Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Knine wrote: »
    Do I need a new eye test?

You only need an eye test if you used to wear glasses and no longer need them. For example if you got laser surgery since you last renewed.

If you never wore glasses and still don't (ie if you do NOT have the 01 notation on the back of your licence), then you don't need an eyesight report.

If you never wore glasses for driving historically but recently started wearing glasses, you DON'T need to provide an eyesight report- you can declare yourself as needing glasses.

If you always wore glasses and still do, you will self declare again that you need glasses, you'll get the 01 notation and still no eyesight report will be required.
    Knine wrote: »
    TIA

YW

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you have the receipt from NDLS it should be fine, I doubt any guard would make fuss over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭EnmxLP

I winged it and went in on a monday afternoon and was waiting no more than 10 minutes, spent that time filling out my form. In and out in about 20 minutes. I had a appointment booked and then i just cancelled it afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

This is my first time renewing my licence. It's hard to believe i have it 10 years. I was reading online which seems to be a bit unclear. It says i may need a medical report. I don't remember having to do a medical when i first applied. Is this a new thing. Do i have to get an eyesight report as well, even though i have the code in my licence that i should be wearing glasses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The Raptor wrote: »
    This is my first time renewing my licence. It's hard to believe i have it 10 years. I was reading online which seems to be a bit unclear. It says i may need a medical report. I don't remember having to do a medical when i first applied. Is this a new thing. Do i have to get an eyesight report as well, even though i have the code in my licence that i should be wearing glasses?

the rules for needing a medical report are straightforward.
    https://www.ndls.ie/medical-reports.html#your-application-must-be-accompanied-by-a-medical-report-if-you

If you have previously said that you require glasses for driving and you still require them then there is no need for an eyesight report. you just tick Yes in box 22 on the application form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

the rules for needing a medical report are straightforward.
    https://www.ndls.ie/medical-reports.html#your-application-must-be-accompanied-by-a-medical-report-if-you

If you have previously said that you require glasses for driving and you still require them then there is no need for an eyesight report. you just tick Yes in box 22 on the application form.

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

My licence is coming up for renewal and I'll be doing the NDLS process for the first time. I won't have access to a printer in advance. Does anyone who's done it recently remember if they have blank forms (D401) at the office that you can fill out while you wait?

Another question is that I'll be moving house relatively soon after I change my licence, but obviously won't have proof of address at the time of application. I presume they'll put my current address on it - would I have to pay again to get the address changed later?

Thoie wrote: »
    My licence is coming up for renewal and I'll be doing the NDLS process for the first time. I won't have access to a printer in advance. Does anyone who's done it recently remember if they have blank forms (D401) at the office that you can fill out while you wait?

They do have them there.
    Another question is that I'll be moving house relatively soon after I change my licence, but obviously won't have proof of address at the time of application. I presume they'll put my current address on it - would I have to pay again to get the address changed later?

€35 to replace a licence.

They do have them there.

Thanks - had posted a new thread, not having found this one, but then when it was moved here I saw that they have the forms :)

And for €35 I'll just walk around with the wrong address for 10 years, like the rest of the country :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

It's free to change a personal detail

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Change of address is free.

Lucyfur wrote: »
    GM228 wrote: »

That makes more sense. I'd be willing to pay €5-€10 for the admin/cost of the plastic to change my address, but not €35! :)

Lucyfur wrote: »
    GM228 wrote: »

oops. in fairness the ndls website doesnt say that directly. you have to dig into the guidance notes for the application form.

oops. in fairness the ndls website doesnt say that directly. you have to dig into the guidance notes for the application form.

I'm finding their website a bit of a disaster. Loads of links to PDFs with things like "From October 19th", but it doesn't say what year... Did a search on change of address and didn't find the "free" information either. Only found a PDF of the form you need to fill in, but no details of where to find it other places (I saw from earlier posts that it's in Garda Stations, at the NDLS place, etc).

My second last licence (the one before the current one) had a whole bunch of categories like M, E+B, E+C1 etc, but for some reason they were left off my current licence. I complained at the time and they said they could be added back on next time with no hassle. Now that the licencing system has changed I tried to see if I could find out about that on the site, and can't find anything about it. Went looking for a phone number to ring and ask, and couldn't find a phone number either, though did find references to their call centre.

(Just went looking again, and came across a phone number of 1890 40 60 40 but it seemed to be in relation to medical things).

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

That makes more sense. I'd be willing to pay €5-€10 for the admin/cost of the plastic to change my address, but not €35! :)

The licence is only free to replace (for change of address) if there is more than 3 months validity remaining. If it's due for renewal it will cost you €55 for full licence and €35 for a permit. If you are looking to add categories, you can also forget the free licence. A Group 2 (covering trucks and buses) medical report will have to be presented to NDLS if you want to add on any of C or CE categories that you had before. This has always been a requirement. The NDLS telephone no. is 0761 087 880. Email is: info@ndls.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

(Just went looking again, and came across a phone number of 1890 40 60 40 but it seemed to be in relation to medical things).

That phone number is for the RSA, call 0761 087 880 for the NDLS helpline. Any category you hold on your licence can be reinstated easily, the only exception being C or D categories-you will need a medical report to reinstate them.

Vologda69 wrote: »
    The licence is only free to replace (for change of address) if there is more than 3 months validity remaining. If it's due for renewal it will cost you €55 for full licence and €35 for a permit. If you are looking to add categories, you can also forget the free licence. A Group 2 (covering trucks and buses) medical report will have to be presented to NDLS if you want to add on any of C or CE categories that you had before. This has always been a requirement. The NDLS telephone no. is 0761 087 880. Email is: info@ndls.ie

In my situation my licence is due for renewal soon, so yes, €55, 10 year licence, add categories, etc, not a bother. I've no problem paying for that, as I've had 10 years to prepare for the day ;)

About 2 months after I renew it for 10 years I'll be changing address, so at that stage there'd be 9 years 10 months remaining on my new licence, and it would gall me to hand over another €35+ at that stage "just" for a change of address. Particularly when the address change is of more benefit to them than to me. But it seems that won't be an issue as that's a free change, which makes sense.

Out of curiousity, I plan on ticking the "organ donor" option. This is slightly off topic from NDLS, but in the old days of Irish Kidney Association donor cards, there used be something that you had to get your next of kin to sign the card too. Other than politeness, is there any need to let next of kin know you're signing up to be an organ donor on your new licence?

The old paper licence had a space to note your blood group as well - is that still on the new ones?

Going back later with a new proof of address is definitely the way to go.
    Out of curiousity, I plan on ticking the "organ donor" option. This is slightly off topic from NDLS, but in the old days of Irish Kidney Association donor cards, there used be something that you had to get your next of kin to sign the card too. Other than politeness, is there any need to let next of kin know you're signing up to be an organ donor on your new licence?

The old paper licence had a space to note your blood group as well - is that still on the new ones?

Fair play.

The organ donor option on the app form is a simple yes or no which would result in the addition of the '115' notation being added to the back of your licence. There is no way of specifying any requirements beyond that.

It might be worth considering carrying a more complete organ donor card separately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

In my situation my licence is due for renewal soon, so yes, €55, 10 year licence, add categories, etc, not a bother. I've no problem paying for that, as I've had 10 years to prepare for the day ;)

About 2 months after I renew it for 10 years I'll be changing address, so at that stage there'd be 9 years 10 months remaining on my new licence, and it would gall me to hand over another €35+ at that stage "just" for a change of address. Particularly when the address change is of more benefit to them than to me. But it seems that won't be an issue as that's a free change, which makes sense.

On the bolded, it's worth having a conversation with your next of kin, as regardless of the cards you carry and their indications, they can block donation of your organs, so it's advisable to have them on board with the idea :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Renewing a full B license shortly, and would seem all I need is:

D401 form filled in
    Existing license
    Proof of Address
    Evidence of PPSN
    Birth Cert just in case

No medical report form required as I'm nowhere near 70, & just a B license renewal
    No eyesight report needed as I've never needed glasses.

Am I missing anything there?

Inviere wrote: »
    D401 form filled in
    Existing license
    Proof of Address
    Evidence of PPSN
    Birth Cert just in case

If your existing licence is in good condition it doubles as your photo. If your current licence is in poor condition, you will need a separate form of photo ID such as a passport or the Public Services card with your photo on (which would then also be your proof of PPSN). If it's in bad condition (torn; photo falling out etc) you will need a Garda stamp too.

You only need proof of address if your address has changed from what's on your current licence.

Any proof of PPSN will do. If you are changing your address, a letter from Revenue or SW can double as your proof of address.

You would only need a BC or other form of ID if you were trying to change some personal detail such as add a middle name (you need proof) or correct your DOB etc. If you're okay with the above, you won't need a BC :)

The only way you'd need an eyesight report when you're under 70 is if you ended up with the '01' notation on your licence through error or a mis-declaration in the past. If that's not the case, tick no to the lenses question and drive on.

Same with the medical questions- if you're answering no to them all and you're under 70, no medical needed. Answering yes to a fitness question means you need a medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

For anyone else in a similar situation in future, separately from me proactively making the appointment, I was sent a reminder letter, and it includes the form in there, so no need for printer panic.

The reminder letter is a nice new(?) addition - I certainly didn't get one last time around - worth keeping your address updated for that alone :)

cantdecide wrote: »
    If it's in bad condition (torn; photo falling out etc) you will need a Garda stamp too.

Garda stamp is only required in the case of a lost or stolen licence, as per instructions on the application form. Alternative ID is needed (valid passport/PPSN card w/photo)

shinikins wrote: »
    Garda stamp is only required in the case of a lost or stolen licence, as per instructions on the application form. Alternative ID is needed (valid passport/PPSN card w/photo)

True. The stamp was required at one point and the rules changed. I would still advise anyone with a tattered licence to get the stamp just in case.

True. The stamp was required at one point and the rules changed. I would still advise anyone with a tattered licence to get the stamp just in case.

Just in case of what though? Their damaged licence being lost or stolen on the way to the centre?

Just in case of what though? Their damaged licence being lost or stolen on the way to the centre?

Just in case the NDLS agent isn't up to speed on the rules which change and revert continuously.

Just in case the NDLS agent isn't up to speed on the rules which change and revert continuously.

In which case I assume they would be informed ahead of time by the RSA of any rule changes. Having a Garda stamp on an application form is entirely unnecessary and only adds to the frustration of the applicant when they realise they were given incorrect information.

• Advertisement

In which case I assume they would be informed ahead of time by the RSA of any rule changes. Having a Garda stamp on an application form is entirely unnecessary and only adds to the frustration of the applicant when they realise they were given incorrect information.

You seem to know much about what NDLS agents do or don't know about recent rule changes and what might frustrate individual drivers (many of whom may just prefer a smooth transaction over getting into debates with NDLS agents) but have it your way; I only wish to be helpful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement