Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us your family secret

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

was sat down and told by my parents a couple years ago that my sister and I had different fathers and was not my father's daughter as previously believed, making her biologically my half- sister, but it didn't change a thing between us. there was no drama about it, her biological father was just a nasty man who my sister was best protected from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

lulu1 wrote: »
    The family secret that i'm not going to tell every Tom Dick and Harry on ah

Which one was that again? :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

My grandma was born without a butthole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    My grandma was born without a butthole.

So was my cousin, it's not a secret though more just an interesting fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

My family is the Illuminati.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

My family is the Illuminati.
    Well fair ****ing play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

We talk about nothing in my family but I am pretty sure I have at least 1 half sister from my fathers affair... We do like to just sweep this kind of thing under the rug though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

My family is way too boring. All my grannies have buttholes :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

conorh91 wrote: »
    My family is way too boring. All my grannies have buttholes :mad:

I bet there is some secrets of what they were putting in their buttholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Back in 2001 I found a box of old documents which turned out to be papers concerning a legal dispute between my grandfather and 2 granduncles over a third granduncle and the family farm back in the early 1900s.
    Basically one GU who was running the farm, suffered a brain injury. My grandfather assumed charge of the farm. The 2 other GUs who were both priests felt this wasn't right and instigated legal proceedings. They also had the disabled brother sectioned in the lunatic asylum in Cork. The court case continued for years and eventually my grandfather was evicted from the farm. He was broke from the legal fees. He and his wife lived in a small stone hut for six years. The 2 priests had hired someone to run the farm but he had a drink problem and the farm went to wreck.
    The end came in 1925 when the 2 brothers realised the farm was in tatters and was of no benefit to them. They conceded defeat and my grandfather was reinstated by some type of IRA court.
    Never once heard this tale mentioned by my mother or uncle while they were alive. Bit of a shock to have to find it out and piece it together myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Jonty wrote: »
    Are you trying to say you have some big Mandingo flute hanging off you?

Yes lol i was. It is something common in my immediate family. Dunno if it is also the same for cousins.
    It was my understanding when younger that black men had big penises.
    Funny..n maybe somewhat racist then!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

My dad's a multi-millionaire, and the neighbours, and even family outside immediate, don't know about it. He lived in a modest country home with a fairly large garden, with stabling out back... nothing too out of the ordinary. He doesn't want to attract moochers.

Gave me €300k to get me through Uni. as well as a gift for doing well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

I've just read 24 pages of this thread, it was fascinating ... There's a lot of history surrounding me but I still don't know the facts and a family tree is nearly impossible but I've always wanted to do one ... Maybe someday and then I'll have something interesting to say here :P

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭todders

BeerWolf wrote: »
    My dad's a multi-millionaire, and the neighbours, and even family outside immediate, don't know about it. He lived in a modest country home with a fairly large garden, with stabling out back... nothing too out of the ordinary. He doesn't want to attract moochers.

Gave me €300k to get me through Uni. as well as a gift for doing well. :)

300k to get through university? What did you study?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Sleveile

Have an uncle that we all know about but have never met. He was born out of wedlock back in the day when you didn't do those things. A few pints with my folks one night and they told me all about it. Very sad as his family dont live a million miles away, but I dont exactly want to knock on the door and say "Surprise, its your nephew".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Pedro Gonzalez

Found out recently that I've a half brother that played for a couple of premier league clubs and Ireland.
    Hes since retired,but is very well known.
    Strange thing,family secrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

An old married grand-aunt couldn't have her own children so just took her sister's child. Her sister had four and when the youngest lad came, she just brought him home and never brought him back. He stayed with this elderly couple, on his own, and went an odd time to visit his brothers and sisters!
    When my granny went into hospital to have a baby a few years later nothing would do herself only my mam would go and stay with her while granny was away. My grandfather often told about running her off the street and tellin her to go and get a dog to keep her busy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My uncle died last year, I'd always been told he was a priest, had a nice enough house but never assumed he was well off. I was contacted by his solicitors office to tell me he'd left me a very large amount of money, turned out he was a savy business man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I was my family secret.My ma got pregnant with me in 1980,rather than deal with all the gossips in her small hometown in the south west of ireland,she hightailed it up to Dublin to live with my Da's family, who at the time lived in a heroin ridden flat complex in the north inner city, total culture shock for her but being unmarried and pregnant didn't carry as much as a stigma there.
    As far as my maternal grandparents knew she was working as an au pair in London. She would write letters to her family, post them to a relative of my da's in London,who would repackage them and send them on so that when they arrived they had an English stamp and a London postmark :eek:
    They got married in 84,and immediately my ma decided that i was to meet the other half of my family. She also hadnt seen them in four years herself and obviously missed them, so she arrived home,speaking with a strong dublin accent having spent four years in 'London' sporting a wedding ring and complete with a husband and toddler that nobody had ever seen.Must have been awful for her.
    Meanwhile back in Dublin,three of my dads brothers had took up armed robberies and kidnappings,and all eventually received lengthy sentences.While two of them settled down into suburban life after release,the eldest is to this day very much a household name in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Cody montana

My grandparents were 3rd cousins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My father's younger brother is a conman and, we reckon, a sociopath. I never met him, legend has it the last time he rang home *happened* to be the night I was born.

He ran off to England in his twenties, leaving my dad to deal with the mountain of unpaid bills and generally pissed off people. He left a similar trail of destruction all over the UK, until he went big scale and went to the US.

There he assumed the role of a PI of sorts, mingled with a lot of high up brass in Washington (some of Obama's security team were guests at his wedding...oh yeah, he was also a bigamist) and got involved in some sensitive enough stuff.

Eventually he pissed off the wrong people (was bound to happen eventually) and high tailed it back to the UK, where he was promptly arrested. Last we heard he was waiting to be extradited back to America. It's gone remarkably quiet since, we've no idea where he is (and my father isn't arsed about knowing, my uncle broke my grandmother's heart and she died not knowing if he was alive or dead).

Oh, and I found all this out after reading a thread about him on Boards.

Update on this family secret- I was approached (in my place of work in Dublin) by Channel 5, who were making a documentary on him. I tore the journalist a new one for bringing my private family business to my place of business and told her nobody in the family would speak to her (turns out all of us were approached by the same woman).

Watched the documentary a few months on and it was pure sh*te. They had tonnes of their facts wrong. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

cloud493 wrote: »
    My uncle died last year, I'd always been told he was a priest, had a nice enough house but never assumed he was well off. I was contacted by his solicitors office to tell me he'd left me a very large amount of money, turned out he was a savy business man.

As my grandfather said few priests ever die poor!!!

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭wallywhittle

My daddy was a blueshirt and my mother a madam, my brother earned his medals in My Lai in Vietnam. I'm not proud of it, not ashamed of it either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

My daddy was a blueshirt and my mother a madam, my brother earned his medals in My Lai in Vietnam. I'm not proud of it, not ashamed of it either

That you Shane??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Update on this family secret- I was approached (in my place of work in Dublin) by Channel 5, who were making a documentary on him. I tore the journalist a new one for bringing my private family business to my place of business and told her nobody in the family would speak to her (turns out all of us were approached by the same woman).

Watched the documentary a few months on and it was pure sh*te. They had tonnes of their facts wrong. :D

Who is it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

As my grandfather said few priests ever die poor!!!

:mad:

No probably not :p in fairness, I never actually saw him wearing a dog collar or doing priest things, I was just always told that was his job. But then what kinds of priest leaves his nephew £2 million + :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

No probably not :p in fairness, I never actually saw him wearing a dog collar or doing priest things, I was just always told that was his job. But then what kinds of priest leaves his nephew £2 million + :pac:

Dafuq 2million.....a pretty cool priest that's what.....
    Did you ever get any vague idea what he did to get together that kinda dosh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Cool, you don't need the disability allowance and free travel pass now so, You'll also be able to send your kid to that 30,000 a year private school you thought youd never afford...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Dafuq 2million.....a pretty cool priest that's what.....
    Did you ever get any vague idea what he did to get together that kinda dosh

"The money was only resting in my his account"

Was only thinking today that the Catholic church in Ireland would be the perfect place to launder money and send it abroad, especially given the amount of donations that go to Africa and how much of the money sent there disappears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ever read about the Massacre of Glencoe? There's a slight chance that some of my clan ancestors were holding swords. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement