Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Drive-For-Five buildup

Options
  • 28-09-2013 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

3odo2t.jpg

May as well get the ball rolling! :pac:

If I have time I'll fire up a preview when the teams are named.

FWIW I'd like to see:

Cronin, Sherry, Archer, Ryan, POC, Stander, POM, Coughlan;
    Murray*, Keatley, Zebo, Dineen, Laulala, Earls, Hurley

Bench: Varley, Kilcoyne, Botha*/J Ryan, DOC, Dougall, Sheridan, JJH, Conway

*if fit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Munster are smelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

danthefan wrote: »
    Munster are smelly.

So's your ma. Take that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ooh, this might be fun.

FWIW I'd like to see:

Cronin, Sherry, Archer, Ryan, POC, Stander, POM, Coughlan;
    Murray*, Keatley, Zebo, Dineen, Laulala, Earls, Hurley

Bench: Varley, Kilcoyne, Botha*/J Ryan, DOC, Dougall, Sheridan, JJH, Conway

*if fit

Dunno if Murray will be fit, can't really see him being thrown in from the start even if he is. But if he's on the bench, class player to bring in.

I'd probably have Murphy somewhere in the backline, either on the wing or at full-back, with Earls taking the other spot. Conway on the bench ahead of Hurley.

Dineen did well today, probably did enough to hold his position. Thought JJ was good too.

That's the backrow I want to see, don't think we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

danthefan wrote: »
    Munster are smelly.

It's the sweat of pashun.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Ooh, this might be fun.

Dunno if Murray will be fit, can't really see him being thrown in from the start even if he is. But if he's on the bench, class player to bring in.

I'd probably have Murphy somewhere in the backline, either on the wing or at full-back, with Earls taking the other spot. Conway on the bench ahead of Hurley.

Dineen did well today, probably did enough to hold his position. Thought JJ was good too.

That's the backrow I want to see, don't think we will.

I forgot about Murphy there, he probably deserves to be ahead of Conway alright. Would you have Murphy ahead of Zebo though?

• Advertisement

I forgot about Murphy there, he probably deserves to be ahead of Conway alright. Would you have Murphy ahead of Zebo though?

Oh, no way.

Murphy ahead of Hurley. Back 3 of Zebo/Earls/Murphy. Conway on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Drive for five...?

Grimebox wrote: »
    Drive for five...?

It left me baffled for a while too, but I think it's got to do with the amount of European trophies them lot have :P

Took me a good while to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Fireball07 wrote: »
    It left me baffled for a while too, but I think it's got to do with the amount of European trophies them lot have :P

Took me a good while to get it.

Nah I think we've bet you home and away for the last two years now.

Last time you beat us was in 2011 when the goys were hungover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

This certainly didn't answer any questions

• Advertisement

durkadurka wrote: »
    Nah I think we've bet you home and away for the last two years now.

Last time you beat us was in 2011 when the goys were hungover!

Oh...

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

I'd say we'll see a Leinster team of
    Kearney; Ferg, BOD, Darce, Dave K; Madigan, Boss
    Healy, Cronin, Moore; Toner, Cullen; SOB, Murphy, Heaslip.
    Strauss, McGrath, Ross, Roux, McLaughlin, Reddan, Gopperth, Tuqiri.

I think Moore did enough yesterday to earn his place in the XV, Murphy similarly has continued where he picked off last season. Is Cullen fit? If not I'd imagine Denton will be on the bench. Kearney was poor last night for me but we don't really have anyone to step in. Week too soon for Fitz obviously :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I'd say we'll see a Leinster team of
    Kearney; Ferg, BOD, Darce, Dave K; Madigan, Boss
    Healy, Cronin, Moore; Toner, Cullen; SOB, Murphy, Heaslip.
    Strauss, McGrath, Ross, Roux, McLaughlin, Reddan, Gopperth, Tuqiri.

I think Moore did enough yesterday to earn his place in the XV, Murphy similarly has continued where he picked off last season. Is Cullen fit? If not I'd imagine Denton will be on the bench. Kearney was poor last night for me but we don't really have anyone to step in. Week too soon for Fitz obviously :pac:

McCarthy will surely start next week with Toner no? Be amazed also if SOB started.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

SOB said himself this is his comeback game. Now that might mean from the bench but given the real issues Leinster had last night at flanker, I could see him starting.

Not a hope Ross will be on the bench though and I'd be surprised if KMcL wasn't in the side too. Murphy has done well but I think the best hope for him is the bench if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

1. Cian Healy
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Mike Ross
    4. Mike McCarthy
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Kevin McLaughlin
    7. Jordi Murphy
    8. Jamie Heaslip
    9. Isaac Boss
    10. Ian Madigan
    11. Dave Kearney
    12. Gordon D'Arcy
    13. Brian O'Driscoll
    14. Fergus McFadden
    15. Rob Kearney

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Jack McGrath
    18. Marty Moore
    19. Quinn Roux
    20. Sean O'Brien
    21. Eoin Reddan
    22. Jimmy Gopperth
    23. Brendan Macken

I expect it to be a fiery encounter.

A couple of yellow cards, a red card, and maybe a couple of month-long bans.....

And that's just on this forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I think Hagz has it fairly spot on, won't be too many changes from that side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Hagz wrote: »
    1. Cian Healy
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Mike Ross
    4. Mike McCarthy
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Kevin McLaughlin
    7. Jordi Murphy
    8. Jamie Heaslip
    9. Isaac Boss
    10. Ian Madigan
    11. Dave Kearney
    12. Gordon D'Arcy
    13. Brian O'Driscoll
    14. Fergus McFadden
    15. Rob Kearney

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Jack McGrath
    18. Marty Moore
    19. Quinn Roux
    20. Sean O'Brien
    21. Eoin Reddan
    22. Jimmy Gopperth
    23. Brendan Macken

Has Murphy played much at 7? Otherwise I would tend to concur, although you'd want McCarthy to up his game a bit. No doubt you'll tell me Murphy's a natural 7, and made his name in that position...

I reckon there'll be a bit of niggle, alright. Always is. Few people wanting to put down markers. Few young upstarts wanting to make a name for themselves, some fading names raging against the dying of the light etc. I can see someone like Mike McCarthy being carded. He knows he's out of the Irish side unless he absolutely dominates Ryan physically.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Has Murphy played much at 7? Otherwise I would tend to concur, although you'd want McCarthy to up his game a bit. No doubt you'll tell me Murphy's a natural 7, and made his name in that position...

Well actually....

No, he made his name as an 8 but he can play 7 and has started there before for Leinster. I think SOB might come straight back into this one though with JM on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Generic Munster banterish slagging #648

Buer wrote: »
    Well actually....

No, he made his name as an 8 but he can play 7 and has started there before for Leinster. I think SOB might come straight back into this one though with JM on the bench.

Phew, thought I'd lost the plot. I was swearing to myself he'd been playing at 8 in the games he's started this season.

I reckon BOD deserves a rest after a great performance against Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Buer wrote: »
    SOB said himself this is his comeback game. Now that might mean from the bench but given the real issues Leinster had last night at flanker, I could see him starting.

Not a hope Ross will be on the bench though and I'd be surprised if KMcL wasn't in the side too. Murphy has done well but I think the best hope for him is the bench if at all.

SOB came back off a long injury against Glasgow away last year, and in a game where you really need to dominate the breakdown (as will be the case against Munster) he did exactly that, if he's fit he has to start for me.

Was outstanding v Warburton at 7 this time last year so he can definitely play there, but he's no SOB. Unlucky because of all the back rowers his form is probably the best but he just doesn't fit in a McLaughlin-SOB-Heaslip backrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

POC dropped a speculative cross kick today, clearly he was brought back about 2 weeks prematurely. Back into the cotton wool with him I say. For his own sake really...

In your dreams boy. Or should that be fantasies :P

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Quint2010 wrote: »
    McCarthy will surely start next week with Toner no? Be amazed also if SOB started.

I actually completely forgot we had signed him :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Murphy played the majority of his rugby for the 'A' team at 7. Also, though I'm open to correction on this, I think he's played at 7 for the senior side as many times as he has in any other position. But 8 is certainly where he made his breakthrough and caught everyone's attention.

Healy
    Strauss
    Moore
    McCarthy
    Toner
    McLaughlin
    SOB
    Heaslip
    Boss
    Madigan
    D Kearney
    D'Arcy
    BOD
    McFadden
    R Kearney

If Fitzgerald is fit I would be tempted to move Kearney junior to 15 where he has impressed, but best thing would probably be to introduce him from the bench as the back 3 from the Cardiff game is more than capable.

Madigan one last chance to demand a start for the H Cup

Depending on the fitness of Bent we have to trust Moore to come off the bench in a H Cup match. And so we have to trust him here, these are the games he will learn from regardless of his performance

Bring McGrath on early, both resting Healy and battle hardening McGrath in the process. However if you bench Moore I would also bench Healy

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    Murphy played the majority of his rugby for the 'A' team at 7. Also, though I'm open to correction on this, I think he's played at 7 for the senior side as many times as he has in any other position. But 8 is certainly where he made his breakthrough and caught everyone's attention.

Disagree, if we're talking big breakout performance I would say that MOTM game v Cardiff (up against the Lions skipper no less) would have to be up there, he was on fire that day

Advertisement