Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

BArra wrote: »
    I exchanged an Irish licence to a Canadian licence this year, the Irish licence was due to expire in 2018, but the Canadian licence i got expires in 2022

If i go back to Ireland and exchange it back to an Irish, would it be the 2022 expiry or would it be a 10 year one?

You'll get a reissue of your Irish licence.

Out of curiosity, which province was it? If it wasn't Ontario, Manitoba or Labrador Newfoundland, you'll basically be declaring your last Irish licence lost and applying for a replacement. Some Canadian provinces accept EU licences but the arrangement is not reciprocal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

Ontario, but my Irish licence expires in Feb 2018, if i go back after that date what happens?

BArra wrote: »
    Ontario, but my Irish licence expires in Feb 2018, if i go back after that date what happens?

You'll exchange back and it'll be a ten year licence. You'll provide an exchangeable Canadian licence but they will reissue your Irish entitlements almost like renewing it really. No categories will be added or subtracted as the licence went outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Question for yee....

Have a person who let there provisional lapse 6years this was their 2nd.

Do they need to do theory test again?

Licence expired 2011 if I recall correctly.

Question for yee....

Have a person who let there provisional lapse 6years this was their 2nd.

Do they need to do theory test again?

Licence expired 2011 if I recall correctly.

If it was definitely 2011 and if the driver doesn't have any other full entitlements (eg if they don't have a full motorbike licence) then it's a full start over including the theory test. Expired for 5 years is the magic number for learner permits (for full entitlements, they are no longer renewable after the last licence has been expired for 10 years).

• Advertisement

Over 5 years its out but believe they would have had their 1st before that.

I understand the 5 and 10 year rule but just thought may be possible to reuse theory if on file like with changing a category.

Oh well they will have to do that and then of course the 12 minimum lessons which I knew they would have after allowing it expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭goochy

was only when I was looking for licence as ID , I noticed is was expired. How much is a new one ? people have told me something about you apply online then go and collect it and they take your photo?
    get a bit stressed out checking things online.

Thanks

How long is it expired?

Over ten years and you are goosed. If under, its 55e to renew. Go into an NDLS centre, grab a ticket and fill in the form

Think you can print the form at home and have most of it filled in

no only couple of months - so no need to do anything online before calling in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As poster BArra said, you can download and print the renewal form at home, fill it in and bring it with you to speed things up. They take your photo at the centre and will not accept a photo that you supply so don't bother with that.

Go to the 'Renew a driving licence' link here.....

https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply.html

• Advertisement

You can book an appointment time if suits or else go in at opening time to wait.

hate doing these things online and its quite complicated for licence. just renewing standard car licence

checklist
    old licence
    passport for id
    utility bill as moved recently
    wage slip for pps no.

that's it isn't it ?

can I arrange day/ time that suits me or do I have to take what they give me ?
    roughly how long of a wait for apt. is there and does it take long in there ?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

goochy wrote: »
    hate doing these things online and its quite complicated for licence. just renewing standard car licence

checklist
    old licence
    passport for id
    utility bill as moved recently
    wage slip for pps no.

that's it isn't it ?

can I arrange day/ time that suits me or do I have to take what they give me ?
    roughly how long of a wait for apt. is there and does it take long in there ?

thanks in advance

you can check online and it will tell you straight away when an appointment is available https://www.ndls.ie/booking-service.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭ Grant Squeaking Mill

This post has been deleted.

went to book for cork city but couldn't - said NO SLOTS AVAILABLE - what does that mean exactly ?

Call in without an appointment any day you can afford to do it and be prepared to wait for a bit. They're open tomorrow morning.

cant go at weekend - roughly how long would you be waiting for ? does it basically mean you cant book an appointment so just show up ?

goochy wrote: »
    went to book for cork city but couldn't - said NO SLOTS AVAILABLE - what does that mean exactly ?

it seems to be a longstanding problem in cork city

https://twitter.com/rsaireland/status/461503455778312193

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Cianos

As luck would have it both my passport and my drivers license expired around the same time. Can you use a recently expired license as your photo ID for a new license? Or passport for that matter!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No, they don't accept photos anymore. They will take a new picture at the license centre when they process your application.

• Advertisement

Sorry I mean that in applying they require proof of ID (i.e Photographic ID, which I'd usually use my passport for). I'm wondering do they accept a recently expired drivers license for this (or recently expired passport).

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

From NDLS website:
    Irish passport which cannot be expired by more than 12 months.

So you should be fine with the passport.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

How long is your passport out of date, if its less than 12 months its ok.

https://www.ndls.ie/documents-that-will-not-be-accepted.html

Great, didn't see that, thank you. Any idea what the wait is like in Leopardstown for walkins?

Unless something has changed recently, you have always been able to use an expired licence or permit as your photo ID regardless of its age. Also, if the address is still valid on the licence, it's your proof of address too. In other words, it's still a valid document from the perspective of renewing a licence even if it's expired.

Got in for a few minutes past 9. The wait was only 20 minutes, but their computer system took a dive while I was in the booth. Sat for about 30 minutes in the booth until it got sorted. By the time I got out the place was packed!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Czhornet

Just realized that my old pink paper licence is due to expire at the start of next month.
    What is the procedure for getting the new credit card type licence, I presume I still have to call to a GP for and eye sight test etc. I am working in a different county from where i got the licence originally, can I call to my local RSA office for the new licence?

The website is poor and the guidance notes are not much better at explaining what to do/have with me on the day.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭davo2001

Book an appointment with the NDLS.

are you renewing a car licence or a truck licence? if it is just a truck licence the process is straightforward. The FAQ page on the website is quite clear.

https://www.ndls.ie/faq.html

what do you need to bring with you on the day

https://www.ndls.ie/faq.html#what-do-i-have-to-bring-with-me

Do you need a medical report

https://www.ndls.ie/faq.html#how-do-i-know-if-i-am-medically-fit-to-drive

• Advertisement

Can anyone offer opinion on this situation

I will be going into NDLS office with an Ontario licence that I exchanged to from an Irish licence, I am basically swapping back to my original Irish licence.

They have let me know that it may take 2-3 months for the Ontario licence to be verified for them to re-issue the Irish licence to me. (I beleive they post it to their Canadian counterparts to confirm my driving in Ontario was without any bans or what-not)

My question is, will I not be able to get car insurance within those 2-3 months it takes them to verify the licences to reissue me with Irish licence? :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement