Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1.20 for a whole nut

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

ould be slated for splitting multi packs and accused of ripping customers off.

We sell retail packs of bars as produced for that very market by the manufacturer.

As for selling another retail outlets own brand products... I don't even believe that people have actually suggested that, it's an insanely ridiculous idea. Would Dunnes sell Tesco own brands?

And as already stated a lot of multi pack bars are smaller and/or marked as being multi pack bars and not for resale.[/

There is absolutely no way that ANY multiple ( LIDL, Aldi, Tesco or Dunnes )would allow any of their branded products, but especially any branded food product be offered for sale in another retail outlet, no matter how small it was.
    They would consider it to be a breach of their copyright and would( and have) come down like a ton of bricks on retailers that have tried this over the years.
    They have a very valid reason for this; they are responsible for the integrity of the food product, if someone complained of food poisoning.or the FSAI recalled the product, they have a strict liability on the matter.
    Who is the better "mark" for compensation, the small shopkeeper or the large multiple?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

We sell retail packs of bars as produced for that very market by the manufacturer.

As for selling another retail outlets own brand products... I don't even believe that people have actually suggested that, it's an insanely ridiculous idea. Would Dunnes sell Tesco own brands?

And as already stated a lot of multi pack bars are smaller and/or marked as being multi pack bars and not for resale.
    Every one of these points were preempted and addressed by me already, go back and read. If you still have a question I will gladly answer it. Better send the men in white coats out to the managers in dunnes.
    doublej wrote: »
    There is absolutely no way that ANY multiple ( LIDL, Aldi, Tesco or Dunnes )would allow any of their branded products, but especially any branded food product be offered for sale in another retail outlet, no matter how small it was.
    They would consider it to be a breach of their copyright and would( and have) come down like a ton of bricks on retailers that have tried this over the years.
    Have you any source/reference on this? I was asking earlier if there was anyway lidl could stop it. I did search myself and found nothing.

I could quote dozens of instances of retailers being compelled to cease and desist from activities that brand holders of Own Brands have sent to the small shop holders.
    I don't believe that you would have to search further than make a phone call to LIDL and ask them if its ok to sell any of their branded products in stores that are not under their direct control.
    This is completely different from Butlers or Lily O Briens products which are made widely available to all traders through direct supply, through authorised distributors and cash and carrys.

So that's a no...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

I think you should keep the men in the white coats all to yourself...

• Advertisement

Still a no then, I'll just presume it was a load of made up nonsense so. In recent years the "bloke in the pub" stories have become the "lawyer in the pub" stories, in an attempt to sound more believable.

Let me put it to you this way, I go to Lidl and buy a case of their bars for 69c each and sell them for 99c.

You enter my shop and see Lidl chocolate for sale at a 30c mark up.

Where would you buy the product?

Secondly, when I buy from my wholesaler I pay them for a product that comes with an invoice, in my company name, which is charged at 21% VAT. I then in turn pay the Revenue 21% VAT on profit I male on my mark up on that product.

If I have an audit, I have to provide them with all invoices for my purchases which must be in my name. Please explain to me how this works if I buy the item from Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

If I have an audit, I have to provide them with all invoices for my purchases which must be in my name. Please explain to me how this works if I buy the item from Lidl?

Pubs can buy stock from supermarkets/off licences and use the normal receipt for revenue purposes.

Let me put it to you this way, I go to Lidl and buy a case of their bars for 69c each and sell them for 99c.

You enter my shop and see Lidl chocolate for sale at a 30c mark up.

Where would you buy the product?
    I already answered this
    rubadub wrote: »
    In a local shop I would pay 99c for a lidl whole nut bar which I think is 69c.

Nothing unusual about this, the OP paid €1.20 and the bar is 99cent in tescos. That's the whole idea behind convenience stores, I expect to pay more. In addition the bar is bigger, better quality chocolate, about twice as many nuts per 100g, 12% vs 23-24%

In deansgrange there is a lidl and a supervalu over the road. I have often looked into lidl, saw massive queues and gone over to supervalu instead, paying more for similar products.

I don't see any big difference, granted it is unusual, but I would quickly get used to it. Just like I am used to getting Waitrose own brand stuff in Dunnes now.

As above pubs buy from supermarkets all the time, I would love if my local got lidl Perlenbacher beer in, people agreed in other threads. The other oddity is that most pubs do not have cans for sale to be drank on the premises. I have been in a few that did, but most don't. Its like all the retailers and publicans just copy each other, they don't see others do it and presume nobody will accept it. Yet those same publicans are probably handing cans out to friends & relatives to drink at BBQs and Christmas, but for some reason think its unacceptable in a pub.

The Waitrose/Dunnes situation is entirely different as Waitrose don't operate in Ireland at all.

• Advertisement

The Waitrose/Dunnes situation is entirely different as Waitrose don't operate in Ireland at all.
    I would say slightly different. My point stands, I would buy a lidl bar in your shop. What do you think peoples objections would be, that it is so "entirely different"? I was mixing you up with the other poster in my second last post by the way. Can you give a few reasons why you think it is "insanely ridiculous"
    Would Dunnes sell Tesco own brands?
    Probably not, especially not in the way I am suggesting, and I never suggested they would. I am talking of small shops, convenience stores, this should have been pretty obvious.

Dunnes would be buying from tesco's shelves, so if they are sending in buyers they have a problem of needing much higher stock levels than a corner shop. Then they do not have the same convenience factor so people are less likely to pay the extra margin. So its pretty different.

Now if Tesco started supplying Dunnes products like Waitrose do, presumably at a lower price than they sell in their own shops, then there probably would come a tipping point where it is worth their while to do it.

I would say slightly different. My point stands, I would buy a lidl bar in your shop. What do you think peoples objections would be, that it is so "entirely different"? I was mixing you up with the other poster in my second last post by the way. Can you give a few reasons why you think it is "insanely ridiculous"

Probably not, especially not in the way I am suggesting, and I never suggested they would. I am talking of small shops, convenience stores, this should have been pretty obvious.

Dunnes would be buying from tesco's shelves, so if they are sending in buyers they have a problem of needing much higher stock levels than a corner shop. Then they do not have the same convenience factor so people are less likely to pay the extra margin. So its pretty different.

Now if Tesco started supplying Dunnes products like Waitrose do, presumably at a lower price than they sell in their own shops, then there probably would come a tipping point where it is worth their while to do it.

Rubadub, lets get this straight; It would be an illegal action for a retailer to offer for sale an own brand product that was developed for exclusive sale in the outlets owned or licenced to a Symbol or Multiple to which that retailer did not belong.
    Simple as that.It wouldnt matter if you or a thousand other people were willing to pay 10,20 or 30 per cent over the RSP for the "convenience" of that product being available in a small store, it is a breach of the rights of the brandholder to have their product resold in physical conditions (storage/refridgeration) over which they have no control.
    My earlier suggestion stands,ring LIDL,ALDI,Dunnes,Tesco,SuperValu,Centra,Spar,Marks and Spencer,Londis or CostCutter and ask any or all of them if they would have a difficulty with seeing their Own Brand product sold in a small store that they do not own or have an economic relationship with,even if they had sold the product to the shop at full Recommended Selling Price. You might further ask them what do/would they do if they became aware of their brand(s) being sold in the same small shop.I can assure you that each of them would take extreme steps to protect their brand.Own Brand is precisely that;it is completely different to brands that are developed for sale in the wider retail arena.
    You may not think this is fair but it is the reality and is not the product of a "bloke in the pub", "lawyer in the pub" thought process.Nor,may I add is it a nonsense. You are perfectly entitled to hold a different view to others but making snide or disparaging comments is neither courteous nor neccessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

find the dearest way to buy a bar of wholenut and then bitch about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Home Bargains need to open a shop in Ireland. You can get a Mars bar for less than 30p. It may be as low as 27p. I haven't bought chocolate in ages now. Pretty sure you can buy Cadburys bars for the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

find the dearest way to buy a bar of wholenut and then bitch about it

find the dearest bar of wholenut and pay up. Yes sir, please sir.

If people put up with paying over the odds for things then companies chance their arm a lot more and pay what they think they'll get away with.

I had experience first hand with this where I worked before, I was advised to charge clients different prices for the exact same things, as some would happily pay and I was to charge what I felt the client would pay. If the client complained, drop the price a little, if not, keep it going. There was a massive difference in some cases between what clients payed for the same things and it was completely and immorally wrong. (I'm not working there any more)

So long as there are people willing to pay and say nothing, people will be charged accordingly. Bit like upwards only rents, prices increase but rarely decrease

Well, i've paid €1.20 for a whole nut once, but I wont be paying it a second. It wont make a blind bit of difference to kraft, but I couldn't care about them, it'll be me who'll be saving by going elsewhere

Go enjoy you're expensive chocolate now, you've earned it for your words of wisdom

It all boils down to value and worth, something is only worth whatever people are prepared to pay for it.

For everyone else astounded by the prices of confectionery, I'd advice them to pay a visit to the Spar shop on Dame St in Dublin...now that's a rip off.

Rubadub, lets get this straight; It would be an illegal action for a retailer to offer for sale an own brand product that was developed for exclusive sale in the outlets owned or licenced to a Symbol or Multiple to which that retailer did not belong.
    Simple as that.It wouldnt matter if you or a thousand other people were willing to pay 10,20 or 30 per cent over the RSP for the "convenience" of that product being available in a small store, it is a breach of the rights of the brandholder to have their product resold in physical conditions (storage/refridgeration) over which they have no control.
    My earlier suggestion stands,ring LIDL,ALDI,Dunnes,Tesco,SuperValu,Centra,Spar,Marks and Spencer,Londis or CostCutter and ask any or all of them if they would have a difficulty with seeing their Own Brand product sold in a small store that they do not own or have an economic relationship with,even if they had sold the product to the shop at full Recommended Selling Price. You might further ask them what do/would they do if they became aware of their brand(s) being sold in the same small shop.I can assure you that each of them would take extreme steps to protect their brand.Own Brand is precisely that;it is completely different to brands that are developed for sale in the wider retail arena.
    You may not think this is fair but it is the reality and is not the product of a "bloke in the pub", "lawyer in the pub" thought process.Nor,may I add is it a nonsense. You are perfectly entitled to hold a different view to others but making snide or disparaging comments is neither courteous nor neccessary.
    Again a simple NO would have done...

Again a simple NO would have done...

Not when the question posed by you was whether LIDL could prevent a small store owner from selling LIDL chocolate in the small shop. The answer would be a YES, they can prevent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

With literally 1 whole nut in it!

Probably Cadbury more than the retailers, but this scrimping, meaning we pay more and get less is really getting annoying now

Cadbury's can go and feck! I'd rather go hungry now

€1.20 a bar of chocolate is a joke surely!

sounds like the kind of price topaz petrol stations charge

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

4 Double Deckers for €1.50 in Tesco yesterday. I bought 8.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

Big 50gm Milk Chocolate Catch Bar 65c in Dunnes Stores - Happy days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    4 Double Deckers for €1.50 in Tesco yesterday. I bought 8.

mmmm, i love double deckers. bring back the nunch though, and the catch bar as well while we're at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

razorgil wrote: »
    mmmm, i love double deckers. bring back the nunch though, and the catch bar as well while we're at it
    They had Catch Bars in the spar in DCU and they sold out in a couple of days Hope they order more..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

They had Catch Bars in the spar in DCU and they sold out in a couple of days Hope they order more..:confused:

What are catch bar. Are they the one with caffeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

What are catch bar. Are they the one with caffeine.

nah..rice crispies, caramel and chocolate and wafer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

And as already stated a lot of multi pack bars are smaller and/or marked as being multi pack bars and not for resale.[/

They have a very valid reason for this; they are responsible for the integrity of the food product, if someone complained of food poisoning.or the FSAI recalled the product, they have a strict liability on the matter.
    Who is the better "mark" for compensation, the small shopkeeper or the large multiple?

Copyright applies to publications. By denying other outlet the right to resell a product they would be guilty of price fixing. If you look at a lot of shops like dealz, eurogeneral, tuthills they sell asda branded product etc.

Lidl etc might not like your reselling their product but there is nothing they can do about it, except maybe limiting how many of a given product a customer may buy. Something I have never seen them do. I have off seen people come to the register with a full tray of chopped tomatoes etc. They have no more reason to refuse that sale that a bunch of chocolate.

€1.20 for a whole nut is one thing, but I was in a super valu yesterday where I saw a standard wispa gold retailing at €1.29....and this was in Donegal, not some high street in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Tesco do any 2 of the big ones for 2.50

Tesco is 2 x 100g for €2.50.
    Aldi have 1 x 200g for €1.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

€1.20 for a whole nut is one thing, but I was in a super valu yesterday where I saw a standard wispa gold retailing at €1.29....and this was in Donegal, not some high street in Dublin.

A pint and a bar of chocolate... At the best part of €10 in the right spots in temple bar... What a country!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I like the Ritter Sport bars, absolutely loaded with nuts. Miss the times when Cadburys was full of whole nuts :(

Advertisement