ignore them...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Grand cuppa tae . AFAIK and from recollection those phrases were banned at the request of the posters of AH. MURICA wasn't raised as a matter of concern.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Grand cuppa tae . AFAIK and from recollection those phrases were banned at the request of the posters of AH. MURICA wasn't raised as a matter of concern.

Eh? I'm not a poster in AH who is raising it as a matter of concern, nor are Overheal or Clairefontaine? Are we not in the special club?

Is it because we live in the US? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

This really isn't happening is it?
    Perhaps it could be added to the swear filter?

HAHA I got banned from AH because of you....YOU.....LOL like the likes of you? lol you reported me LOL :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

How's that raging hard on you have for America going these days? I spoke the truth. You're entitled to be offended. But I really don't care that you were offended. I'll buy ya a ball of cotton wool next time I'm in the shops precious.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mint Aero wrote: »
    HAHA I got banned from AH because of you....YOU.....LOL like the likes of you? lol you reported me LOL :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

How's that raging hard on you have for America going these days? I spoke the truth. You're entitled to be offended. But I really don't care that you were offended. I'll buy ya a ball of cotton wool next time I'm in the shops precious.

And now you're banned from Feedback as well for being a dick him.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,995 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ken wrote: »

The Political Cafe itself has been criticized for being flaccid and watering down the politics sub category.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057293963
    The scope is there. If you choose not to use the forum to its fullest that's your problem.

As we've seen in the Games category, just because you build something it doesn't mean they will come. We're getting off the topic here, this isn't about the growth of discussion on boards or anything of the sort. That is merely a poor deflection.

The only matter in question is letting anti-american bigotry stand. 'America' threads have existed just fine and without major incident in AH for at least as long as I've been around, and probably longer. Political US threads went into a new subforum during the ruckus over the 2008 election (blame Obama and Hillary, literally, for letting that discussion wind up swamping AH and Politics main).

You might as well suggest "if women posters don't like the misogynistic comments in AH they should post in the ladies lounge." Which, clearly, is absurd.

If the AH mods want to move all US subject matter to another forum, that is their call. But to date that hasn't happened, and the probability is it will certainly not happen. So, we're back to the original argument.The only problem threads in AH have ever had, has been bigotry. And year after year I've generally seen less, so there is progress. But every year, it seems like we have this discussion, over and over again.
    If xenophobic posts are made. They will be actioned.

Can this please be added to the AH charter.
    The use of the word 'murica will not be banned. If the use of that word intends only to flame. It will be actioned.

Why is this phrase regarded any more specially than 'yore ma?'

If I start using the phrase 'Rland! will that be an issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

The Political Cafe itself has been criticized for being flaccid and watering down the politics sub category.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057293963

As we've seen in the Games category, just because you build something it doesn't mean they will come. We're getting off the topic here, this isn't about the growth of discussion on boards or anything of the sort. That is merely a poor deflection.

The only matter in question is letting anti-american bigotry stand. 'America' threads have existed just fine and without major incident in AH for at least as long as I've been around, and probably longer. Political US threads went into a new subforum during the ruckus over the 2008 election (blame Obama and Hillary, literally, for letting that discussion wind up swamping AH and Politics main).

You might as well suggest "if women posters don't like the misogynistic comments in AH they should post in the ladies lounge." Which, clearly, is absurd.

If the AH mods want to move all US subject matter to another forum, that is their call. But to date that hasn't happened, and the probability is it will certainly not happen. So, we're back to the original argument.The only problem threads in AH have ever had, has been bigotry. And year after year I've generally seen less, so there is progress. But every year, it seems like we have this discussion, over and over again.

Can this please be added to the AH charter.

Why is this phrase regarded any more specially than 'yore ma?'

If I start using the phrase 'Rland! will that be an issue?

I'd go a step further and say the OP's original point has nothing to do with Murica bashing whatsoever. I think the nub of it was other folk rubbishing an argument based on being outside the country. Bringing in the Murica aspect just muddys the waters.

It's simple... the most common way to find out where a person is from is usually taking posts/info from other threads and bringing them into a particular thread to distort an argument or debate. The misdemeanor usually lies here, it's profiling, which I think is counted as general dickery and only serves one purpose... to drag a thread off topic. Same as someone dragging up something I said 6 years ago and uses it out of context.

IT's a little bit different if a posters location IS given though in top left post ID. But if folk wish to kill off debate by highlighting this then that is also just general dickery/straw-man-ery. So could be shot down as being 0ff-topic. Of course there are always a few exceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Some of the anti America stuff at the moment is pretty crazed tbh. Stuff of lunatic rantings.

Armelodie wrote: »
    I'd go a step further and say the OP's original point has nothing to do with Murica bashing whatsoever. I think the nub of it was other folk rubbishing an argument based on being outside the country. Bringing in the Murica aspect just muddys the waters.

That's fair enough. I really wish the AH mods would make some further comment here, since we have had proposed actions (and some actual actions) by the mods. I'm really yet to see consistent AH policy on it however.

Would the feedback mods like to separate these issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm really yet to see consistent AH policy on it however.

Maybe because sometimes it's best to take each case on it's own merits rather than create a singular policy and forced to either be held to it or accused of not acting on their own policy when such arguments arise.

Sometimes, 'location based arguments' are valid arguments to be made. And consistency isn't always achievable given the variance of the posts, poster history and judgement of the individual mod.

• Advertisement
Advertisement