Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Drive-For-Five buildup

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Tox56 wrote: »
    Disagree, if we're talking big breakout performance I would say that MOTM game v Cardiff (up against the Lions skipper no less) would have to be up there, he was on fire that day

Sure, but I think the point where he started to get consistent starts was at 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Healy
    Strauss
    Moore
    McCarthy
    Toner
    McLaughlin
    SOB
    Heaslip
    Boss
    Madigan
    D Kearney
    D'Arcy
    BOD
    McFadden
    R Kearney

If Fitzgerald is fit I would be tempted to move Kearney junior to 15 where he has impressed, but best thing would probably be to introduce him from the bench as the back 3 from the Cardiff game is more than capable.

Madigan one last chance to demand a start for the H Cup

Depending on the fitness of Bent we have to trust Moore to come off the bench in a H Cup match. And so we have to trust him here, these are the games he will learn from regardless of his performance

Bring McGrath on early, both resting Healy and battle hardening McGrath in the process. However if you bench Moore I would also bench Healy

I prefer Kearney Jnr on the wing, I'd give Kearney Snr another go. I'm not sure about starting Luke if he was fit, he's just so injury prone and I'd rather see him successfully last 80 minutes in a less important fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Archer and Ryan have done pretty well so far this season, up against Healy/McGrath will be as good a test as any to see if they really are ready for regular HC action.

And, based on what I've seen of him so far, Cronin seems to be a better scrummager than Killer. Although, I think Penney will pick Kilcoyne for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I prefer Kearney Jnr on the wing, I'd give Kearney Snr another go. I'm not sure about starting Luke if he was fit, he's just so injury prone and I'd rather see him successfully last 80 minutes in a less important fixture.

Fair enough and I would probably bench him too, but the next time there will be a less important fixture than this is a Pro12 game v Connacht almost exactly a month from today. I would hope he plays 80 mins for us at some point between now and then, he's too good a player. At the same time he should only be brought back if they are 100% sure he is ready (although I believe his injury this time was in itself pretty routine, not connected to any previous injuries)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jordi Murphy starts list. Because I'm a saddo:

Senior team:
    8 starts at 8
    2 starts at 7

B&I team:
    1 start at 8
    6 start at 7
    2 start at 6

• Advertisement

What about appearances from the bench?

Get on it Buer!

Hagz wrote: »
    What about appearances from the bench?

Get on it Buer!

Gwanouttadat.

I will say that a good number, probably the majority, were at openside but match is on so no counting it up!

Buer wrote: »
    I can see someone like Mike McCarthy being carded. He knows he's out of the Irish side unless he absolutely dominates Ryan physically.

A bit of an onus on Ryan to perform too. His performances at the end of last season weren't anything close to those that got him into the Irish team originally. Needs to get back to those levels because there's lots of competition... DOC is as solid as ever, had a good game again today. And Foley, in particular, has impressed a lot this season.

And with Henderson on the rise up North, and Toner really starting to impress, there are plenty of options in the row. (Tuohy and Stevenson are both good operators too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Touhy, Toner, Stevenson are never going to be real international options imo.

danthefan wrote: »

Maybe not, but... once upon a time, people may have said that Ryan wouldn't either. If you have a prolonged period of form, you can force yourself into the reckoning.

And Ireland know as well as most that you need to have options in case of injury...we've been hit hard in recent times.

• Advertisement

I would have been guilty of saying close to the same thing about Ryan pre '11 though.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Maybe not, but... once upon a time, people may have said that Ryan wouldn't either. If you have a prolonged period of form, you can force yourself into the reckoning.

And Ireland know as well as most that you need to have options in case of injury...we've been hit hard in recent times.
    Hagz wrote: »
    I would have been guilty of saying close to the same thing about Ryan pre '11 though.

What held Ryan back mostly was being at Munster. I don't think those I named are of the requisite quality, just my opinion.

Touhy definitely not. Stevenson I couldn't comment. Toner is playing well for Leinster but I agree I don't know that he could make the step up consistently at international level.

I don't know but there were a fair amount of people saying that Tuohy should have been picked ahead of DOC a year or two ago..... and say what you want about DOC, he has always been very solid at international level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I don't know but there were a fair amount of people saying that Tuohy should have been picked ahead of DOC a year or two ago..... and say what you want about DOC, he has always been very solid at international level.

That was more people wanting Kidney to pick a non Munster player than anything. The calls to replace Doc reached a furore in the same 6N he put in great tacking stats.

Most people and fans have no idea what a lock does outside the line out. There's a reason why the top sides always have at least one great lock.

DOC isn't the Lion he was, but he is still one of our better options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

That was more people wanting Kidney to pick a non Munster player than anything. The calls to replace Doc reached a furore in the same 6N he put in great tacking stats.

Most people and fans have no idea what a lock does outside the line out. There's a reason why the top sides always have at least one great lock.

#unseenwork
    #pashun

He should have been. DOC had been dropped by Munster but was still first choice for Ireland - figure that one out. I'll point anyone towards our results over the last year or two if they think Kidney had selections right. Touhy hasn't been able to maintain his form though. I'm sure he'd be capable of a one off decent performance for Ireland but what I meant is I don't think he'd ever be a guy you could give 40 caps to, because you wouldn't get 40 performances from him.

Mahatma, I think virtually everyone on this forum makes their Irish selections purely based on form. Ok, for 50/50 calls, a bit of home-town bias might come into play. But I can't think of anyone who has a "Anyone-But-Munster" approach to their selections. On the other hand, I have no difficulty thinking of at least 3 posters who suffer from a Munser persecution complex "The world is out to get Munster". I agree that DOC's form has picked up, but he definitely went through a plateau a while there back. And therefore Munsterman Ryan took his starting spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Mahatma, I think virtually everyone on this forum makes their Irish selections purely based on form. Ok, for 50/50 calls, a bit of home-town bias might come into play. But I can't think of anyone who has a "Anyone-But-Munster" approach to their selections. On the other hand, I have no difficulty thinking of at least 3 posters who suffer from a Munser persecution complex "The world is out to get Munster". I agree that DOC's form has picked up, but he definitely went through a plateau a while there back. And therefore Munsterman Ryan took his starting spot.

Better when bitter, and by god can they be bitter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

I think by the end of this thread we're going to see a lot of closed accounts & be saying hello to a lot of "new" friends!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Fun fact: Connacht have beaten Leinster as many times over the last 4 and a bit seasons as Munster have.

DOC is a great player but 2-3 years ago he was playing like a drain. He fully deserved to be dropped from the Irish side and most Munster fans were tearing their hair out with his performances too. His most noteworthy contributions were concentrated on niggle with the opposition where he got caught once or twice in high profile games, notably the Ospreys in the HEC.

The dropping appears to be just what he needed because last season he was much more like the old DOC, industrious and a massive work rate around the field, tackling anything that moved, slamming into every ruck and getting on his carriers shoulder more often than not. But there's no doubt he deservedly fell well down the pecking order for Ireland when he did so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I'll stick me neck out. Leinster coming together better after some tough tests.

Munster a bit more undercooked so far.

Leinster by 5

• Registered Users Posts: 24,064 ✭✭✭✭phog

durkadurka wrote: »
    I'll stick me neck out. Leinster coming together better after some tough tests.

Munster a bit more undercooked so far.

Leinster by 5

Based on the two games this weekend you're being generous to Munster though I was happy enough with our defence. However poor Leinster were they at least had a decent attack, lead in the main by BOD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

I'm not overly worried about the game, players coming back from injury, great to see Felix back again. POC looked up for it & Murray should be back next week.
    I am wonderful if Madigan starts or will Gopperth get the nod?

I'm not overly worried about the game, players coming back from injury, great to see Felix back again. POC looked up for it & Murray should be back next week.
    I am wonderful if Madigan starts or will Gopperth get the nod?

I'd be amazed if it wasn't Madigan

Is be amazed if it wasn't Madigan

I think Madigan should get the nod. Gopperth has shown what he can do, but Madigan was fine on Friday, and in combination with last season's form should start. However, it's comforting to know Gopperth is on the bench if required. That's assuming Leinster don't require Madigan at 15, but I don't think there were any new injuries luckily.

I expect Madigan to get it and hope he does. Gopperth has been great and I'm a big fan but Madigan is an 85%+ kicker and, with no other regular kicker in the side, you can't leave that out. Gopperth hasn't hit his straps on his goalkicking quote yet. Madigan is also a better tackler which will be needed for this game.

Leinster's back row has really failed to spark. I reckon POM will have a big game. He's playing well and has a couple of games under his belt. Heaslip has one poor game. SOB has nothing. Munster have a distinct advantage at lock too if POC is back in which he will be. Throw in the Munster scrum and how Leinster have really been hit and miss in adjusting to the new rules and I think this is Munster's game.

The only place I can see Leinster causing them real trouble is their maul (which Munster are equally strong at) and in midfield with their angles of running and BOD's sleight of hand.

Normally, I always think Leinster will edge it due to having a much more cohesive and talented back row but currently, that simply isn't the case. Munster by 7.

I think Madigan should get the nod. Gopperth has shown what he can do, but Madigan was fine on Friday, and in combination with last season's form should start. However, it's comforting to know Gopperth is on the bench if required. That's assuming Leinster don't require Madigan at 15, but I don't think there were any new injuries luckily.

Not so much about last seasons form as it is he has only played 1 game at 10 this season, whereas Gopperth has played 5. He was good last week but he's inevitably going to be rusty, if nothing else we have to be prepared for him to start at least one of the upcoming H Cup games, even if he doesn't start both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I hope this isn't an awful game. We hardly ever get a cracker between the sides. I want to see both teams playing positive rugby, I want to see players trying to impress a new national coach.

Young lads, the likes of Moore, mcgrath, Cronin, dineen, Sheridan, have **** loads to play for with Joe watching.

Advertisement