Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

We got a new kitchen a couple of months ago. Nothing used to beep. Everything beeps now. We've essentially created a kitchen relay where we check the dishwasher, hob, oven and microwave before figuring out what the hell is going on. The only thing that doesn't beep is the washing machine, and that's in the shed.

My dishwasher does that. 4 long loud beeps in a row and not only once. It goes again and again and again and f*cking again :mad: I mean I'm usually only feet away from it as I'm on the couch but it is really annoying. If I put dishwasher on late at night and go to bed I can still hear it from my bedroom. It's like "I'M FINISHED MY CYCLE COME EMPTY ME OR I'LL MALE YOUR BUTTER KNIVES GO RUSTY". Bastarding thing.

Graces7 wrote: »
    reminds me of the d***** smoke/heat alarms they fitted. One was right above the cooker and as the place is small, they set each other off... then the co2 alarm malfunctioned... I killed them all!

That's the same in my place. Ceiling is quite low so smoke alarm goes off quite often. If I put the oven up any higher than 180, it sets the alarm off when I open it. If I forget about oil in the pan for like 5 miliseconds it sets the smoke alarm off. A tiny dot of black on toast...yep, smoke alarm.

At least I test it works regularly I guess, I wouldn't otherwise. :rolleyes:

The management company had someone going round last year testing the alarms in the apartments and the guy told me that the smoke alarm and heat detector are in the wrong place. He said heat detector should be in the kitchen and smoke detector further out in the hall where the heat detector was (or at least not right over the cooker) :confused: Told me it must be really annoying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Picturing some sort of Predator type confrontation with kitchen appliances.

If it beeps we can kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That's the same in my place. Ceiling is quite low so smoke alarm goes off quite often. If I put the oven up any higher than 180, it sets the alarm off when I open it. If I forget about oil in the pan for like 5 miliseconds it sets the smoke alarm off. A tiny dot of black on toast...yep, smoke alarm.

At least I test it works regularly I guess, I wouldn't otherwise. :rolleyes:

The management company had someone going round last year testing the alarms in the apartments and the guy told me that the smoke alarm and heat detector are in the wrong place. He said heat detector should be in the kitchen and smoke detector further out in the hall where the heat detector was (or at least not right over the cooker) :confused: Told me it must be really annoying.

I got so mad as the one over the cooker I slaughtered it. The ceiling is too high for me to reach so I walloped the life out of it...Then got the kind electrician to take the others down. When he saw what I had done he did not hesitaie. No one ever comes t the island to check and if they do I will plead insanity or dementia

The first time the one over the cooker went off, I dropped the frying pan; the cats left home, the dog went berserk then saw the dropped food .....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

My washing machine (same brand, different model) finishes every wash with this little ditty.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

He said heat detector should be in the kitchen and smoke detector further out in the hall where the heat detector was (or at least not right over the cooker) :confused: Told me it must be really annoying.
    in my work I got them to put heat ones in a room which often would see smoke.

My housemate used to pretty much use the smoke alarm in the kitchen as a cooking timer!

I have opened devices to quieten down the beeping sounds. The speakers can have holes in them which you stuff with tissue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

BaZmO* wrote: »
    My washing machine (same brand, different model) finishes every wash with this little ditty.

Jesus, I would have to fix that. Permanently. With a mallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

fryup wrote: »
    not at all, best online article i've read in ages...have it bookmarked

peppermint tea for me ;)

Don't believe it, my OH pretty much only drinks peppermint tea and I can't say it has much effect on his... emissions.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

My dishwasher does that. 4 long loud beeps in a row and not only once. It goes again and again and again and f*cking again :mad: I mean I'm usually only feet away from it as I'm on the couch but it is really annoying. If I put dishwasher on late at night and go to bed I can still hear it from my bedroom. It's like "I'M FINISHED MY CYCLE COME EMPTY ME OR I'LL MALE YOUR BUTTER KNIVES GO RUSTY". Bastarding thing.

Check the manual - there may be a button combination when you start it that will prevent beeping at the end. I know our washing machine has that feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

kylith wrote: »
    Jesus, I would have to fix that. Permanently. With a mallet.

Sounds like an on time Ryanair flight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Are any of the packaged potato salads not rank? I like having some for dinner in the hot weather but it only ever seems nice out of the deli counter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never found a great potato salad. I make my own using baby potatoes, I boil them then cut them into chunks. While they're still warm (this is important!), I add diced red onion, a load of mayonnaise and a glug of either lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, salt & black pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

There's one you can get in Cork supermarkets that's made in Carrigtwohill that I think it pretty tasty but it's not chunks of potato, it's actually almost like cold mashed potato but yummy; but I agree with Dizzyblonde, you're probably better off making your own, and egg mayo too - they're both very easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Anyone ever see twix ice cream bars anymore? So nice but so hard to get

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Does anyone have a good recipe for a broccoli cheddar soup that is good to reheat.

Had some the other day out for lunch and it was really good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

On holliers in Portugal. Wandering around Lisbon we sort of just happened upon the Time Out Market. I think I’ve just found heaven. Every sort of amazing food stall surrounding a huge eating/drinking area. :D

BC314-D92-C5-B2-4379-98-B0-1-B26-FA16692-D.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good recipe for a broccoli cheddar soup that is good to reheat.

I regularly make this broccoli soup from the "Souper Soup" thread, it's the favourite soup in our house:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68984613&postcount=35

I don't add the cream. You could absolutely add a handful of cheddar to taste - a strong cheddar would be best.

On holliers in Portugal. Wandering around Lisbon we sort of just happened upon the Time Out Market. I think I’ve just found heaven. Every sort of amazing food stall surrounding a huge eating/drinking area. :D

Looks amazing G - enjoy!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Metro line from our hotel had a stop right outside so we fell in there nearly every day for one meal or another. Found an outer suburban Nepali restaurant (which my memory suggests was very good) one night and had huge sandwiches in a craft beer bar in a tunnel another day but absolutely nothing else was memorable bar here.

Trying to remember what we had - there's something in the back corner on the market side that was good; we went to the Prego place twice, and had a very good cheese/hams board from somewhere on the long side wall. And lots of beers from the Super Bock craft stall, and far too many Natas from the place near the front door.

We were in Lisbon five nights which tbh is too long, maybe not if you go out to Sintra but we went no further than Belem.

edit: that first "something" was the croquette place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The food options must have improved since I was there in 2013. I was on a shoestring budget though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah Portugal. :) Lots of Pastel de nata's and Vinho Verde!

I love Portugal. We were there last year and found an amazing seafood place on the recommendation of the tour guide. I wanted a place that the locals go to so she recommended a place down by the sea, totally off the beaten track. Lots of amazing BBQ’d fresh fish served with a simple tomato salad and boiled tomatoes. Amazing value.

485479.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Can't remember the name of the stall but there's one on the top right that does cuttlefish in black ink batter thats very tasty.

OMG going to Lisbon on Tuesday! :pac:

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

I just made this again recently. It's really tasty. I don't add cream as I don't think it needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭keepwalking

BC314-D92-C5-B2-4379-98-B0-1-B26-FA16692-D.jpg

I've just booked a few days in Lisbon and that market is high on my list of places to try. I've never been to Portugal before, so I'm really looking forward to trying out the food! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭keepwalking

L1011 wrote: »
    The Metro line from our hotel had a stop right outside so we fell in there nearly every day for one meal or another. Found an outer suburban Nepali restaurant (which my memory suggests was very good) one night and had huge sandwiches in a craft beer bar in a tunnel another day but absolutely nothing else was memorable bar here.

Trying to remember what we had - there's something in the back corner on the market side that was good; we went to the Prego place twice, and had a very good cheese/hams board from somewhere on the long side wall. And lots of beers from the Super Bock craft stall, and far too many Natas from the place near the front door.

We were in Lisbon five nights which tbh is too long, maybe not if you go out to Sintra but we went no further than Belem.

edit: that first "something" was the croquette place.

I'm making a note of all this, thanks! :D My other half is a big fan of croquettes, so we'll definitely be checking those out!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

anyone eaten chickweed? ie wild food? I have a good lot in my garden and looked it up

https://www.wildedible.com/chickweed

sounds excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can anyone recommend a good brand of tamarind paste. Last jar I got was absolutely rotten and ruined a pad thai. Cant remember the brand as it went in the bin quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have TRS concentrated tamarind paste.
    I like it. It's very strong - use sparingly.
    Ingredients, just tamarind and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are there any shops doing cheap concentrated apple juice? Like this little cans of squeez you got years ago which are 100% juice which you add water to, some brands used mini cartons too.

A litre of juice is just 79c in tesco or aldi so I would want it that price or less (after dilution of course). I know it can be got in health food shops but usually costs a fortune.

You would think with packaging concerns these days that they would be available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

So, this is quite nice.
    Fragrant.

From Mr. Bells.

IMG-20190727-161918.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement