Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MV Magner pays €2.85m for a Montjeu x Finsceal Beo Colt

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Go Native

They can very easily put other runners off by block entries to scare off these other runners you speak of. Money talks mate and money can buy off runners. What UK runners are going to come over for the Phoneix? Qatar and Godolphin's UK yards have more sense than to try take on Coolmore in two year old races in Ireland. Bolger and Weld are the only realistic dangers and they simply don't have the fire power when it comes down to it, and both are wise enough to accept defeat re block entries and move on to other races.

Slattsy wrote: »
    And hope no other trainer runs theirs :confused:

Wouldn't say hope, more like financially overpower. It's like a game of poker. You may have the best hand in a game, but if you can't see and raise the stakes then you are out of the game I'm afraid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Go Native wrote: »
    They can very easily put other runners off by block entries to scare off these other runners you speak of. Money talks mate and money can buy off runners. What UK runners are going to come over for the Phoneix? Qatar and Godolphin's UK yards have more sense than to try take on Coolmore in two year old races in Ireland. Bolger and Weld are the only realistic dangers and they simply don't have the fire power when it comes down to it, and both are wise enough to accept defeat re block entries and move on to other races.

So they basically won't bother taking on Coolmore because they can't beat them?

It's not that they can't beat them, it's more a case that the best trainers/owners have more sense than to compete against Coolmore in entries in the group one two year old 6f races in Ireland. Have you ever wondered why Richard Hannon doesn't target any horses at the Phoneix Stakes???? Let's face it he's a superb trainer of two year old sprinters, but he and his owners have more sense than to bother getting involved in the race. The clueless English trainers will always have an entry i.e Mick Channon etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Go Native wrote: »
    I don't disagree with any of the above, but my point remains that there will always be an exception to the rule and Coolmore simply wouldn't pay that kind of money for another middle distance horse. They already have them at home.

What :confused:

They continuously support their stallions at the sales. In the case of Galileo and especially the case in Montjeu you're erring with stamina rather than speed

The reason they wanted this horse is because Montjeu is dead and they feel this horse is an excellent specimen (I read elsewhere he was almost the perfect yearling) with the potential to join the Coolmore roster one day. Yes they have Pour Moi and Camelot already but there are no guarantees with stallions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement