Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location based arguments

Options
  • 08-10-2013 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sick of having to deal with the lazy argument "But you don't even live in Ireland" as a counter for an opinion I have expressed.

Is there merit in preventing this type of behaviour - a significant proportion of boards users are outside of Ireland now...

I know publishing your location is optional, but drawing attention to it is irritating as hell.

Anyone else getting a pain in the hole explaining their location isn't a hole in their argument?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

If the strength of someone argument is "You don't live here" then I'd feel safe in ignoring any other point they had to make in the future. Treat a riposte like that as an idiot filter and move on. Trying to fight an argument at that level only drags you down.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Oh, I get that it is an idiot marker, but it only attracts further idiocy.

Idiot 1 - hey you don't even live here.
    Idiot 2 - that's right, what about the thing in the country you live in.
    Idiot 3 - Hey, you don't even pay tax here
    Idiot 4 - Why don't you sod off and leave us Irish alone...

etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

MadsL wrote: »
    Oh, I get that it is an idiot marker, but it only attacks further idiocy.

Idiot 1 - hey you don't even live here.
    Idiot 2 - that's right, what about the thing in the country you live in.
    Idiot 3 - Hey, you don't even pay tax here
    Idiot 4 - Why don't you sod off and leave us Irish alone...

etc etc.
    That would be my idiot list increased by 4 names. It's amazing how easy life becomes when you don't bother with a large number of posters.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    That would be my idiot list increased by 4 names. It's amazing how easy life becomes when you don't bother with a large number of posters.

:)

However, my point is that the more someone's location is used against them in forums, the more legitimate calling them on their location becomes. With the increasing geographical spread of boards users I think that is a Bad Thing.

"Is there an argument for buds being nipped by the mods?" is my question to the community.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You can't have a rule for everything, and I personally have no wish for things to move towards large lists of "you can't".

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    You can't have a rule for everything, and I personally have no wish for things to move towards large lists of "you can't".

I believe it falls under the "attack the post not the poster" rule. I'm really asking for it to be enforced more often when spotted or reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

I believe it falls under the "attack the post not the poster" rule. I'm really asking for it to be enforced more often when spotted or reported.

As said above you cant stamp out every little thing and if you're going to enforce "attack the post...." to a degree to stop everyone being personal or dismissive you're gonna need bigger mods. Particularly in the likes of AH where there is tonnes of stuff that's dismissive and personal. Mentioning geographical location would be at the lower end of it imo as I don't see it very much at all.

I'm sure in some of those instances it may well be something actionable, but I'd imagine in most cases it is not worthy of any sort of punishment.

I have obviously not seen all of them, but I can't imagine it going down well if it is punished in most cases. You make it well known that you are not living in Ireland, and hold a lot of opinions contrary to AH norms from what I can see, so I'd say it affects you personally more than more other posters from outside Ireland.

As said above you cant stamp out every little thing and if you're going to enforce "attack the post...." to a degree to stop everyone being personal or dismissive you're gonna need bigger mods. Particularly in the likes of AH where there is tonnes of stuff that's dismissive and personal. Mentioning geographical location would be at the lower end of it imo as I don't see it very much at all.

This made me chuckle. :D

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

How is it attacking a poster to say "you don't live in (X)"?

It's either a good or bad counterpoint to a post. It's not abusive, and it may only potentially be stupid depending on the context.

I can appreciate it could be frustrating if you (or any other poster) get a large number of "but you don't live here" responses in threads, but I don't see anything in it that specifically warrants infractions/bans.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

koth wrote: »
    How is it attacking a poster to say "you don't live in (X)"?

It's either a good or bad counterpoint to a post. It's not abusive, and it may only potentially be stupid depending on the context.

I can appreciate it could be frustrating if you (or any other poster) get a large number of "but you don't live here" responses in threads, but I don't see anything in it that specifically warrants infractions/bans.

Ah koth, you don't live in Dublin, why would we listen to what a culchie has to say on the matter?

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Ah koth, you don't live in Dublin, why would we listen to what a culchie has to say on the matter?

*puts MadsL on ignore*

:P

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    *puts MadsL on ignore*

:P

*Continues to quote Koth in a disparaging manner.*

fecking culchies.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

*Continues to quote Koth in a disparaging manner.*

fecking culchies.

You would say that, Yank. :P

You would say that, Yank. :P

And hence the ironing, as I am not, yet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Are people outside Ireland allowed start feedback threads?.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

You must have soft skin if me saying "you don't live here" is to be considered an attack on you.

Just appeal for everybody who makes a typo or uses rolleyes or doesn't use commas to be site banned too while you're at it.

MugMugs wrote: »
    You must have soft skin if me saying "you don't live here" is to be considered an attack on you.

Just appeal for everybody who makes a typo or uses rolleyes or doesn't use commas to be site banned too while you're at it.

It's not the question of soft skin, it just gets boring to see it at every turn. "Ah, you don't live here so you can't have an opinion" is attacking the poster, and against the boards charter.

Let's say I reported Insect's comment above. Is it actionable would you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It's not the question of soft skin, it just gets boring to see it at every turn. "Ah, you don't live here so you can't have an opinion" is attacking the poster, and against the boards charter.

Let's say I reported Insect's comment above. Is it actionable would you say?

No its tongue in cheek.

If boards begin prohibiting this then where does it end? It's a terrible retort to any argument and should be treated as such. I can't see why it would need anything more than that and especially not a site wide rule.

MugMugs wrote: »
    No its tongue in cheek.

If boards begin prohibiting this then where does it end? It's a terrible retort to any argument and should be treated as such. I can't see why it would need anything more than that and especially not a site wide rule.

Is it as terrible as "Yore MA" as a retort?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Context is crucial. In some arguments it's "Your Ma!" In others it's extremely relevant. Making points about what Galway nightlife is like most of the time recently if you don't live in or haven't been staying in Galway is fairly pointless. Someone not having a point about how we elect our politicians or whatever because they live in the US or Germany or whereever is equally nonsensical.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Unless it is preceded or followed by something else, such a remark on it's own is not actionable.

It's merely an opinion, and occasionally one shared by others. Only if it becomes repetitive and therefore disruptive to a thread should it merit intervention (along the lines of "move on, please.")

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I'm ambivalent about it,if I were to suggest how tax monies should be spent even though I don't pay tax to the Irish exchequer(even though I do inderectly,ye broke-ass bums) perhaps my opinion doesn't carry as much weight.The Bono effect.

Let them say it surely,but that only opens them up to the charge that their participation in a democracy then depends on a sliding scale of how much tax they pay,does someone who pays 30k have the right to silence a person who pays 3k per annum?

crockholm wrote: »
    I'm ambivalent about it,if I were to suggest how tax monies should be spent even though I don't pay tax to the Irish exchequer(even though I do inderectly,ye broke-ass bums) perhaps my opinion doesn't carry as much weight.The Bono effect.

Let them say it surely,but that only opens them up to the charge that their participation in a democracy then depends on a sliding scale of how much tax they pay,does someone who pays 30k have the right to silence a person who pays 3k per annum?

It also begs the question of why Ireland does not allow expats to vote (or pay tax as the US asks of its expats)

However from a boards point of view if each poster is to be treated equally under the charter, their physical location should not be something used against them to gain leverage in a debate. I think it falls under "attack the post not the poster" and should be infracted.

Just as well you are not in charge then!

5starpool wrote: »
    Just as well you are not in charge then!

You would say that, Mr Elsewhere! Your head must be Elsewhere! :pac:

On a serious note, do you think it not an attack on the poster to bring up, with the intention of undermining their argument, where they live if it is irrelevant to the debates. Is that not 'attacking the poster' as I have done above?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

On a serious note, do you think it not an attack on the poster to bring up, with the intention of undermining their argument, where they live if it is irrelevant to the debates. Is that not 'attacking the poster' as I have done above?

It's a cheap move and an intellectually underwhelming tactic in a debate, but I don't think you can punish it in the same way you would a personal insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"You would say that, Mr Elsewhere!" - Not a personal attack
    "Your head must be Elsewhere!" - Personal attack (though extremely tame)

Referencing that a poster lives elsewhere is not, and hopefully never will be personal abuse.

If they're saying it to undermine your argument, point out how they're undermining their own argument, or quite simply ignore them. Besides which, sometimes pointing out the location of a poster can actually be a valid argument. For example, if Irish posters here were talking about reports of mass rioting in Utah, and another poster from Utah said there wasn't, pointing out that they're in Ireland and therefore would not know what's happening in Utah as well as he would, that's a valid point. I'm not saying it's a valid argument whenever it's used, but it can be a valid argument.

Why it would ever be considered a serious enough offence to add to the charter is beyond me.

So you want to be the first to be infracted under this new order? ;)

As I said above it may well be annoying, but I don't think someone saying "you don't even live in Ireland, how would you know" should be a blanket against the rules offence. If it is the same person who does it to you a number of times then I'm sure it would be due to harassment, or if they said it an abusive way "wtf would you know, you don't even live here you twat", then obviously that is a different matter.

I am only a fairly casual reader of AH, so by no means an expert, but I haven't noticed it being a general problem worthy of stamping out. If it is happening to you on a large number of threads, then I would bring it to the attention of mods of that particular forum, but as there are a large number of non Irish posters, if it were a larger problem I would imagine it would have come up before.

I would advise to essentially ignore anyone who makes the point on an irrelevant thread, but in some cases it is probably somewhat relevant at least, for example on the recent thread about beer where you said Ireland had nowhere you could really get craft beers, you living outside of here for the last number of years really was a relevant point as things have changed somewhat, both in a growing number of bars, and most off licences.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    "You would say that, Mr Elsewhere!" - Not a personal attack
    "Your head must be Elsewhere!" - Personal attack (though extremely tame)

Referencing that a poster lives elsewhere is not, and hopefully never will be personal abuse.

If they're saying it to undermine your argument, point out how they're undermining their own argument, or quite simply ignore them. Besides which, sometimes pointing out the location of a poster can actually be a valid argument. For example, if Irish posters here were talking about reports of mass rioting in Utah, and another poster from Utah said there wasn't, pointing out that they're in Ireland and therefore would not know what's happening in Utah as well as he would, that's a valid point. I'm not saying it's a valid argument whenever it's used, but it can be a valid argument.

Why it would ever be considered a serious enough offence to add to the charter is beyond me.

The drip drip effect. Happens with baiting all the time, innocuous not to get infracted, but end up forming a pattern.

I also saw a post today (not aimed at me), that referenced nationality as a means to open an attack on the poster's political views, and how those views would lose the poster friends in Ireland. Complete nonsense, but offensively framed, but within the rules. Consider the cumulative effect on a poster subjected to attacks on nationality/location repeatedly whilst posting on boards.

We have nine grounds of discrimination protected in Irish law, could I suggest that they might be considered as a prohibited basis for attacking a poster. I'm not sure why race is afforded protection against attack on boards, but not nationality?

Advertisement