Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us your family secret

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

My granny apparently had a distant ancestor who, according to the grapevine, went gold mining in the thirties in Canada, made millions and was then murdered for it.

Upon further research, including dispatching an aunt to British Columbia, we discovered that that there was absolutely no evidence that he made any money at all or that he died of anything but natural causes. Imagine our disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My father's younger brother is a conman and, we reckon, a sociopath. I never met him, legend has it the last time he rang home *happened* to be the night I was born.

He ran off to England in his twenties, leaving my dad to deal with the mountain of unpaid bills and generally pissed off people. He left a similar trail of destruction all over the UK, until he went big scale and went to the US.

There he assumed the role of a PI of sorts, mingled with a lot of high up brass in Washington (some of Obama's security team were guests at his wedding...oh yeah, he was also a bigamist) and got involved in some sensitive enough stuff.

Eventually he pissed off the wrong people (was bound to happen eventually) and high tailed it back to the UK, where he was promptly arrested. Last we heard he was waiting to be extradited back to America. It's gone remarkably quiet since, we've no idea where he is (and my father isn't arsed about knowing, my uncle broke my grandmother's heart and she died not knowing if he was alive or dead).

Oh, and I found all this out after reading a thread about him on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

Which one! :-)

Tazzer wrote: »
    Which one! :-)
    Ha, that'd be telling!:P

It was in AH in November 2009 ;)

Ha, that'd be telling!:P

It was in AH in November 2009 ;)

Ok Ill get my detective skills in action - the suspense is killing me :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Ok Ill get my detective skills in action - the suspense is killing me :-)

Whitey Bolger??

Last we heard he was waiting to be extradited back to America. It's gone remarkably quiet since, we've no idea where he is (and my father isn't arsed about knowing, my uncle broke my grandmother's heart and she died not knowing if he was alive or dead).

found it (I hope) and apparently last rumored to be in Dublin. Someone stated this on another forum 2/10/2013.

Holy god that is some family secret

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

found it (I hope) and apparently last rumored to be in Dublin. Someone stated this on another forum 2/10/2013.

Holy god that is some family secret
    link

Yeah I did a bit of googling after I posted and saw that he was about to be released from prison in the states and would be deported back to the UK. That was May.

Oh, and he's getting sued by EVERYONE he ever crossed. Good enough for him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

My grandfather fought in World War II and was taken prisoner by the British (I'm from Italy).

He spent a good 75% of the duration of the war working on a farm somewhere in England, and he often spoke...how to say, very FONDLY of these days. Not what you'd expect from a POW.

He's long gone now (passed away in 1985) but to this very day, we are quite convinced he might have had a second family over in the UK :D

• Advertisement

ken wrote: »
    link

I would but its not my story - Lollipops23 ???

I would but its not my story - Lollipops23 ???

Um, I'd rather not if it's all the same! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I shot the sheriff.

Edit:- But I didn't shoot no deputy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

In my house, mother, father & 2 brothers, none of us talk to eachother bar my parents...a very slient house behind closed doors, not many people know...not many people would ever imagine!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

My aunt got pregnant out of wedlock and was sent away by my grandparents to have the baby. The baby was given up for adoption. About 20 years later she got back with an old boyfriend (who happened to be the father of the baby) and they got married. They had no other children together.

Sadly, after less than 10 years of marriage they broke up. Turns out he'd been having an affair with an old girlfriend of his who got in contact with him after many years to tell him that she had a child and he was the father. I don't know if my aunt knew about his daughter before he left her for the child's mother.

About 5 years ago, my aunt was contacted by a young man who lived in another country (I won't say specifically where, but it was somewhere in Europe), who said he was the child she'd given up for adoption and they were reunited. That's as much as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

my aunt was contacted by a young man who lived in another country who said he was the child she'd given up for adoption and they were reunited. That's as much as I know.

Tough story, but with a very nice ending

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Birroc wrote: »
    The hospital authorities never thought to release him in 50+ years despite all the church abuse revelations?

The famaily wont tell me much so i'm assuming it was never told to the hospital or by the time it was believed he was institutionalized.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭rubiesarered

My great-grandad was a bigamist - actually a trigamist!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

My great, great, grand-aunt married her step brother :pac:

my grandfathers sister ( great aunt obviously!!!) emigrated to New York, story goes she married an italien man, who was from a mafia family.
    supposedly she got shot dead in a restuarant in the 70's along with her husband. :eek:

only half heard the story because have an uncle & cousins in the NYPD and alledgly the uncle got into hassle at work for being at the funeral!!

so, my fathers cousins are half mafia, i must look into it properly

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Stop making serious threads on After Hours!
    The cūnts on here will take the pi$$ out of anything!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

Any more family secrets??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

kaiser31 wrote: »

Yep, I have a relative who dug up the corpse of a thread that had been dead 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

My cousin is an international drug dealer who owns his own pub in Italy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

kaiser31 wrote: »

If I could go anonymous, I'll write it down.

I don't know if its a family secret as I don't know if all the family knows and I don't know how true/false it is.

And, what if people found out who are on boards. Like they link your posts and threads and realise who you are. So I can't say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

manonboard wrote: »
    One of my ancestors within the last 4 generations was black. My now dead but well loved grandfather was a bit of a racist so this was never discussed.

I had made many jokes about it growing up as we share very similar bone structure, facial features, easily pigmented skin, and anatomical features that I thought it likely.

Recently, I found out through a relative looking into our family that it is through. 4th generation man made a baby with a white lady.

I look exactly like a white mo fara. Identical face structure in every aspect other than skin tone.

Are you trying to say you have some big Mandingo flute hanging off you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

You bastard! My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather was a norwegian tourist who was mugged and killed for his ihelmet in the Clontarf area.

Koooool story, Bro ... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I'm saying nothing It's a secret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

lulu1 wrote: »
    I'm saying nothing It's a secret.

What is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Mint Aero wrote: »
    What is?

The family secret that i'm not going to tell every Tom Dick and Harry on ah