Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chromecast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I grabbed Plex for Android last night and set it up on my Windows PC.

I got as far as being able to link my Phone to the Computer in order to see and browse the files.

Haven't tried to play on the phone or broadcast to Chromecast just yet but I will when I get home.

Have you a plex pass subscription??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Newest Reviews (Since Yesterday)
    Charly Castillo
    Fool me once
    I got this app because I knew they were gonna support Chromecast, so I was so happy to hear yesterday that they finally came with this new feature. Imagine my face when I saw they make you pay a subscription to be able to cast your files...
    Nathan Jones
    Plex's Prices are Perplexing Sweet for $5 I can view content from any of my devices, or online and have Chromecast support? Oh wait! No you cant. You have to buy the $3/month service for that to work. Oh and the app is free if you had purchased that first... Would've been nice to know from the beginning.
    Ian Odiari
    Great app except Charging monthly fee for chromecasting is ridiculous, they don't host the files or create the service, and on top of that I paid for the application that is now withholding free functionality. Otherwise the interface is nice as is other aspects of the application. I will now start looking for suitable alternatives unless they open up the functionality that should not require monthly fees since it does not required their intervention (casting and possibly offline viewing of local media).

And more...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I've used the Avia app and cast movies stored on my Nexus 5 to my TV with chromecast with no lag, shutter or any playback issues. Now the Avia app is free but you have to pay €2:31 to enable chromecast streaming but it's well worth it. I haven't tried plex and I though Realplayer was only available in the US but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Gryzor wrote: »
    Have you a plex pass subscription??

I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I thought you could stream if you play your movies in Chrome browser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

Thargor wrote: »
    Via VLC or any other media player not a hope, via Realplayer according to todays app update Im still looking for confirmation.

Plex may also be an option now even though its a horrible app, we'll have to wait and see what the reviews are like for todays release...

Can anyone recommend a cheap media streamer in this case? I just want to be able to stream my movies via VLC or some other app direct to the TV. I don't care about netflix/online apps etc..

Elessar wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a cheap media streamer in this case? I just want to be able to stream my movies via VLC or some other app direct to the TV. I don't care about netflix/online apps etc..

There are plenty. You could go for an Android Box/Stick.
    Or THIS

Many here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=sv_rec-ht_7?ie=UTF8&node=199624031

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dudda wrote: »
    I've used the Avia app and cast movies stored on my Nexus 5 to my TV with chromecast with no lag, shutter or any playback issues. Now the Avia app is free but you have to pay €2:31 to enable chromecast streaming but it's well worth it. I haven't tried plex and I though Realplayer was only available in the US but I could be wrong.
    RasTa wrote: »
    I thought you could stream if you play your movies in Chrome browser
    If its not officially licenced its not going to be using the same resources that Youtube and Netflix use to play smoothly and you wont be getting a usable viewing experience even if the video file is SD, 720p/1080p files from your harddrive are not watchable on Chromecast no matter what workaround you think you've found.

If its not officially licenced its not going to be using the same resources that Youtube and Netflix use to play smoothly and you wont be getting a usable viewing experience even if the video file is SD, 720p/1080p files from your harddrive are not watchable on Chromecast no matter what workaround you think you've found.

Avia is officially licenced to use the chromecast SDK. Check the apps page on the Google website or the official Google blog post announcing the new apps if you don't believe me. It's not a workaround as it's official like YouTube and Netflix and works perfectly.

Ah right never heard of them before, good to know thanks.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Dudda wrote: »

€2.31 seems good value, I assume it's it once off payment?

GrumPy wrote: »
    €2.31 seems good value, I assume it's it once off payment?

Ya once off payment. In the not to distant future you'll probably be able to get apps that do similar things for free but at the moment it's great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Elessar wrote: »
    I just bought a Miracast dongle on eBay.co.uk for £16.75 delivered but the post from China has been brutal lately so I probably won't see it for 6 weeks.

It's not the same as Chromecast think of it more as a wireless HDMI cable.

Check your phone under settings>display that you have an option for wireless mirroring and you should be able to connect to a Miracast dongle.

It remains to be seen whether it is any good or will be assigned to the junk drawer but it might do the job for you.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am over in the US and bought a few of these.

Already have an Apple TV and Smart TV but for €25, you can't go wrong!

Great last minute Christmas gifts for techies too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Basq wrote: »
    Am over in the US and bought a few of these.

Already have an Apple TV and Smart TV but for €25, you can't go wrong!

Great last minute Christmas gifts for techies too!
    Can you bring back one for everybody in the audience?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do-more wrote: »
    Can you bring back one for everybody in the audience?

I always had my suspicions that Basq was Gay Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Where did you get them, I was in NY last week and couldn't find them (tbh I didn't look to hard) or did you buy direct from the Googleplex

Vending machines in JFK, I assume other airports aswell as it was that chain of machines that sell gadgets and only take credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

i picked up a few in best buy last week.. was in north carolina
    the-ging wrote: »
    Where did you get them, I was in NY last week and couldn't find them (tbh I didn't look to hard) or did you buy direct from the Googleplex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Damt it was in Best Buy, I should have asked somebody about them.

Booo

Think it's a tad cheaper on amazon.co.uk at the moment again.
    £38.00 with free delivery. Not too bad, about €45.00. (US is considerably cheaper though!)

Also, anymore better suggestions to stream local content the cheapest?

Avia & RealPlayer were mentioned - both require a small once off payment afaik.
    I have a bunch of avi/mkv files that I'd like to stream from laptop...

Can anyone confirm Realplayer will stream any 720p avis and mkvs from their hdd with no BS DRM etc?

Can anyone confirm Realplayer will stream any 720p avis and mkvs from their hdd with no BS DRM etc?

Folks over at /r/chromecast have alot of helpful info, give them a try. You'll probably find something useful on your visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Can I cast from a phone's Android Gallery, as in, flick through photos, from the phone, or do they need to be viewed from Drive or similar?

Folks over at /r/chromecast have alot of helpful info, give them a try. You'll probably find something useful on your visit!
    Wont play anything over 2GB in size and random errors in other files, download a 10 ep series from the same soource, half the files will refuse to play :rolleyes:

What a useless piece of sh1t this is turning out to be in fairness, why don't they just give people what they're all screaming for, they cant be oblivious to it...

What a useless piece of sh1t this is turning out to be in fairness, why don't they just give people what they're all screaming for, they cant be oblivious to it...

It really is nice for basic users. For anyone tech savy, that want to *really* use it, it's crippled alright. Is the SDK officially out yet? I know they were planning to open it up to ALL developers soon.
    Netflix and YouTube for my sister, even they are considered "techy" to her :pac:

Yeah I suppose that was a bit harsh, the minute someone releases a plugin to cast whatever you like from VLC or Media Player Classic it will be the bargain of the year but it should have been released by now or a release date given at least.

Yeah I suppose that was a bit harsh, the minute someone releases a plugin to cast whatever you like from VLC or Media Player Classic it will be the bargain of the year but it should have been released by now or a release date given at least.

Absolutely, you don't release the SDK and have hackaton's with potential developers for a device that has *already* been on the market for serveral months... That stuff should happen as soon as the marketing campaign starts, many weeks before launch. It would create excitement and help a whole bunch with sales. Developer interest is the most important thing with these devices.

If devs aren't given the tools to develop, they won't, simple!

• Advertisement

Absolutely, you don't release the SDK and have hackaton's with potential developers for a device that has *already* been on the market for serveral months... That stuff should happen as soon as the marketing campaign starts, many weeks before launch. It would create excitement and help a whole bunch with sales. Developer interest is the most important thing with these devices.

If devs aren't given the tools to develop, they won't, simple!

Google are crippling this, and that's okay, they own it. But they are blocking plenty of apps that already work, to give themselves more control. Saying that they are open to devs, isn't the full truth. They only will allow certain apps. They are doing the same on Android. By the time it is a good item, plenty of better alternatives will be readily available. There are quite a few already.
    Samsung are doing all they can to get away from Googles grip and move away from Android, as are many other phone makers.
    I don't see this as one of the better options, even at that price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement