Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MV Magner pays €2.85m for a Montjeu x Finsceal Beo Colt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I was the under bidder.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭robfullam

Unlucky Mate! Maybe next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

A massive price that will be hard to recuperate unless he turns out to be very special. Lot of interesting aspects to the sale. A timely boost to the Montjeu lines commercial image at a time when Coolmore are trying to lay the groundwork for Camelot and St Nicholas Abbey starting their stud careers and it will do their other Derby winner Pour Moi no harm either.

But wtf was Richard Hannon junior doing underbidding for such a massively priced middle distance prospect? A bit out of their usual comfort zone pricewise and distance wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Overthelast

In the late 90's, I recall looking down the racecard for a maiden at Ballybrit wondering where to wager my £1ew, only to spy this Coolmore 2yo, purchased for $2m in the US. It finished down the field and never won a race afaik. Then again, Leading Light finished down the field in his maiden too, but thankfully has gone onto better things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Many years ago they paid $7 million for a yearling colt that won a race in Tipperary when i was there one summer evening. Must check my old racecards for the name as when I saw this last night, it came into my head.

I remarked to the guy besides me in the stands that twas an awful come down for that price and a bad gamble. He pointed out that all they need is one out of every ten to be a stud success and over 15 years, they recoup the money with profit. They might make individual loses but they sell on horses/stallions and get some money back.

Its a huge price alright but I think the lovely grass and air down in Waterford has alot to do with the price. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Was that horse Tasmanian Tiger?

Think Van Nisteltoy cost $6m+ and then there's the fiasco that was The Green Monkey. They had a few lucky escapes around the 2004/05 years when Darley went a bit crazy, think Jalil had the highest price tag of $9m+. Quite often on those horses Coolmore were under bidder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I was going to say Van Nistelrooy Colonel but I think he was around 3 US but could be wrong

Or you could be right 6.4 USD is springing to mind for someone could be him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Black Sam Bellamy was another horse that cost a fortune.

• Advertisement

Easy to see why, in fairness he did win two group 1s and is doing well with jumpers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Who was the 16$ lad and when was that? Absolutely crazy stuff.

Itziger wrote: »

Green Monkey a son of Forestry, ran a breeze up in a ridiculous time. Bidding between Coolmore and Darley, ran three times in maidens I think it was finished third once.

And now stands at stud for $5,000.

Has sired winners too

The Green Monkey who couldn't break his maiden after three races and was retired with the consignors buying back a share in him and standing him themselves, with Coolmore having the option to stand him at Ashford if they like.

He's doing fine at stud, 16 winners from 20 runners, one a stakes winner so he's not a complete dud..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Ah, so that was the Green Monkey, I remember the fanfare at the time alright. Fcuking 'ell, 5,000 a throw. He'll need to keep going for a few years to recoup the money!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Pocket change to the coolmore boys not even a drop in the ocean to them spending a few million on this colt.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

John Magnier broke European record today. 3.6 million guineas

He was involved in a bidding war with David Redvers and then Sheikh Fahad for a Galileo full-brother to Secret Gesture and by the time the hammer came down the price stood at 3.6 million guineas.

MV Magnier told www.tattersalls.com: "He has the pedigree, he ticks all the right boxes, he is by Galileo out of a Danehill mare - let's hope he has an engine. Galileo, of course, speaks for himself, but you 'd never think you'd have to go that far.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/8964082/magnier-shatters-european-record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

SRFC wrote: »
    Pocket change to the coolmore boys not even a drop in the ocean to them spending a few million on this colt.

Do you know someone who works in the accounts department in Coolmore that gave you solid info that they can afford to spend a few million on a colt? :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Do you know someone who works in the accounts department in Coolmore that gave you solid info that they can afford to spend a few million on a colt? :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Out of my net Hucklebuck :pac: you seem to fuming following me around the forum,You need a chat or anything mate? Henry put you onto a few losers?

Snaafi Dancer was $10.2 around 83/84, he never ran as he was a sham and was infertile.

To put it in perspective applying 5% compound interest that works out at $44,000,000 in todays money.

SRFC wrote: »
    Out of my net Hucklebuck :pac: you seem to fuming following me around the forum,You need a chat or anything mate? Henry put you onto a few losers?

Lol, your net. You sure it was me who was getting tips off Henry :pac::pac:

slaneylad wrote: »
    John Magnier broke European record today. 3.6 million guineas

He was involved in a bidding war with David Redvers and then Sheikh Fahad for a Galileo full-brother to Secret Gesture and by the time the hammer came down the price stood at 3.6 million guineas.

MV Magnier told www.tattersalls.com: "He has the pedigree, he ticks all the right boxes, he is by Galileo out of a Danehill mare - let's hope he has an engine. Galileo, of course, speaks for himself, but you 'd never think you'd have to go that far.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/8964082/magnier-shatters-european-record
    It says Guineas which would be £1.05 sterling = £3.78 million = €4.478 million. Methinks these Coolmore dudes splashing the cash either know that there's some crazy inflationary currency instability coming or else they've lost the plot.

That is a crazy price for a horse who's a brother to a decent but not spectacular performer. The dam is a half sister to Arc winner Sagamix and Arc third Sagacity, but the pedigree of the colt himself is fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

tryfix wrote: »
    It says Guineas which would be £1.05 sterling = £3.78 million = €4.478 million. Methinks these Coolmore dudes splashing the cash either know that there's some crazy inflationary currency instability coming or else they've lost the plot.

That is a crazy price for a horse who's a brother to a decent but not spectacular performer. The dam is a half sister to Arc winner Sagamix and Arc third Sagacity, but the pedigree of the colt himself is fast enough.

That's all well and good but you seem to be forgetting the purchaser also owns the sire of the yearling in question...

That's all well and good but you seem to be forgetting the purchaser also owns the sire of the yearling in question...

Good point, they've a vested interest in hyping the sales prospects of the Galileo sire line, seeing as they have Magician and Ruler Of The World to go to stud with.

They could have let the underbidder have the colt and they'd still have had the hype.

Sister to Was just went for 5 million guineas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Have been watching the sales and all I can say is that there is no recession in the horse world infact they live in a world of non tax payers.Friends went over to buy lot 174 a Kodiac colt were going to pay 80k max went for 170k.She was bought by Al Shaqeb whoever he is.It seems he has now bought about 10 horses so far and they will go to A.Fabre in France.Coolmore could not live with guy .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

UrbanSea wrote: »

Mandore Internation are after spending serious ££££££ so far.

Were Coolmore chasing the sister too? Edit - Yes.

• Advertisement

sting60 wrote: »
    Have been watching the sales and all I can say is that there is no recession in the horse world infact they live in a world of non tax payers.Friends went over to buy lot 174 a Kodiac colt were going to pay 80k max went for 170k.She was bought by Al Shaqeb whoever he is.It seems he has now bought about 10 horses so far and they will go to A.Fabre in France.Coolmore could not live with guy .
    Lot 253; b f Galileo - Alluring Park; 5 million guineas.
    It's a world record for a yearling filly sold at auction as Nicolas de Watrigant of Mandore International, acting on behalf of Sheikh Joaan al Thani's Al Shaqab Racing, sees off John Magnier for Lodge Park Stud's homebred sister to Oaks heroine Was.

She is the third yearling out of the Listed-placed Alluring Park to sell for over a million following Was, who topped the 2010 sale at 1.2 million gns, and Al Jassasiyah, who was last year's dearest filly when also selling to Mandore for 1.5 million gns. She is set to join Andre Fabre in France.
    "How can you quantify her beauty?" said de Watrigant. "She's magnificent. You know, you see her walking in the ring among the others and she's different. We didn't expect to have to go so far but she has everything going for her.

"We bought the sister [Al Jassasiyah] here last year and we think she's special and so we didn't want to miss this one."

http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/blog/bloodstock/tatts-book-1-live/tatts-october-book-1-day-two-as-it-happens/1543582/

That Al Jassasiyah hasn't made an appearance yet? I suppose with the New Approach connection they're hoping to establish a top band of broodmares.

Strange for Magnier to be willing to go so high for an unproven filly when they've already got her oaks winning full sister at home to breed from.

Nice little story about New Approach on the link below.
    When the colt walked into the Goffs sale ring in October 2006, she had produced seven winners, including champion Dazzling Park, Group 1-winning Japanese sprinter Shinko Forest, and the stakes-placed pair Tycoon King and Alluring Park.

"She would always get them with plenty of size and scope, and New Approach has a tremendous action," Burns says. "Tattersalls had had a couple of good ones out of the mare from me, but I'd done well at Goffs the year before with an Alhaarth colt from the same family, and so when Matt Mitchell asked me to give them something good, I decided to send New Approach.

"But I was amazed he didn't top the sale. I suppose being by a Coolmore stallion meant that there wasn't any action from the Arabs on him, and maybe the mare's age put some people off. As everyone knows, when Jim Bolger bought him, I retained half, which I sold to Sheikh Mohammed last year."

New Approach is the final foal out of Park Express, who began going blind five years before foaling the colt. By the time New Approach was born, circumstances required him to wear a light, leather strap with a bell on it so that she could distinguish his whereabouts.

BURNS says: "The mare lived in a field of 31 cattle, and when she started going blind we decided to let nature take its course and leave her with a bullock that she had become attached to. We could do anything with her because she knew our voices.

"My feeling is that New Approach may have become more of a bully because he was reared around just his mother and the bullock.
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Bully+for+the+son+of+a+blind+mare+who+ran+riot+in+the+Derby%3b+GRASS...-a0180052896

Advertisement