Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭doc_17

I would think he'll be ratified this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

doc_17 wrote: »
    I would think he'll be ratified this evening.

Im not sure, think he'll be ratified but on what terms?

He will have most of south west Donegal I would have thought (with the notable exception of Glenties).

Donegal town will go with Sean Dunnion.

Wouldn't have my finger on the pulse north of the gap but you couldn't be up to those Eunans boys :p

I think the four years might be a stickler for some though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I don't like any manager who has failed to win anything in his first two years turning around and making demands like this over his terms for renewal - I'd love if we were able to tell him to politely back his bags! Sad thing is, any decent candidate seems to be either tied up already or not exactly looking to be approached. Whatever about how Rory goes tonight, please God they'll tell Maxi to hit the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I don't like any manager who has failed to win anything in his first two years turning around and making demands like this over his terms for renewal - I'd love if we were able to tell him to politely back his bags! Sad thing is, any decent candidate seems to be either tied up already or not exactly looking to be approached. Whatever about how Rory goes tonight, please God they'll tell Maxi to hit the road...

What's wrong with Maxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

The question is, what's right with him? He might be good behind the scenes, I don't know, but certainly on match day, pitch side (or more usually in the middle of the pitch), he's an embarrassment the way he carries on.

• Advertisement

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    The question is, what's right with him?

Took the words out of my mouth.

He's a clown.

Ratified for 4 more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭henke

Not good

How much for one of Christy Kinahan's lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

Anyone hear McGee on Saturday?-apparently some of the boys had so little respect for Mayo in 2012 they went for a few pints the night before the game. Dont believe it myself. Dont believe it myself-sounded like more slabbering to get some attention for his Star column. Must be a Gweedore thing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Tá siúl agam go bhfuil tú ag magadh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=261097

Rory Gallagher will continue as Donegal football manager for at least three more years.
    The Fermanagh native had requested a four year extension to his term and tonight clubs in the county agreed to a three year deal with an option for a fourth year, subject to review.
    Gallagher had indicated to the county executive that a rebuilding process is needed and it would take more than the one-year he had remaining on his 'contract'.

Three more years of the crap we have endured for the last two years. Enough to make your eyes bleed just thinking about it.

I can't process this.

I would love to see James Horan with ye. However... We can wait...

I know he'll never go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

#roryout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

harpsman wrote:
    Anyone hear McGee on Saturday?-apparently some of the boys had so little respect for Mayo in 2012 they went for a few pints the night before the game. Dont believe it myself. Dont believe it myself-sounded like more slabbering to get some attention for his Star column. Must be a Gweedore thing

Not the night before, the night after the semi final apparently. Widely discussed on the Tweet Machine.

He does seem to be courting (more) attention at the moment.

Even said he thought Rory was the right man for the job...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Disgraceful decision by the County Board and the easy option. Horan is the man for the job and they should just make it happen.

I wish Rory the best but lets be honest here, he loss two Ulster Finals we should have won, he gave Dublin a walk over in a National League Semi-final and actually said it afterwards and he threw away the chance of getting to a AI this year. On top of that, we could have beaten the Dubs this year if we had started to play football when they went down to 14 men with 10 minutes to go.

The decision is amazing, but he must be a great salesman has he's a damn average manager.

I don't think I can go to anymore games and watch this style of football.

It's a real pity as we have some of the best players in the country at the moment and we are throwing it away.

• Advertisement

Just hope Horan takes it after him.

I would love to know what way the clubs voted individually you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

RE Horan

As long as that core group of Mayo players from his time in charge are still playing for Mayo he won't take any other county job. I asked him myself when I met him out last week. But he said he's open to any other county when the time is right.

---

As for Rory, it's a difficult one to accept. But accept it we must. We've a mighty panel of players, who support him, and who are still capable of winning Ulster and beyond. We just have to get behind the whole team now from the first league match v Kerry onwards. I don't care about style... just so long as we're disciplined and winning.

And I hope to god Maxi f***s off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

RE Horan

As long as that core group of Mayo players from his time in charge are still playing for Mayo he won't take any other county job. I asked him myself when I met him out last week. But he said he's open to any other county when the time is right.

---

As for Rory, it's a difficult one to accept. But accept it we must. We've a mighty panel of players, who support him, and who are still capable of winning Ulster and beyond. We just have to get behind the whole team now from the first league match v Kerry onwards. I don't care about style... just so long as we're disciplined and winning.

And I hope to god Maxi f***s off.

Horan will take the first job that comes along and offers him a real chance of winning an AI, only Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal and Dublin can offer this to him, so I wouldn't believe a word he says until someone makes the offer to him to manage these counties and provides the financial power to win an AI.

If Mayo win one it will also make it easier for him.

While Rory is manager we will continue to fail to win, so getting behind him is like wishing for the lotto numbers to come up. The only players supporting him come from his area or surrounding areas so he his causing a split in the camp himself and I know more players unhappy then happy to play for him...this is all heading to a player revolt and a split in the county.

The County Board have just wasted all the good work done over the last 5 years. Shame on them and the people that vote this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Horan win a few Connacht titles, lost an AI final and 2 S/F's that they arguably should have won. I admire his style of football but there's a tactical rigidity there in a different way.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Does anyone have any suggestions other than James Horan?
    Ollieboy wrote: »
    The only players supporting him come from his area or surrounding areas so he his causing a split in the camp himself and I know more players unhappy then happy to play for him...this is all heading to a player revolt and a split in the county.

Murphy was in the press supporting him as was Ryan McHugh. Another poster above stated that Eamonn McGee backed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Or we can all hope for a a Damascus conversion. Havent missed many matches over this last few years but considering not renewing my season ticket. The crap we have to watch. Btw, winning would be great as it means getting scores against the opposition.

Think Naomh Conaill and Naomh Brid Ballintra voted against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I really wouldn`t look on James Horan as much of an improvement and that is with me thinking Rory Gallagher is dire as a manager.
    Horan when Mayo manager was for me one of the main reasons that team didn`t win an AI.
    He brought them a long way admittedly, but he just seemed to refuse to recognise that under him Mayo became totally predictible. There only ever seemed to be a plan A, and his sideline reading of games and actions needed were at times very poor.
    Much of Mayo`s problems during his term were leakage of goals and and lack of an outlet through a big full forward as an option.
    Both of which he never did anything to remedy.
    2012 AI Final and Keane picking up Michael Murphy on a one on one was always only going to go one way, and summed up a lot of James Horan`s tactical awareness for me, and my view hasn`t changed on that over the years.
    To me it would be replacing Tweedle Dum with Tweedle Dee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Seen RG with Maxi at championship quarter finals over the weekend so Maxi's services must be retained Murphy was in masterful form playing full forward looked sharp and fit while Big Neil was dominant things looking good for the glen men

Advertisement