Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road deaths on the rise

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

infacteh wrote: »
    With regards motorcycle fatalities, I'd like to know how many riders were unlicensed / uninsured / untrained? In my experience, I would imagine it is relatively high, and I feel those riders being included in the statistics of serious riders does a disservice to proper motorcyclists!

Anything at all to base that on, or is it just blind prejudice?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It is wrong placing someone that stole a car or bike or things like this.

More needs to divulged as in was that person mowed down on a path or fault was not actually vehicle operator.

It is always set at driver been at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

the MCIB publish reports into each incident, ad I'd guess there's civil court cases pending in a lot of those.
    And yet they get published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

One thing that might actually help would be fixing public transport!

Ireland's road accident rates aren't actually very high by international comparison. It's still a very very safe place to use the road.

However, when you look at it. We're encouraging cycling often without adequate infrastructure for cyclists. A lot of rural roads and a lot of outer urban roads are just totally unstable for mixed use.

For example, I was behind a cyclist in Cork City today on a very narrow road and it was actually impossible to pass due to oncoming traffic that wouldn't give way. So I was stuck going up a hill at about 2km/h for a good while. That kind of thing can lead to some drivers running someone off the road. I'm not saying it's right, but the road simply isn't suitable for cars and bikes. Alternative cycle routes need to be looked at much more seriously.

We have pathetically badly organised public transport and I honestly think it's time to abandon CIE. The bus network in cities like Cork is an absolute disgrace compared to similar cities elsewhere. The result of that system being so inadequate is more bikes on the road and heavier traffic.

Nothing radical is being done to fix this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Time to bump this thread with the arguably unexpected news that RTF are down nearly 20% year on year to this point.

154 including the two deaths earlier today as compared to 191 in 2014, the total for last year was 193. Bearing in mind the undoubted rise in kms covered and total time at the wheel that's quite a fall. Quite why is another matter, can't be the good weather! Though Sept/Oct were notably dry.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=14573&Lang=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Time to bump this thread with the arguably unexpected news that RTF are down nearly 20% year on year to this point.

154 including the two deaths earlier today as compared to 191 in 2014, the total for last year was 193. Bearing in mind the undoubted rise in kms covered and total time at the wheel that's quite a fall. Quite why is another matter, can't be the good weather! Though Sept/Oct were notably dry.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=14573&Lang=1

A few new roads opened this year too. More dc, less head on opportunities

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

We've seen such a big fall since 2005 that what you saw this and last year was just regression to the mean. The level the deaths are at now is the new normal. It's something to be proud of.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Actually should probably just close this, it's wrongly named and there's a new better named thread.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/98164837

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The opening of all the motorways and upgraded stretches of roads really helped there

This could go lower with an M20, a completed M18 and proper quality stretches of N24, N21, N22, N25, N15, N17, N13 amongst others

Advertisement