Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

yea seems to be the jist of it, ref was informing players etc i noticed harps said on their facebook page, 'not all our players knew' so plenty did think they were losing.

it completely changed the type of game though and who was defending/pressing for the last score. always thought the refs score was final, would think a replay was the only fair way to do it. Would have major repercussions going forward if precedent was set to change a result on review, think that Louth/Meath Leinster final as the highest profile one (edit or the last derry final that players are now getting year long bans from)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dgl1992

So Glenties have appealed the decision of the ulster hearings committee to Croke Park. St. Eunans are the champions in Donegal and should be left in peace to prepare for Sundays game versus Fermanagh champions Roslea.

From what I've heard, the Black Card had no reason to be rescinded.

Just seeing this point today. Probably should have read the thread more carefully! The black card given to Ciaran Bonner was not warranted at all. The collision was an accidental one and not deliberate. In order for a collision between players to be a cynical behaviour foul then the contact must be deliberate.

This matter is dragging on and on and at this stage is beyond ridiculous.

St. Eunans play Roslea in the ulster club this Sunday at 2.30 in O'Donnell park. Im looking forward to this game. Its Eunans first home draw in Ulster club in as long as i can remember. On their home patch they should have too much for Roslea.

I watched them against Glenswilly in last years Ulster Semi final and they were very one dimensional. Only tactic was lump high ball in on top of the Quigleys. Rumours that Sean Quigley definitely wont start suggest they wont have the fire power to down Eunans. Only caveat for Eunans is that last year Roslea were managed by Peter McGinnity. He was an old school manager fond of the man v man approach.

Mark Harte is a different character altogether. He may have a few tricks up his sleeve!

Hope all Gaels in Donegal get out and support the Donegal champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

So Croke Park have accepted Naomh Conaill's appeal and so now Ulster Council will actually hear it.

No clue where this goes next if Ulster decide in Naomh Conaill's favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    So Croke Park have accepted Naomh Conaill's appeal and so now Ulster Council will actually hear it.

No clue where this goes next if Ulster deciede in Naomh Conaill's favour.

Has there been any word of when the UC will meet on this? Will tomorrow's game go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Hadn't heard anything since the croke park decision.

I'd be surprised if it was overturned. It's a referee's mistake and there's nothing in the rulebook about overturning a result.

Yeah the UHC have to hear the appeal of the Donegal CCC decision now. Some folks on Facebook and twitter saying appeal against result was successful. THAT IS NOT THE CASE.

As poster above states there is nothing in the rule book to force a replay. A referees error cannot lead to a replay.

There was a good piece in yesterdays Irish Times which referenced a case that went to the DRA and involved an error made by a referee. Sorry i cant get a link but it should still be up there and it explains the position pretty well

RMDrive wrote: »
    Has there been any word of when the UC will meet on this? Will tomorrow's game go ahead?

Think they meet tonight. Danny Murphy from Ulster Council has said tomorrows game goes ahead and the winners of tomorrows game will be in the Ulster Semi final.

As far as I am aware, there will be no results overturned, no replays.

• Advertisement

Fantastic by Cloughaneely - less than 24 hours after winning the Donegal Intermediate Championship, they win their first round game in Ulster against Castledawson after extra time, away from home!

Eunans had it easy enough. Omagh will be a different proposition I'm sure. Slaughneil v Clontibret in the other semi final.

Eunans had a facile victory over Roslea yesterday. They had their work done on the Quigley boys and eventually Seamus Quigley grew frustrated and roamed out the field. Conal Dunne was excellent as was their entire defence. Only conceding 6 points is fantastic.

Looking forward to next Sundays game v Omagh St.Endas. Its in Celtic park too so not too far to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Eunans county champions.

Crossmaglen out of Ulster. Big chance missed for Glenswilly.

Can I have your runners now? You'll hardly wear them again.:D

So our McKenna cup fixtures and locations are out. First up for Rory Gallagher s charges is a trip to Celtic park on the 4th of January. Then we are home to Queens on the 11th followed by a home game versus Fermanagh on Wednesday the 14th. Delighted we are at home to Fermanagh, hate the trip to Enniskillen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Would it be better for Rory to tailor training to be peaking in August, even if it means theyre not 100% against Tyrone?

That Ulster draw is so awful you could expend alot of energy and still not win it and then have nothing in the tank after that.

Might be better to be in qualifiers early if we have AI ambitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I'd rather the kitchen sink be thrown at Tyrone, firstly to setdown a psychological marker that their famine has regretfully been extended for another three years and secondly to try and win an ulster under our new chief of staff. Even if we only progressed that far, it would be a great springboard for next year and it'd give Rory a good idea what bodies could sustain an assault the following year in Drumcondra.

Any whispers at home on a backroom team yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Four masters ladies beaten last night.

At least they got a second bite of it and were beaten on the field which should be easier to take.

Eunans beaten in Ulster semi final by Omagh. You know, for a change.

Cloughaneeley beat out the gate by warrenpoint.

Eunans were second best on the day. Omagh had 4 wonderful goal opportunities but only took one. Ruled midfield until big Joe went off injured. Then Rory took over. Need to find a few more scoring forwards to compete in Ulster

In case anyone missed it, during an interview published in the Examiner last week, Paul Durcan seemed to confirm he is coming back for another year. Great news.

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    In case anyone missed it, during an interview published in the Examiner last week, Paul Durcan seemed to confirm he is coming back for another year. Great news.

Good to hear it.

That being said he had a shocker against Eunans in the QF. Seemed like his head had gone. Good break now for him though, I'm sure he'll be fine.

So Glenswilly Manager Gary McDaid is part of Rory Gallaghers backroom team. He has had fantastic success with limited resources in Glenswilly.

McKenna cup cant come around quick enough now!!

dgl1992 wrote: »
    So Glenswilly Manager Gary McDaid is part of Rory Gallaghers backroom team. He has had fantastic success with limited resources in Glenswilly.

McKenna cup cant come around quick enough now!!

He's done a great job with them for sure. They've some brilliant footballers though and should be winning the championship. I felt they left one behind them this year, no disrespect to St. Eunans.

From what I've seen of Glenswilly they are very professional in terms of their men on the line (and also taking notes in the stands) they appear to have a big emphasis on in game analysis and stats so hopefully GMcD can bring plenty to the table.

Added bonus of course in that he's hugely knowledgeable about Donegal football and football generally.

Any link to this appointment by the way? Will he stay on with Glenswilly?

Mark McHugh has attended trials for the seniors if the meeeeeeja are to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

harpsman wrote: »
    Would it be better for Rory to tailor training to be peaking in August, even if it means theyre not 100% against Tyrone?

That Ulster draw is so awful you could expend alot of energy and still not win it and then have nothing in the tank after that.

Might be better to be in qualifiers early if we have AI ambitions.

That's risky business when the B side of the qualifiers is so tough

If you lose to Tyrone then you will have to play four qulaifer games in fairly quick succession against four of the following
    Derry, Down, Armagh, Tyrone, Mayo, Galway, Leitrim, Waterford, Tipp, Kerry, Louth, Westmeat, Wexford, Meath.

And if you get through that you play the Connaught or Ulster champion in the quarterfinal.

Now you could be lucky and get the dross of the list above, but equally you could end up playing the Ulster teams you were hoping to avoid, or one of Mayo or Galway
    I'm not sure but Tyrone may also be a possible fixture later in the qualifiers

Winning the province is vitally important to All Ireland contenders, it helps you plan and prepare and ensures that you avoid the other big guns in the QF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Fair play to Termon, absolutely brilliant performance and result yesterday.

Geraldine to get called up to the men's senior panel?

Congratulations to the Termon ladies. Fantastic achievement. Geraldine McLaughlin is some woman for one woman! 3.08 in an All Ireland Final. Unbelievable Jeff!

Paul Brennan's transfer to Bundoran has gone through which would make him eligible for inter county once he plays a club championship match. Has anyone any idea if he is any better than our current stock of half backs? I wonder was this a wiley move by our new 'dear leader' Dear Santa, can we please recruit Emlyn Mulligan...I have however been a terribly behaved boy this year.

• Advertisement

Paul Brennan's transfer to Bundoran has gone through which would make him eligible for inter county once he plays a club championship match. Has anyone any idea if he is any better than our current stock of half backs? I wonder was this a wiley move by our new 'dear leader' Dear Santa, can we please recruit Emlyn Mulligan...I have however been a terribly behaved boy this year.

He's not. Our half backs are outstanding to a man.

I don't think he'd have any impact on our squad whatsoever and I'd rather bring through a minor.

Advertisement