Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Drive-For-Five buildup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Much more worrying than anything to do with the benches is having a veritably awful player at this level starting at 9. Williams has been ok so far this season but ok won't cut it on Saturday.

The worry for me (if I was on the dark side), would be Williams in correlation with Ronan. The last thing he needs is to have to go digging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Tox56 wrote: »
    Are Murray and Botha?

Is Sean O'Brien? Lots of variables here.

I would hope that the Leinster starting XV will be good enough that we won't need big interventions from the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Is Sean O'Brien? Lots of variables here.

I would hope that the Leinster starting XV will be good enough that we won't need big interventions from the bench.

You don't mind if I hope, that your hope is dashed....here's hoping anyway! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Also, for the record, Johne Murphy is bleedin' robbed to not be in the 23. Injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Must say, and this is probably bad on my part, but I did smirk at the lack of a certain Blackrock boy in the 23...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

If I were Leinster, I'd start Cronin, SOB, Reddan, Madigan and go hell for leather at Munster early.

Ruck and quick ball is one place we can make hay for me, with Williams and Ronan in the side.

We've shown previously that when we up the tempo in Thomond we can make hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

What does Johne Murphy have to do?

I love Hurley as much as anyone, but it's full-back or nowhere for him, surely? Or maybe 12... I just don't want to see him on the wing anymore. Disappointed Murphy hasn't made it.

The really interesting selection has to be Jones though, wasn't really expecting him to be back. On his day, he can be excellent, his form towards the end of last season was promising. Likes of Conway and Dineen will be pushing hard for places in time.

Williams is an interesting call too, I suppose on form this season, he deserves to be ahead of Sheridan, but he really needs to deliver here. Any sort of poor delivery could put us on the backfoot. I'd always be worried about him starting..... great to see Murray there though, will be a big boost.

You'd expect all of Cronin, Botha, DOC, Stander, Murray, JJ to make a big impact from the bench, something we've not always been able to say...possibly Varley too, but I don't always trust him.

Interesting to see what the Leinster team will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

If I were Leinster, I'd start Cronin, SOB, Reddan, Madigan and go hell for leather at Munster early.

Ruck and quick ball is one place we can make hay for me, with Williams and Ronan in the side.

We've shown previously that when we up the tempo in Thomond we can make hay.

Two of those highlighted go badly and there won't be much hay made!

Whatever about Cronin, but Boss is a safer option than Reddan

Must say, and this is probably bad on my part, but I did smirk at the lack of a certain Blackrock boy in the 23...

I smirked too, but only because I'd rather have Denis Hurley running at a tiring Leinster defence than Andrew Conway.

Conway can't have many complaints. The games he has played in have largely passed him by. Murphy has much more cause to be pissed off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hurk

Could any Galway heads recommend a pub that would be showing the game? Up there for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Once again Jones gets straight back in starting after an injury layoff. Hopefully he will get some front foot ball to attack with.

Murphy is unlucky alright but Zebo deserves time to play himself into form. He will have to raise his game for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Once again Jones gets straight back in starting after an injury layoff. Hopefully he will get some front foot ball to attack with.

Murphy is unlucky alright but Zebo deserves time to play himself into form. He will have to raise his game for this.

Realistically, I think the spot up for grabs was between Murphy, Hurley, Jones and Conway...and on form, Murphy deserved it.

Zebo deserves the time to get himself back to fitness and has a tendency to play well in big games, so was always going to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I may be mistaken, but didnt Jones come back from the last injury straight into the Leinster game in the Aviva last year & score a great try? Anyway at least if he's having a howler we can throw DH in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Think that's a very strong Munster starting 15 and bench. Very worried for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Hurk wrote: »
    Could any Galway heads recommend a pub that would be showing the game? Up there for the weekend.

The salthouse great little bar always have rugby on there and great beers there too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Not an overly scary Munster side imo, I think Leinster can match that certainly. Form/home advantage are significant variables though.

I think we could have fielded a better side

I may be mistaken, but didnt Jones come back from the last injury straight into the Leinster game in the Aviva last year & score a great try? Anyway at least if he's having a howler we can throw DH in.

No, he didn't play in the Aviva IIRC but did score a try in Thomond; don't know if I'd say it was a great try but it was certainly contentious...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I think we could have fielded a better side

Could we? Stander could come in for Ronan maybe. Its a week too soon for Botha and Murray. Murphy has earned a start, but he isn't better than Zebo and Earls, and Jones is probably our best fullback who regularly plays there.

You've called for Cronin and Varley. Its too soon to throw Cronin in against Leinster and I'd have Killer ahead of him anyway. Starting Varley is out of the question in a tight game. His darts are unreliable at best and his propensity for silly penalties is infuriating.

• Advertisement

Could we? Stander could come in for Ronan maybe. Its a week too soon for Botha and Murray. Murphy has earned a start, but he isn't better than Zebo and Earls, and Jones is probably our best fullback who regularly plays there.

You've called for Cronin and Varley. Its too soon to throw Cronin in against Leinster and I'd have Killer ahead of him anyway. Starting Varley is out of the question in a tight game. His darts are unreliable at best and his propensity for silly penalties is infuriating.

Sheridan for Williams

CJ for Ronan

Murphy for Jones

Makes it a better side for me

No, he didn't play in the Aviva IIRC but did score a try in Thomond; don't know if I'd say it was a great try but it was certainly contentious...

Was that the Downey/BOD off the ball tackle incident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Sheridan for Williams

CJ for Ronan

Murphy for Jones

Even though it pains me to say it, Williams is in better form. Murphy isn't a fullback even though he was good last week. I'd like to see CJ in for Ronan, but I imagine that Ronan is more suited to the fast continuity based rugby Penney wants to play.

danthefan wrote: »

No, that was the Downey not looking where he was running incident

Sheridan for Williams

CJ for Ronan

Murphy for Jones

Jones everytime at FB.
    Yes, he's as brittle as china, but he's a better option than anybody else in the squad.
    I'd liked to have seen CJ start though.

New scrum rules are going to be interesting. I do like the way we've adapted to them so far, am hoping for more of the same sat evening

No, that was the Downey not looking where he was running incident

Bwahahahaha.

Anyway Leinster won. Was great craic altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

danthefan wrote: »

Let's not

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Just realised this could be Drico's last game in Thomond. =0. Anyone know who's televising this?

Grimebox wrote: »
    Let's not

It's all good humoured so far....we can take it.....will make the asswhooping on Saturday even sweeter! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Jones everytime at FB.
    Yes, he's as brittle as china, but he's a better option than anybody else in the squad.
    I'd liked to have seen CJ start though.

New scrum rules are going to be interesting. I do like the way we've adapted to them so far, am hoping for more of the same sat evening

It's hard to say how good Jones is, we see so little of him play. Great to see him have a run, but Murphy and Hurley have played very well so far this season. Killer instead of Cronin, Downey instead of Dineen, Ronan instead of Stander. Lots of the players who've played well in the early season games have been dropped as soon as the 'serious season' kicks in.

Advertisement