Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

I currently have an old paper licence that was issued 31/12/12.
    I've changed address since then and haven't thought of it till now.
    I'm wondering is there a charge in changing address or do I need to pay the 50 odd quid?
    I no its meant to be free but not sure on the charge cause I have a paper one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I think it's €35 to exchange a licence before it expires but I think it's free of charge if you change address,
    They will proberbly upgrade you to a plastic licenc for free if you tell them you just moved house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Assuming you mean your licence won't expire until some time in the future, yes, a replacement for change of personal detail is free of charge. Assuming everything else is the same, all you need to do is bring your paper licence (assuming also it's in decent condition), an app form, proof of address and proof of PPSN and you'll get a card licence with your new address with no charge. You will have to attend the NDLS. You won't need to bring photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I just renewed my license at the weekend. Mentioned to them that I'll be changing address shortly. I assumed as they have my photo and signature that I'd just be able to swap the new license for a newer one once I move. It seems that while the update will be free of charge, I'll need to go back in and get photo taken again, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post so mods feel free to move it if needs be!

I am looking to replace a lost drivers licence with the NDLS and the earliest appointment available is the 20th of this month.

My question is pretty simple, will the issue me with a replacement licence there and then or will it be sent out in the post? If its sent out in the post does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to receive it?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

brembo26 wrote: »
    Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post so mods feel free to move it if needs be!

I am looking to replace a lost drivers licence with the NDLS and the earliest appointment available is the 20th of this month.

My question is pretty simple, will the issue me with a replacement licence there and then or will it be sent out in the post? If its sent out in the post does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to receive it?

Thanks in advance!

You won't get it then and there. The NDLS will take your picture and go through your application with you and after it's processed, it will be sent for printing. All going well, I think you should have it in a week or week and a half, assuming there isn't an issue in processing needing further documentation. Make sure also that if it goes out beyond a week and a half to two weeks with no contact, that the licence may be issued and lost in the post. If it gets to that point, I'd be giving them a call.

Also don't forget that if it's urgent, you can go to the NDLS without an appointment provided you can spare the time - ideally get there early and be prepared to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

cantdecide wrote: »
    You won't get it then and there. The NDLS will take your picture and go through your application with you and after it's processed, it will be sent for printing. All going well, I think you should have it in a week or week and a half, assuming there isn't an issue in processing needing further documentation. Make sure also that if it goes out beyond a week and a half to two weeks with no contact, that the licence may be issued and lost in the post. If it gets to that point, I'd be giving them a call.

Also don't forget that if it's urgent, you can go to the NDLS without an appointment provided you can spare the time - ideally get there early and be prepared to wait.

Thanks for that!!

Ill have to stick with the appointment due to work. Cant wait around for hours to be told they're to busy :p ill manage till the 20th sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Hi all,

Just renewed and paid for my new driving licence which expires next week. Assumed I would be given a new one there and then but have to wait 6-10 days for it to be posted out.

The centre staff understandably were circumspect about saying the printed reciept/statement is OK until the new licence comes. The statement itself says its not to be used in lieu of the licence.

How strictly is this enforced on this in the off chance that I need to produce my licence?

Thanks all.

Hi all,

Just renewed and paid for my new driving licence which expires next week. Assumed I would be given a new one there and then but have to wait 6-10 days for it to be posted out.

The centre staff understandably were circumspect about saying the printed reciept/statement is OK until the new licence comes. The statement itself says its not to be used in lieu of the licence.

How strictly is this enforced on this in the off chance that I need to produce my licence?

Thanks all.

There is a requirement that you have a valid driving licence in your possession at all times but it seems that the Guards appear to use a degree of common sense. Ask yourself how many drivers all over the country are in exactly the same boat. I think if it were problematic, you'd be hearing more evidence of it, tbh.

At least in your case, you'll have your old licence with you for most of the time you'll be waiting for the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi all,

Thanks all.

It usually isn't an issue and if there is most will give you 10 days to produce.

They can easily check if you have one or not anyway.

Don't be drag racing or doing donuts and you should be OK.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Octavian Pepper

My OH is getting a learner permit in a new category (he already holds full B license) he has a medical card expired since October and payslips (he receives them electronically and prints them off) will that be sufficient as proof of PPSN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Nope. They won't accept expired documents.

Has he a P60 or other letter from the revenue?

In the case of proof of PPSN an expired document is perfectly acceptable.

Yes indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Quick question.
    My mother just realised her old licence expires in 3 weeks.
    She is off abroad in Tuesday for a few months and needs a car when she's away.
    She wear glasses so from my understanding to renew the licence she needs a medical certificate?
    As her current licence is still valid do they allow the person to keep it and then return it when the new arrives or they straight up keep it and hand the little letter saying you've applied?

bear1 wrote: »
    She wear glasses so from my understanding to renew the licence she needs a medical certificate?

As long as she is declaring that she needs glasses still, then there's no need for a medical or an eyesight report.

The only way she needs to provide a medical report is if she's over 70, has higher categories for buses or trucks that she want to continue or if answers 'yes' to any driver fitness questions on the application form (the eyesight question is not a fitness question).
    Quick question.
    My mother just realised her old licence expires in 3 weeks.
    She is off abroad in Tuesday for a few months and needs a car when she's away.

As her current licence is still valid do they allow the person to keep it and then return it when the new arrives or they straight up keep it and hand the little letter saying you've applied?

I'd say she's in trouble.

As her current licence is still in date she will be given her current licence back but as it expires while she's away, it's possible she will have difficulty hiring a car. If they are not diligent enough to check the licence end dates then she will still end up driving about with no valid licence.

I think the best bet might be to go to the NDLS in the morning first thing - you don't need an appointment as long as you can wait. Bring all the necessary docs. Double, triple and quadruple check everything is in order and try to hire a car in the first instance for as long as her current licence is in date. Once the new licence arrives in the post, package it back up and send it by registered post or courier.

Luckily it's her own car while she is abroad and not a hired one.
    So essentially she just goes in with the old licence, shows the pps number proof, says she still needs glasses, has photo taken, signs receipt, pays 55e and they hand the old one back?

• Advertisement

Luckily it's her own car while she is abroad and not a hired one.
    So essentially she just goes in with the old licence, shows the pps number proof, says she still needs glasses, has photo taken, signs receipt, pays 55e and they hand the old one back?

Pretty much. Just go through the docs with a fine tooth comb. For example, make sure her proof of PPS is in the same name as her licence and not a middle name or maiden name. If she's changed address, make sure the addresses are matching. If her date of birth was incorrect on her previous licence, they won't correct it without proof. Ditto any spelling errors on her last licence.

Assuming her old licence is in reasonable condition (as it's her ID and proof of address also) and nothing has fundamentally changed, and she's really careful about filling out the form completely and correctly, then yes, it should be an in and out situation.

Sound lads thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Need to update my drives licence.

Can I not go down to the Motor tax office in Smithfield anymore?

these locations are a PITA

and do you have to make an appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

Correct, you cant go to the tax office anymore.

I know when they first opened it was chaotic and it was advised to make an appointment. you may aswell make one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Appointment or turn up and take a ticket. If you pick a non-busy site you'll be in and out quickly. My local (Wicklow) you'd just walk up to the counter

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can you pick any office? If you show up without an appointment and take a ticket, how does it work in terms of you vs. people who have booked an appointment i.e. could you be sitting there for hours with a ticket and never get called because the appointment slots for that day are all taken?

You can go anywhere really. But yeah, they're going to see to people who have an allocated time over someone who comes in hoping for the best. My first time was a saturday, I got there at 8 in the morning, come 1PM was told to go home as I wouldnt be seen becuase they had appointments all day.

cheers guys
    what is story I you make an appointment but can't go?

Seve OB wrote: »
    cheers guys
    what is story I you make an appointment but can't go?
    You can cancel online, and make another.

• Advertisement

any way of ringing these guys
    urns out I can make myself free for the afternoon but nearest booking I can get online is next Friday. wondering if it might be worth my while dropping to a centre or would it be a wasted trip?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement