Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Podcast

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Was about to recommend this, very easy to listen to.

Hopefully it won't be too English centric in what battles they cover, and despite the title they cover the other fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Probably the worst thing that ever happened in the history of listening …

I can’t get over how bad it is and how unfunny the two ‘hosts’ are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 StudyLover

I'm a big fan lately of 'The Rabbit Hole Detectives'

It's somewhere reminiscent of QI but less trying to be funny. Three very smart hosts who take a random topic of interest and research it for a week before giving 15 or so minutes of chat on it.

One of the hosts is Richard Coles who I suspect is better known in the uk but he's a very interesting guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I am sorry to tell you this, but the 2 Norries is not a comedy podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Didn’t say it was ??

the 2 ‘fellas’ carry on like babies. I had the misfortune of being in a car recently and someone had it on.

id imagine their listeners enjoy similar personalities.

• Advertisement

The 2nd season of Jon Ronson's Things Fell Apart was released last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Well you'll be glad to hear they're parking up the podcast at least for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Can you recommend any other espionage podcasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

My favourite espionage podcast of the past couple years is The Agent. Fascinating stuff.

"The true story of Jack Barsky, the longest-surviving known member of the KGB illegals program operated during the height of the Cold War"

I'll try add some more names here later. Please share if you have found any good ones. I've been struggling to find any interesting podcasts lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ociarba

The Big Steal by Patrick Radden Keeffe is good. About how Putin got his money from the oligarchs in Russia

Another good one is Revisionist History by Malcolm Gladwell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Started listening to "The Secret History of the Estonia" yesterday.

It's an investigative documentary series about the sinking of a ship in the Baltic sea in 1994....only listened to the first 2 episodes but it's riveting stuff so far imho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The new series of Jon Ronson's 'Things fell apart' is now available https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/things-fell-apart/id1592984136

It's about the culture wars but from a humanist perspective. He speaks to both sides and tries to see why they believe what they do and if he can he seeks to challenge those beliefs and help explain the current state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I Spy is stand alone episodes with ex spies. Some good, some ok. Narrated by that actor from The Americans - their handler.

dammit. Thought I would remember her name but had to google it: Margo Martindale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭Suckler

I'm a few years late given it came out in 2020 but still a good listen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m000jf7j

Currently enjoying a new podcast from RTE called Runaway Joe. Episodes still being released but it's pretty intriguing.

An investigation into one of the oldest unsolved cases on the FBI's books spanning six decades. Joseph Maloney remains wanted on a charge of first-degree murder having escaped justice in both the United States of America - and Ireland.

The first episode had me hooked but they're dragging the bol!icks out of it though, very little happens in each episode since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Karppi

Just got to this, it's excellent. Thoroughly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Agreed.....it's very convoluted.

I'll admit to not being 100% tuned in when I'm listening to it but it's extremely hard to follow imho....I'm sure there's an interesting story in there somewhere but there's way too many tenuous relations getting air time

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

I know there’s been a million different versions of the Sherlock Holmes stories in film and on TV in the last couple of decades, but the Sherlock & Co podcast is well worth a listen.

Each of the Conan Doyle stories updated for modern ears and told as radio plays over a couple of episodes. Very entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Spotify algorithms threw up 'The Lady Vanishes' during the week and I'm hooked. The series started 5 years ago, so I've been firing through old eps. It focuses on the disappearance of a middle-aged Australian teacher who decided to travel to Europe in 1997. She rang home a few times, sent a few cards, etc, but failed to reappear back home for her daughter's wedding and hasn't been seen since. The investigation in the 1990s was a shambles.

The podcast wound up recently, and there's been significant progress since it launched in 2019, at least in part due to the podcast, or at least the attention it drew to the case.

• Advertisement

Spot on with your comment. It dragged on something serious but at the same time felt like it wrapped up too quick.

Easy knowing this podcast is being paid for by the public broadcaster. Pavel Barter is taking the p!ss. Another episode where nothing happens but hey how's about another trip to Cyprus and then another one back to the States.

Keep putting those tv licence letters into my letterbox.

Nice work if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

In the Dark by The New Yorker. Can't recommend enough. I've just finished the second season about Curtis Flowers - if you don't know anything about it, don't google it. It's just extraordinary how much **** goes down in the US "Justice" system. Highly recommeded:

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Currently listening to Mobituaries, where the presenter Mo Rocca (a CBS news correspendant) gives the listener an obituary of a person or sometimes an object who's passing he feels was overlooked at the time .

Some episodes are of celebrities that are well known but many are long forgotten from pop culture.His style is to avoid the more salacious angle that many podcasts go for and it works very well imo .some episodes include Singer Peggy Lee and a young girl Samantha Smith who during the Reagan era sent a letter to the Russian President beseaching him not to start a nuclear war.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭joinme

Thanks for the tip on this. i just finished listening to the Curtis Flowers series. it's remarkable the investigation that was done by the podcast team, so diligent and effective, essentially the work you would hope/expect impartial law enforcement to do. Their work, along with his defense team was imperative to the outcome.

Doug Evans and the prosecution are really exposed here for the way they tried the case ( 6 times!!). But I wouldn't be holding my breath anyone will face any repercussions. Race is still such a big issue in the US, if you are black you are not equal in the eyes of the law in many states.

Advertisement