Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dixiechick88

Bonnie Tyler just added...I can just picture the arm waving to "total eclipse of the heart"...fantastic!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dixiechick88

I am in excitement overload over bonnie tyler!!!! LEGEND!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

I NEED A HERO..
    Strange they left it so late for such a big announcement.
    I'm guessing they were going to use this to push ticket sales!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Absolutely delighted with Bonnie Tyler being added - what an 80s icon!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Whats the talk about Bonnie Tyler I don't see a mention in the EP Facebook or website, can anyone provide a link to this.

https://powerballads.ie/line-up

Now you know where not to be between 7 and 8 on Saturday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

https://powerballads.ie/line-up

Now you know where not to be between 7 and 8 on Saturday night

What stage is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well thats an odd choice for EP but at least Bonnie Tyler isn't Amanda Brunker eh!

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

What stage is that?

presume it's the ElectricIreland nonsense that Mr.Motivator was in last year? seems way too small for the crowd that will probably turn up though...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

What stage is that?

Sounds like Electric Ireland will have their own area somewhere.

Looks like there will be a good few layout changes from 2013 with Trailer Park moving out into the "Late Night Arena" and some new Body and Soul installations......could be interesting......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

rebelreded wrote: »
    Sounds like Electric Ireland will have their own area somewhere.

Looks like there will be a good few layout changes from 2013 with Trailer Park moving out into the "Late Night Arena" and some new Body and Soul installations......could be interesting......

Source?? Have you seen a map?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea can see the Electric Ireland place being in a tent or a marquee type of thng this year. Can def see Bonnie attracting a massive crowd and if there is no serious clashes i shall be there for the laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Have Electric Picnic/Festival Republic communicated anything about an expanded site for the extra 6,000 people this year?

Whatever about the camping space... 41,000 people this year would mean more queues and delays at entrances, toilets, food stalls, etc. I really hope they invest the extra revenue to ensure things run smoothly. My gut feeling is they won't invest properly but I hope I am wrong.

It seems to be the ways things are going, in the UK, Glastonbury have increased capacity without any major exapansion to the site. Boomtown fair which just finished and by many accounts was far too full, a site which catered 6,000 a few years ago had 35,000 last weekend.

There's a lot of things that have been done before, such as another entrance from oscar wilde straight into the arena at the salty dog.
    The campsite used be bigger too, there was a chaplin campsite before with the campers in an other field.

ep2009camping3.jpg

The thing about crowds at festivals especially EP is the more meh people are about the lineup the less likely they are going to be gathered in a big bunch in tents watching acts and the more likely they are just going to be arsing around outside making it feel busier than it should be. I certainly noticed it last year , very few occasions were the tents jammed.

Just spotted this in the EP Facebook feed, folk were asking earlier about the ban on sound systems at the camp site, well EP seem to be clear here that its not just aimed at PA systems.

Jeff Cropdale: do sound systems include a cd player? I read on boards they are fine to bring?

EP: No sound systems/cd players are permitted at all in the campsites

How the hell are they going to enforce that, what if every third person brings a CD player or Ipod dock, that will be some delay in the queuing to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Just spotted this in the Facebook feed, folk were asking earlier about the ban on sound systems at the camp site, well EP seem to be clear here that its not just aimed at PA systems.

Jeff Cropdale: do sound systems include a cd player? I read on boards they are fine to bring?

EP: No sound systems/cd players are permitted at all in the campsites

How the hell are they going to enforce that, what if every third person brings a CD player or Ipod dock, that will be some delay in the queuing to get in.

I wouldn't worry about docking stations and cd players to be honest. They just don't want people setting up their own little DIY gigs and having it go on till all hours of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

Should be a ban on acoustic guitars as well

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

Is it time to give up hope on some big electronic acts/DJ's being added?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭PaddyPooHead

murdog! wrote: »

There mightn't be a Prodigy or an Aphex Twin but there's a lot of very good ones there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Toast

lbj666 wrote: »
    It seems to be the ways things are going, in the UK, Glastonbury have increased capacity without any major exapansion to the site.

There has been a massive increase in space in Glastonbury with the Worthy View camping taking something like 10,000 people out of the regular campsite. They're also always moving and juggling bits around to accommodate extra people. Occasionally they get it wrong (like the Arcadia placement this year) but it never feels like they're not trying and just jamming as many people in as they can. Hopefully EP will be making an effort and not just hoping it will sort itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Toast wrote: »
    There has been a massive increase in space in Glastonbury with the Worthy View camping taking something like 10,000 people out of the regular campsite. They're also always moving and juggling bits around to accommodate extra people. Occasionally they get it wrong (like the Arcadia placement this year) but it never feels like they're not trying and just jamming as many people in as they can. Hopefully EP will be making an effort and not just hoping it will sort itself out.

Glastonbury have a huge budget though, and it has a different philosophy to must other big festivals.

On another note, I hope "weather guru" Ken Ring is right again this year.
    “Summer is expected to be sunnier and warmer than average, but there may be a lack of high daytime temperatures, especially during August,” he said.

The most settled periods of summer are during the last 10 days of each month of the season. In particular, the last weeks of June and July may be significantly dry, warm, bright and sunny.

“June is a mild month with scattered days of early warmth until some hot days in the third week and then a sunny last week, during which time thermometers may soar.

“Temperatures are fairly constantly in the 20s after the 19th July, with the final three or four days in July possibly among the hottest for the season.

“August temperatures may be mostly in the 20s, but cloud and intermittent rain make it disappointing for outdoor activities.”

“After January, the most precipitation for the may be November, followed by October, with September likely to be the driest.”

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Source?? Have you seen a map?

No map but various sources like Jerry Fish announcing that they will be moving into the late night arena and Body and Soul mentioning a few new bits and pieces.

I don't imagine that it will be radically altered, just a few tweaks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

You don't add 6000 people and do nothing with the space.
    EP aren't amateurs and I'm positive that this won't be as bad as people think it will be. Noticeable I'm sure as 6000 people always is but I'm hopeful it'll be well spread.
    Anyway 6k is an odd number? I'm sure they've worked they out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 robk84

Anyone know how far the campervan site is from the main arena? Is it much longer of a walk than say from Oscar Wilde to the main arena via Salty Dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Glastonbury have a huge budget though, and it has a different philosophy to must other big festivals.

On another note, I hope "weather guru" Ken Ring is right again this year.

It's a pity so that EP falls entirely within August, I hope he is wrong with his Aug forecast.
    “August temperatures may be mostly in the 20s, but cloud and intermittent rain make it disappointing for outdoor activities"

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

Looking at the line-up on that power ballads link says there's a Power Ballad DJ set from 2 to 7pm.

Would this be an indication of a fuller Friday line-up compared to last year or just wishful thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

murdog! wrote: »

They're still booking acts for trailer park & salty dog, friends band got booked late last week! Lax enough lads but x4 weeks notice booking for them is pretty short notice, even by their standards.
    I assume with all other bookings the wheels are well in motion, might just be fine tuning contracts before announcing.

With regards the extra capacity, any one know how many day tickets would have been sold? I presume this is reduced this year and extra tickets allocated to full weekend?
    I feel the camp sites can cope there's plenty of fields around Hendrix/Warhol. (They may even push the camper vans out further!, or relocate them to the other side of the arena possibly near the bus stop or one of the parking fields) I'm assuming extra toilets and food/breakfast stalls will be provided!
    Phone charging will be under huge pressure, it's a special large artic trailer usually, capacity can't easily be increased, even last year I went to leave mine in a few times and they were full.

The capacity of the main arena will be a tough one, it's surrounded by trees so hard to increase space. Last year was completely packed on Sunday, that + 6k will be cramped alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

civilnug wrote: »
    Looking at the line-up on that power ballads link says there's a Power Ballad DJ set from 2 to 7pm.

Would this be an indication of a fuller Friday line-up compared to last year or just wishful thinking?

A power ballad dj set would suggest a fuller Friday in a cheap & cheerful sort of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

Was just thinking it would mean the main arena is open at 2pm which might bode well for other stages to be up and running at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

paulbok wrote: »
    It's a pity so that EP falls entirely within August, I hope he is wrong with his Aug forecast.
    “August temperatures may be mostly in the 20s, but cloud and intermittent rain make it disappointing for outdoor activities"

I'm going with this bit though! ;)"The most settled periods of summer are during the last 10 days of each month of the season."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

robk84 wrote: »
    Anyone know how far the campervan site is from the main arena? Is it much longer of a walk than say from Oscar Wilde to the main arena via Salty Dog?

Oscar Wilde and Salty Dog are right beside the arena. The campervan is out a fair distance. You go past the OW campsite, and the one behind it, and the Campervan is behind them.
    civilnug wrote: »

The queen of the power ballad has just been announced today - and for the life of me cannot remember her name. 80s superstar, aagghhh, damn annoying.

EDIT: Bonnie Tyler

• Advertisement

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Oscar Wilde and Salty Dog are right beside the arena. The campervan is out a fair distance. You go past the OW campsite, and the one behind it, and the Campervan is behind them.

The queen of the power ballad has just been announced today - and for the life of me cannot remember her name. 80s superstar, aagghhh, damn annoying.

EDIT: Bonnie Tyler

Would've loved if they booked Kim Carnes too, Bette Davis Eyes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement