Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Cannot recommend Someone Knows Something highly enough. On episode 5 now and the first two episodes are heartbreaking. David Ridgen voice has me hanging on every word, he tales a wonderful story.

Also, doesnt feel like hes trying to solve them but generate talk about the case and talks to the principal characters who have come up in the case.

I would say hes a professional investigative Journalist. unlike a dude who just talks about cases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I just cancelled my Slate membership as I wasn't sure if I was getting great value from it and it's pricey after the first year. I never got around to listening to Slow Burn which I regret now as it would have been ad free and I'd have access to the bonus episodes. Has anyone who listened to both seasons any idea what the bonus content is like?

Also, Slate culture gabfest talked about the 'Uncover: Escaping NXIVM' which I've started listening to as a result. Anyone else listen to it?

I use Podcast Addict app and there's a few bonus episodes there. They're interesting add ons to the watergate saga but are just interviews to those that would have been around at the time. I liked what I heard anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Slideways wrote: »
    Try They Walk Amongst Us, its a similar vein to Casefile but entirely UK based

Another recommendation here for They Walk Amongst Us. No nonsense, just the facts of the cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Larsso30 wrote: »
    Cannot recommend Someone Knows Something highly enough. On episode 5 now and the first two episodes are heartbreaking. David Ridgen voice has me hanging on every word, he tales a wonderful story.

Also, doesnt feel like hes trying to solve them but generate talk about the case and talks to the principal characters who have come up in the case.

I would say hes a professional investigative Journalist. unlike a dude who just talks about cases

Sorry meant to say i am on SEASON 5 , not episode 5.

Season 5 is the best yet imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Kermode has a pod? Surely the 5 live one he has with Simon Mayo is enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

Kermode has a pod? Surely the 5 live one he has with Simon Mayo is enough?

Well that's just his radio show isn't it?

This is podcast only with interviews from his live show and that.

It's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/the-teachers-pet

This will be my next binge-listen!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Thanks for that! Been looking for something new to get my teeth into!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Telo123

Andy Friselle MFCEO project,It's about bettering urself/Personal development unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I am enjoying Happy Face

For Melissa Moore, 1995 was a nightmare. That’s the year the teenager learned her father, Keith Hunter Jesperson, was a serial killer. It’s also the year Melissa Moore’s doubt spiral began: When you look like your father, and you share his intelligence and charisma, how do you know you’re not a psychopath, too? Happy Face is the story of Keith Hunter Jesperson, his brutal crimes, and the cat and mouse game he played with detectives and the media. But it’s also the story of the horrific legacy he gifted his children. Join Melissa Moore as she investigates her father’s crimes, reckons with the past, and wades through her darkest fears as she hunts for a better future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Well, that was a productive Friday in work ;). 6 episodes done, and I'm intrigued.
    I do get the feeling there will be no real resolution, but will still listen to the end.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Well, that was a productive Friday in work ;). 6 episodes done, and I'm intrigued.
    I do get the feeling there will be no real resolution, but will still listen to the end.

I felt that was horribly one sided. The guy who made it openly admits he thinks he did it in the podcast itself. I find it hard to continue to listen to someone who is so openly partial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I felt that was horribly one sided. The guy who made it openly admits he thinks he did it in the podcast itself. I find it hard to continue to listen to someone who is so openly partial.

On episode 8 now, and it is still massively one-sided.
    I really don't think the main question is "was Lyn murdered" , but now "will it ever be proven"
    I'm finding it more interesting in terms of will they find the body, prove the murder and /or get some change or charges in police depts and schools that were involved.
    Even based on the inquests mentioned (I'm still hoping for a bit more explanation how that came about) it seems it has been decided that she is dead and was most likely murdered by Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I found a podcast called "The Something Scary Podcast".

It's only a month old with 5 episodes, but they are very good, user-submitted ghost stories that are read and acted out by the host.
    There are 4 or 5 stories per 30 minute episode, so they don't outlive their welcome.

Very professionally produced too, with background music and sound effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Gary Lineker and Danny Baker have a new Football podcast 'Behind Closed Doors', I enjoyed the first two episodes.

Some entertaining anecdotes and nothing too heavy, the tone is driven by Baker. If you like any of his Radio shows it's a must listen. Lineker is candid with some interesting stories from his career

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1057582757109473280

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Stephen Fry’s Great Leap Years.

Absolutely fascinating podcast! Talks about the great advancements and leaps forward that humanity has made throughout the ages, starting right at the beginning with hunter gatherers.

http://www.stephenfry.com/greatleapyears/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RyanAdams11

Heroes for Hire - an Irish comicbook and movie based podcast that's kinda newish. They tackle all the weeks movie news along with weird news. They also do a cool segment called Hero or Zero every week talking one comicbook character and doing an in depth discussion on them. I find it really funny and their accents are just cool

I always listen to them on podbean, I find it's the best app for listening to stuff but they're on Itunes, Spotify and Castbox too i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Desert Island Discs ( massive archive there too - find I delete some & listen to some depending on guest but always enjoy)

Adam Buxton Podcast (interviews with various guests in particular British comedians)

Casefile (if you like true crime - different story each week with a few 2-part or 3-parters. Early ones a bit rough & ready but improves greatly in both style & narration as it goes on)

This American Life (various stories loosely connected by a theme each week)

Woman's Hour (magazine show covering wide variety of topics)

Slow Burn (Series 1: Nixon/Watergate Series 2: Clinton/Lewinsky)

Guardian Audio Long Reads (Long Reads from the Guardian narrated)

Athletico Mince ("football" podcast from Bob Mortimer & Andy Dawson)

The News Quiz (BBC Radio 4 comedy - HIGNFY in radio form really)

The Irish History Podcast (excellent detailed history podcast - have relistened to loads of these as they are packed with so much info)

american scandal is ok - covering the iran contra thing at the moment but has also done subjects like the steroids in baseball etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Broken Harts. It's a long form podcast about a seemingly normal couple who killed themselves and their six children by driving off a cliff. Very unsettling story because they were far from normal as it turns out.

http://jenkspod.com/

Really enjoyed this podcast. It's called "What Really Happened?' Some really interesting episodes.

Update:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/husband-charged-with-murder-in-australian-cold-case-at-centre-of-podcast-1.3722367

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

Considering the coroner's made recommendations twice that the husband be charged with murder it's hard to see how anyone could look at the evidence and not conclude that he wasn't telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 beardsandbeers

FPL podcast: beardsandbeers.podbean.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Worztron

For all the GNU/Linux fans out there, checkout this excellent podcast: Linux Lads https://linuxlads.com/feed_mp3.rss. It started back in August-2018. It's based in Dublin.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

find this podcast to be pretty good. as a bonus haven't come across an ad so far.

"Assassinations"

https://www.assassinationspodcast.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Broken Harts

Markis, Hannah, Devonte, Abigail, Jeremiah, and Sierra Hart—six beautiful black children, ranging in age from 12 to 19—were all adopted by Sarah and Jennifer Hart, both white. On Jen’s Facebook page, it looked as if they were the perfect blended family, even earning the nickname “Hart Tribe” from friends. Then, on March 26, 2018, the family’s GMC Yukon was found belly-up on the rocks below California’s Highway 1. The news of the murder-suicide shocked their friends and made national headlines, leaving many wondering what possibly led to the fatal crash. Could these lives have been saved? Broken Harts, a new podcast from Glamour and HowStuffWorks, investigates this question with more than 30 never-before-heard interviews. Cohosts and Glamour editors Justine Harman and Elisabeth Egan and reporter Lauren Smiley follow the family’s journey from South Dakota through Minnesota, Oregon, and Washington, and finally to that 100-foot cliff in California.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Can anyone recommend podcasts of radio chat shows outside of Ireland.along the lines of radio shows that deal with people's problems etc.or people call in and voice their opinions. something like gerry ryan did or joe duffy.along those lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Worztron

Another Irish FOSS (Free and open-source software) and GNU/Linux (aka Linux) podcast: The Binary Times

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement