Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1.20 for a whole nut

Options
  • 05-10-2013 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

With literally 1 whole nut in it!

Probably Cadbury more than the retailers, but this scrimping, meaning we pay more and get less is really getting annoying now

Cadbury's can go and feck! I'd rather go hungry now

€1.20 a bar of chocolate is a joke surely!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

With literally 1 whole nut in it!

Probably Cadbury more than the retailers, but this scrimping, meaning we pay more and get less is really getting annoying now

Cadbury's can go and feck! I'd rather go hungry now

Aldi have a lovely dark chocolate wholenut and it's huge for 1.30 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Aldi have a lovely dark chocolate wholenut and it's huge for 1.30 I think.

This was a bog standard 55g bar btw!

I'll check it out thanks :)

Tesco do any 2 of the big ones for 2.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Get used to it.

Cadburys are putting more price increases through AND making the bars smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Their new packaging which makes the block bars look bigger is extremely sneaky.

Kraft have to make their money back some how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Check the packaging ; does it say nutS in the ingredients - you might have them there under unfair advertising ... Course you may have eaten the evidence !!!!

Aldi bars far inferior unfortunately :( tried them with great hopes but was disappointed, sadly. :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Aldi bars far inferior unfortunately :( tried them with great hopes but was disappointed, sadly. :'(

I find Lidl dark chocolate very good. Much better than the standard Bournville. But you're right, the Lidl/Aldi milk chocolate is a bit different to Cadbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

This one in Lidl is really good & far nicer than Cadbury's whole nut

li00429-500x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Check the packaging ; does it say nutS in the ingredients - you might have them there under unfair advertising ... Course you may have eaten the evidence !!!!

Tha Aldi dark wholenut is lovely. Full of delicious nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Lidl&aldi chocolate is far superior to the crap cadbury dish out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

I was in EuroGiant (Euro2) today and got 5 bars for €2 (you can pic and mix). I got Wispa, Toffee Crisp, Drifter, Cad Dairymilk, a Twix and a Mars - they were all normal size. That's €0.40 each. They had Cadburys but not sure about Fruit & Nut as I don't eat it but at €1.20 - they could keep it!

Nice story on BBC Breakfast this morning about the price of a 100g bar increasing by 21p. They state that the price of cocoa and milk is the contributing factor.

This will push most standard bars up to the €1.10-1.30 range.

This will more than likely be coupled with ever shrinking bars.

I await further outrage.

Ps, on the topic of lidl chocolate it's every bit as good as Cadbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I will certainly second the comments about the Lidl bars, I find them to be excellent, in fact certainly better quality than the Cadbury bars and MUCH better value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Cadbury chocolate contains vegetable fat (read palm and other nasties). Lidl and Aldi contain cocoa butter, the way proper chocolate should

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I thought in my lifetime I'd see the one-nut-per-square bar Whole Nut.

Now you're lucky to get one nut per bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Well you paid it, so I can't see how you think its a joke.

I find it odd that people frequenting the rip off forum pay so much over the odds, I would have thought they would be more wary. Last bars I got were bounties and snickers, 4 for 1.50, and I don't think that's a particularly good price.

Last good price I got was 8 full size kit kat chunkies for €1.24

The lidl bar pictured above is chopped hazelnuts, the whole nut one has a higher % of nuts and around the same price, in case you like lots of nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Jaysus, did ya check the dates on those?

Grayditch wrote: »
    Jaysus, did ya check the dates on those?

All well in date, from tesco, the prices are not that strange. You might want to start checking bargain alerts rather than this forum, which is more like a "expensive alert forum", you rarely see genuine rip offs reported here, just people almost bragging about how much they handed over for stuff that is easily got at a fraction of the price.

The price for the standard bars pays for those multipack deals and according to media reportstthis week such offers may soon be a thing of the past.

those multipack deals and according to media reportstthis week such offers may soon be a thing of the past.
    Any links to this? or reason why the mulitpack deals would end, and not just go up the same %?

• Advertisement

Was one of the suggestions given on BBC Breakfast the other morning as ways for the manufacturers to absorb rising costs. Less chocolate promotions was the main suggestion to avoid wholesale price increases across the board.

I don't know what people class as a reasonable profit but we currently sell a Twirl at 99c. That bar cost me 79c yesterday from my wholesaler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Was one of the suggestions given on BBC Breakfast the other morning as ways for the manufacturers to absorb rising costs. Less chocolate promotions was the main suggestion to avoid wholesale price increases across the board.

I don't know what people class as a reasonable profit but we currently sell a Twirl at 99c. That bar cost me 79c yesterday from my wholesaler.

I think you need a new wholesaler. I know it's not Cadbury, but me, not even in retail, can get wholesale Mars bars for 27c inc VAT. Cadbury couldn't wholesale for 3 times that, especially since the 2 bars are similar retail price

image.jpg

Cadbury costs a fair bit more in wholesale prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Also, that price quoted is for 288 bars. Thats a full outer of 6 boxes. One box is all a smaller shop would order as the outer could run into date issues if they dont sell fast enough.

A lot of shops could not order that quantity at once. I just logged into my cash and carry and a box of mars bars currently works out at 50c per bar excluding VAT. Thats a special offer.

Reasonable profit is not necessarily a reasonable price though. I would certainly not pay 79cent for a twirl.

Do any of you guys just split mulitpacks? If I had a shop I would have both bars available, to stop the whingers, making around about the same on both bars (not % wise, like 20cent on either bar). If the bars were different weights I would clearly state it and show price per kilo.

Also have you ever considered selling supermarket brand bars? I would not pay 99c for the twirl which cost 79c to the retailer. In a local shop I would pay 99c for a lidl whole nut bar which I think is 69c. Can lidl stop people doing this in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

rubadub wrote: »
    Reasonable profit is not necessarily a reasonable price though. I would certainly not pay 79cent for a twirl.

Do any of you guys just split mulitpacks? If I had a shop I would have both bars available, to stop the whingers, making around about the same on both bars (not % wise, like 20cent on either bar). If the bars were different weights I would clearly state it and show price per kilo.

Also have you ever considered selling supermarket brand bars? I would not pay 99c for the twirl which cost 79c to the retailer. In a local shop I would pay 99c for a lidl whole nut bar which I think is 69c. Can lidl stop people doing this in any way?

I actually don't think it would work. People seem to be very loyal to their brands, and if they now accept to buy supermarket branded items in supermakets, I doubt very much they would buy them in their local shop. Obviously, people who buy chocolate bars in newsagents are kindda inpulse buying and not looking for value but for a munchie fix. If people want value on variety bars, they usually go to pound shops

I can't see too many of my customers buying lidl branded chocolate from me in a small newsagents and as the previous poster said people who buy from me are brand loyal.

As for multi-packs we stock them when they are on offer and splitting them isn't always an option as they are often mark multi pack bars not to be sold separately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

As for multi-packs we stock them when they are on offer and splitting them isn't always an option as they are often mark multi pack bars not to be sold separately

don't think I've ever seen multipack bars marked like that.
    and even with multipack cans you won't get many complaints (if any) if you're selling them cheaper.

Nanazolie wrote: »
    People seem to be very loyal to their brands
    people who buy from me are brand loyal.
    They are indeed, see what this previous poster said ;)
    PWEI wrote: »
    This one in Lidl is really good & far nicer than Cadbury's whole nut

If you have not even attempted to sell them then how do you know they would not buy them, and be loyal to the brand. Just treat it like any new brand that appears on the market.

Dunnes stores are now selling Waitrose own brand products. I have to admit I thought it strange but then thought "why not" its just another brand.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/uk-retailer-waitrose-to-strengthen-dunnes-link-26859017.html

Lidl & aldi both have great reputations for chocolate quality, they ARE brands. You could think of it like Sony being sold in powercity as well as the sony shops. Or lily o briens & butlers in supermarkets as well as their own outlets.

if they now accept to buy supermarket branded items in supermakets, I doubt very much they would buy them in their local shop.
    You will be selling them at a higher price, just like your normal bars are typically more expensive than they are in supermarkets. People are fully aware of this.

people who buy chocolate bars in newsagents are kindda inpulse buying and not looking for value but for a munchie fix.
    I am not saying it will be much cheaper, so they are not really going to get it really cheap, they are getting good value in the sense its better quality at the same or slightly lower price.

don't think I've ever seen multipack bars marked like that.
    I have seen lots of bars marked like that. But it has no legal bearing, this has come up numerous times in other forums. Some people certainly moan about it, that's why I suggested having both bars available, with it clearly stated they are mulitpack bars.

I think it would be great free advertising for small shops. People would be talking about it, probably even get in the papers as you illustrate the large price differential. Even if you just had 1 or 2 items.

• Advertisement

ould be slated for splitting multi packs and accused of ripping customers off.

We sell retail packs of bars as produced for that very market by the manufacturer.

As for selling another retail outlets own brand products... I don't even believe that people have actually suggested that, it's an insanely ridiculous idea. Would Dunnes sell Tesco own brands?

And as already stated a lot of multi pack bars are smaller and/or marked as being multi pack bars and not for resale.

Advertisement