Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭overshoot

He's not. Our half backs are outstanding to a man.

I don't think he'd have any impact on our squad whatsoever and I'd rather bring through a minor.

Not on the first team, his primary position is 6, his won't be usurping a fit Karl lacey.
    Thompson is probably underrated compared to his compatriots and the more vunrable...not thrilled but he could make the match day squad.

I would not be favouring these kind of transfers tho. If he had moved to letterkenny for example, grand that's work ir whatever, its life in an amateur game, but its about 5 miles from kinlough to bundoran

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Redsoxfan wrote: »

It does, but to be fair, it was a one off incident when he was very young. Not excusing the behaviour at all but I'm sure he's learned his lesson.

I really don't think he'd even make the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

That was 7 years ago in fairness. Its not like its been a recurring thing in recent years has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

And some of our own home-grown fellas aren't exactly angels either.....

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    That was 7 years ago in fairness. Its not like its been a recurring thing in recent years has it?

I have no idea. I have been asking a few different people about the guy but information is hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

overshoot wrote: »
    Not on the first team, his primary position is 6, his won't be usurping a fit Karl lacey.
    Thompson is probably underrated compared to his compatriots and the more vunrable...not thrilled but he could make the match day squad.

I would not be favouring these kind of transfers tho. If he had moved to letterkenny for example, grand that's work ir whatever, its life in an amateur game, but its about 5 miles from kinlough to bundoran
    It's actually less than two miles from Kinlough to Bundoran.....Emlyn Mulligan was from Bundoran originally afaik!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

When Thompson first got his place, to my shame I didn`t rate him at all and said so. Over the years not only has he grown on me, but last year, and particulary this year, I thought him amongst our top performers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

That's risky business when the B side of the qualifiers is so tough

If you lose to Tyrone then you will have to play four qulaifer games in fairly quick succession against four of the following
    Derry, Down, Armagh, Tyrone, Mayo, Galway, Leitrim, Waterford, Tipp, Kerry, Louth, Westmeat, Wexford, Meath.

And if you get through that you play the Connaught or Ulster champion in the quarterfinal.

Now you could be lucky and get the dross of the list above, but equally you could end up playing the Ulster teams you were hoping to avoid, or one of Mayo or Galway
    I'm not sure but Tyrone may also be a possible fixture later in the qualifiers

Winning the province is vitally important to All Ireland contenders, it helps you plan and prepare and ensures that you avoid the other big guns in the QF

What a f***ing joke this new qualifirs system is. Cork and Galway got to qf last year by beatin Sligo and Tipperary. By the looks of next years draw Donegal will be playin the same Ulster teams til Christmas to get that far in or out of the province!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

harpsman wrote: »
    What a f***ing joke this new qualifirs system is. Cork and Galway got to qf last year by beatin Sligo and Tipperary. By the looks of next years draw Donegal will be playin the same Ulster teams til Christmas to get that far in or out of the province!

Yep, two years on the trot now it has come out completely lopsided

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

13 new faces (well, 12 + Gary McFadden) on the panel ahead of the Kenna cup. Wouldn't give much weight to it most will be gone after it anyway. Good to see new faces in for a while though if only to give some new players some exposure and who knows they might step up and give Rory a headache.

Thing to take from that is Big Neil and Karl getting an extended break. Karl looked absolutely dead on his feet at times last year although his influence remains absolutely critical. More than happy to even see him written off for the league with a view to coming in towards the tail end and ready for the summer.

Oh, and Mark McHughs back.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/rory-gallagher-adds-13-newcomers-4857872

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Oh, and Mark McHughs back.

Not surprised at this in itself but I'm quite surprised at the lack of any real mention of it in the reports on the squad, other than as a side note! Great to have him back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭rrs

Timmyctc wrote: »

He got a 3 month this year during the Club Championship too, the main reason for his switch it appears to Bundoran

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Not surprised at this in itself but I'm quite surprised at the lack of any real mention of it in the reports on the squad, other than as a side note! Great to have him back anyway.

In fairness he announced it months ago that he would play again this year. Just the routine now of calling him up.

I'm sure there will be a few pieces on the McHugh brothers and isn't eoin their cousin?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

In fairness he announced it months ago that he would play again this year. Just the routine now of calling him up.

I'm sure there will be a few pieces on the McHugh brothers and isn't eoin their cousin?

Yeah, first cousin and a son of Jame`s as fair as I know. Saw him in Peile Na Gaeltachta final this year. Scored a cracker of a goal, and looked very sharp. Like the rest of the clan, plenty of running and ghosts into good positions.

Would like to see Eoin McHugh get a run during the McKenna Cup and even the League to see if he's up to it at the highest level. Like what I have seen and heard at club level, but that's only an indicator. That Gaeltacht Final was a cakewalk for Kilcar.

Biggest question is, I suppose, how many of those not in the squad will return for the League? No public indication that anyone is dropping out, but plenty of rumours. As there were last year I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

No scores from play as of yet from Tír Chonaill at half time in the McKenna Cup.

Derry 1-5, Donegal 5pts. converting 5 out of 19 shots, Derry 6 from 10

Donegal Gaa Results and Updates are great on Facebook, they get to a few games themselves and retweet (linked to fb) alan foley, chris mcnulty.
    McElhinney (c) and Dermot Molloy are the only starters who would have played in the AI final. Mark McHugh starting also. Full team here

edit: didnt read that right... none from play... thought you were asking the score!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

Bit of a massacre going on. Still, they're only lads, so I suppose the experience will prove valuable, if nothing else.

#roryout

• Advertisement

No scores from play as of yet from Tír Chonaill at half time in the McKenna Cup.

Didn't Willie Gillespie get one early on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

#roryout
    I wonder how long it will take for some to start genuinely coming out with this......

I wonder how long it will take for some to start genuinely coming out with this......
    given we generally had poor mckenna cups/leagues under McGuinness with what appeared rather questionable tactics on the field... hopefully the end of the season even if it does go wrong! given our route through ulster, not defending our title wouldnt be the end of the world.
    going to be a few bigger names moving to the bench as opposed to starter come championship time, so we will have to see how that goes down too.

In fairness for all the comments of donegal as an aging team, i dont think we are badly set this year... altho we will need defenders to start stepping up

Durcan (30) mcGinley (24) Boyle (28)

E McGee (30) N McGee (29) McGrath (25) Brennan :pac: doherty (24) Parke (21)

Thompson (28) Lacey (30) McGlynn (29), Walsh (26) E McHugh (19)

McNiallais (22) Gallagher (32) McElhinney (26) Kavanagh (32)

M Mchugh (24), L mcLoone (26), R McHugh (20), Toye (31)

O'Connor (19), Murphy (25), McBrearty (21), McFadden (32), Molloy (25)

Obviously hopes for more minors than mchugh, just trying to use a few from the todays team sheet and the established panel.. eoin gallagher, lorcan connor, mcbrearty for starters but time will tell

A few ages guessed there too but should be close enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Anyone know anything about the rumours that Leo McLoone and Anthony Thompson have left the squad?

overshoot wrote:
    given our route through ulster, not defending our title wouldnt be the end of the world. going to be a few bigger names moving to the bench as opposed to starter come championship time, so we will have to see how that goes down too.

The side of the Qualifiers we end up on is not favourable. Assuming we get most players back, we shouldn't fear anyone in Ulster at this point. McGuinness left us in great stead, unlike the side he inherited, which was at a low ebb.

If everyone makes themselves available and is fit, I don't feel our starting 15 should change dramatically from last year. McFadden is perhaps the only one I would say should feel threatened.

We have four league games at home and we should be capable of winning at least three of them as they are against the weaker teams in the division. Relegation wouldn't be the end of the world by any means but it wouldn't be a good start.

overshoot wrote:
    In fairness for all the comments of donegal as an aging team, i dont think we are badly set this year... altho we will need defenders to start stepping up

Kerry last year are a perfect example of why it shouldn't be an issue for us as long as the players themselves buy in.

Anyone know anything about the rumours that Leo McLoone and Anthony Thompson have left the squad?

Thompson is working in London and unable to commit to training at this point. McLoone is taking some time out, as is Rory Kavanagh. This was publicly stated by Rory. They are all wanted back. I woud be concerned that we might not see the latter two playing this year.

Luke Keaney is off on his travels so he won't be available at least for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Didn't Willie Gillespie get one early on?

He did. Highland Radio either got it wrong or I need to clean my ears out. No real stand out performances from the newbs from what I could make out but the next few games might reveal something when they get comfortable with wearing the colours.

Thompson is working in London and unable to commit to training at this point. McLoone is taking some time out, as is Rory Kavanagh. This was publicly stated by Rory. They are all wanted back. I woud be concerned that we might not see the latter two playing this year.

Luke Keaney is off on his travels so he won't be available at least for the moment.
    didnt know about Thompson or McLoone, both would be big losses if they didnt return.
    I had heard kavanagh was going to finish up after last year and couldnt commit with his young kid (hard to blame him) but thought after no word he may have changed his mind.
    wouldnt put keaney on the level of the 4 midfielders i mentioned earlier, not too worried there.

on performances from the newbies, while i get going with such a team giving the training ban, its unfair to expect too much given the step up to senior level. You really do need a few experienced heads in there to help them along in their development

• Advertisement

so after praising donegal updates on facebook they clearly read boards....

next headline: players facing long bans after going on the lash at Papa's wedding last weekend :v

Advertisement