Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasterer mixed autumn leaves in the mix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

Well its the best I've heard yet! He doesn't deserve to be called a plasterer, he's just about qualified enough to handle a kango to pick it all off again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Exercise take a close up photo that doesn't give your house identity away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

This is the best image I have for now, a cropped photo

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

exercise wrote: »
    This is the best image I have for now, a cropped photo

Off topic, but that unsecured ladder should not be left against a single planked scaffold!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

It will be very upsetting and hurtfull for a while, but believe me if you attempt to kqngo that plaster off the house you will feel a hole lot worse, as it will never look right.

Paint is your only friend now, imo.

also part company with that plaster, the relationship is over, thank him for his work and pay him some not all of the money. be kind but ferm.

He defo would have noticed the leaves imo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Worriedmind

Fosroc do a concrete repair product called Renderoc. Give them a shout, explain the problem and see if they can recommend a suitable product for repair. This will thicken the overall render but may be a good compromise for all involved.

If Fosroc can recommend a suitable product then you need to relieve your plasterer of his duties and of course agree wuth him that he ponies up for the remedial works costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭ravendude

Surely you have an engineer overseeing the build. - to sign off that it complies with building regulations etc etc?
    If not, - you should and would be advised to get one.

You can then tell the plasterer that the engineer won't sign off etc. etc. and it needs to be rectified.

leaves in wall close up

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

he didnt notice that until after it had dried?
    sure some of them are hanging out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

dont like laying into someones working practice without knowing the full facts.

when he was rubbing up the plaster he would of seen the leaves and should of picked them out easily.
    same for when he was applying the mix he would of seen the leaves and told the laborers to make sure to clean the top off the sand.
    same for the laborers , should of knew better.

hard to say if its just in one area or throughout?
    if throughout then there is little excuse.

my advice is to ignore the comments about kangoing the render off.
    that will only make a mess and cost a fortune.
    it cant be patched as that will look worse!

i would get some professional advice and be aiming to live with it.

id call the plasterer again , hard to believe he wouldnt of picked them out when rubbing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

The plastering looks very tasty except for the leaves which really let this guy down with a bang. I wouldn't panic just yet. Have a little chat with him on how he could fix this issue without kango hammer before going for legal advice. It can surly be rectified. There are also sealers you can put on before painting so these will help paint peeling and bubbling which can happen on the best plastering job. If you have not paid him the ball is in your court. I would be getting him to repair the job and carry on with the inside as you have said the work is very good. Otherwise just get rid of him without paying him at all as somebody else is going to fleece you to fix this so you are going to need extra cash to rectify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've deleted a number of unhelpful and ridiculous posts. If you can't help the OP address the issue then don't bother posting. Thanks.

Believe they are all over the front and side walls of the house, There are some leaves in every square meter, :eek: The plasterer has not been around for a few days now, he should be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I've deleted a number of unhelpful and ridiculous posts. If you can't help the OP address the issue then don't bother posting. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv-4f_rvqsA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

4Sticks wrote: »

One week ban. Don't do it when you come back. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

The plastering looks very tasty except for the leaves which really let this guy down with a bang. I wouldn't panic just yet. Have a little chat with him on how he could fix this issue without kango hammer before going for legal advice. It can surly be rectified. There are also sealers you can put on before painting so these will help paint peeling and bubbling which can happen on the best plastering job. If you have not paid him the ball is in your court. I would be getting him to repair the job and carry on with the inside as you have said the work is very good. Otherwise just get rid of him without paying him at all as somebody else is going to fleece you to fix this so you are going to need extra cash to rectify it.
    tasty my hole. either some people have never actually seen a good plasterers work. that finish is rough as f*uck. you shouldnt see any pattern from the float rubbing, the face of the bands are not square( you cant get them square using beads ) a good plasterer uses laths. and the plinth line is rough as hell. aside from the leaves. you people are having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

fozz10 wrote: »
    tasty my hole. either some people have never actually seen a good plasterers work. that finish is rough as f*uck. you shouldnt see any pattern from the float rubbing, the face of the bands are not square( you cant get them square using beads ) a good plasterer uses laths. and the plinth line is rough as hell. aside from the leaves. you people are having a laugh.

+1 , looks fairly rough im afraid from your pics

Ok decision has been made, after chatting with the plasterer, we are going to let the plasterer finish the job, and put up with his mistake, what's done is done, can't change that, only time will tell if the leaves are going to be a problem within the plaster wall, as for the appearance long term weather exposure should sort that, it's not an ideal situation, but what can one do.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

Of course u are. He's probably been at it years and wasn't letting the inside of a house go in the current construction situation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Ok decision has been made, after chatting with the plasterer, we are going to let the plasterer finish the job, and put up with his mistake, what's done is done, can't change that, only time will tell if the leaves are going to be a problem within the plaster wall, as for the appearance long term weather exposure should sort that, it's not an ideal situation, but what can one do.
    Madness!!

The only time you should leave that man in your front door again is when he is asking to plug in he's extension lead for he's kango hammer.

Don't give him a bob, the fact he's willing to look for payment for that job tells you all you need to know about he's standards. And then to try and say he's labourer should have spotted it.

Tell him climb back on he's horse and out of your yard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Dupont

Madness!!

And then to try and say he's labourer should have spotted it.

Tell him climb back on he's horse and out of your yard!

Where does he say that???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The plasterer seems to think it is not an issue, he said it's just one of those things, he did not mix the mixes for the house walls, his labourers mix all the mixes , they did not attempt to take out the leaves from the sand before shoveling it into the mixer.

Here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 onemoredead

"just not good enough"

make tear down every thing at his expense AND RE DO ALL AGAIN!!

or sue, for price of re doing all again and "a real plaster doing the work"

i thought all the cowboys, had left ireland, as work dried up, for the cowboy lads!!

best of luck with what every you do!!

as, a builder!! leaves will rot and keep staining the wall and destroy your wall in the long term!!

but, sort of your fault as sand, "should of being covered or buy fresh new sand!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

The leaves will eventually rot and fall out leaving a spot for the rain to sit and get behind the plaster , which will blow off at some stage .
    Fair enough if you want to let him finish the job , but it wouldnt be a big ask for you to get him to chisel out the small patches where the the leaves are showing through and patch them up .
    If they are filled in ,trowelled and blended into the wall they shouldnt show up at all after its painted .
    If I was your plasterer I wouldnt need to be asked because I would assume you wouldnt be paying for a mistake I made , so would be pretty quick to rectify the problem .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

As moy83 said the leaves will rot out /stain the wall and leave voids that will fill with moisture. freeze and blow your plaster from the wall..in the trade we call somebody who would do this type of effort "a pick me up " hes worked around construction at the lower end probly but he aint a plasterer..i personally could cut out and feather in where the leaves were (ffs we shouldnt be even having this discussion)and you wouldnt ever see the patch..but your donkey couldnt i bet..how you would go on an let this cretin INSIDE your house after his breech of trust is beyond me..how you need to approach this is to ask a qualified plasterer to meet with with you and this pick me up.and discuss hows and whys and building conduct etc..he knowingly used contaminated products ..he is supposed to be on YOUR side..and as a plasterer its beyond me how you would continue to entertain this waster on your multi thousand euro family home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Maudi wrote: »
    As someone said the leaves will rot out /stain the wall and leave voids that will fill with moisture. freeze and blow your plaster from the wall..in the trade we call somebody who would do this type of effort "a pick me up " hes worked around construction at the lower end probly but he aint a plasterer..i personally could cut out and feather in where the leaves were (ffs we shouldnt be even having this discussion)and you wouldnt ever see the patch..but your donkey couldnt i bet..how you would go on an let this cretin INSIDE your house after his breech of trust is beyond me..how you need to approach this is to ask a qualified plasterer to meet with with you and this pick me up.and discuss hows and whys and building conduct etc..he knowingly used contaminated products ..he is supposed to be on YOUR side..and as a plasterer its beyond me how you would continue to entertain this waster on your multi thousand euro family home

Maudi would you honestly sit down to go through the do's and don't s with a rough plasterer ?
    It irks me that there are still rough lads getting work because they can do it a few days quicker but I dont think Id be able to talk them into ever leaving it any better !
    This fellas snotty bellcast and dirty window and cill should be enough to to earn him his marching papers not to mention the leaves in the wall .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

moy83 wrote: »
    Maudi would you honestly sit down to go through the do's and don't s with a rough plasterer ?
    It irks me that there are still rough lads getting work because they can do it a few days quicker but I dont think Id be able to talk them into ever leaving it any better !
    This fellas snotty bellcast and dirty window and cill should be enough to to earn him his marching papers not to mention the leaves in the wall .

Yea your probly right..a pick me up that would do this type of crap is beyond talking to..but he has obviously sweet talked /hood winked the op into giving him another "go" at the inside..id like to stand there all the same with the owner and let this donkey explain how he thought this rubbish work would be acceptable..

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

During the celtic tiger there was a lot of this type of work being carried out by fellas who were "cheap" and "would do you a good deal for cash".
    I saw all kinds of bad mixes in my time with fairy liquid, dog poop, old hard cement being put in a mixer put I could never imagine any labourer getting away with putting a couple of thousand leaves in a mixer. The plasterer should be on an ad for specsavers if he didn't see them !

Maudi wrote: »
    As moy83 said the leaves will rot out /stain the wall and leave voids that will fill with moisture. freeze and blow your plaster from the wall..in the trade we call somebody who would do this type of effort "a pick me up " hes worked around construction at the lower end probly but he aint a plasterer..i personally could cut out and feather in where the leaves were (ffs we shouldnt be even having this discussion)and you wouldnt ever see the patch..but your donkey couldnt i bet..how you would go on an let this cretin INSIDE your house after his breech of trust is beyond me..how you need to approach this is to ask a qualified plasterer to meet with with you and this pick me up.and discuss hows and whys and building conduct etc..he knowingly used contaminated products ..he is supposed to be on YOUR side..and as a plasterer its beyond me how you would continue to entertain this waster on your multi thousand euro family home

Hello Maudie, I'm interested in your patching work, can we have a chat on the phone, some day please, send me your phone number via private message, we can start from their.

• Advertisement

Update plaster sent letter, demanding full payment, or he will contact solicitor, he has all ready got'en half of the full payment,

Advertisement