Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodley 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Echecs

I believe the five teams you mentioned could be competing in the O'Hanlon; they are definitely too strong for the Bodley. But the fact is, only two of them will get promoted, which is a pity, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Echecs wrote: »
    I believe the five teams you mentioned could be competing in the O'Hanlon; they are definitely too strong for the Bodley. But the fact is, only two of them will get promoted, which is a pity, really.
    The Wicklow team is much the same one that got promoted from the Ennis a few years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Curragh A got another 5-0

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Interesting!

Though it was against Naomh Barróg B, who'd be quite weak. So despite two of the three whitewash wins in the division (and it's hard to win 5-0 in the Bodley), I still think they don't have what it takes to keep up with the other three. Unless they've added to the team that beat Bray, of course.

mikhail wrote: »
    The Wicklow team is much the same one that got promoted from the Ennis a few years ago.
    Just to put that in context - the five players who played in the Bodley on Wednesday all played in the 2007/08 Ennis against us, losing 4-2. They still pipped us to promotion though. The extra player on the Ennis team was their board 5.

• Advertisement

Curragh A got another 5-0

Strange, that match is scheduled for 30th November i.e. for tomorrow.

yes it was a walkover

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

Walkover or not, it actually puts Curragh A in a good position in that they have only dropped 3 points across 3 fixtures.
    The test will come when they play one of the big 3 and interestingly they don't play Bemildus until the last round. They have built a little buffer, so could possibly get away with. Narrow defeat to the likes of DL and still be in contention.
    There is also a big match in group A tomorrow. Drogheda have a strong enough squad, so they could give Gonzaga a good run tomorrow, but I agree that it looks like the big match to decide the division. Non of the other teams jumps out at you the way the Gonzaga and Drigheda teams do.
    In group B, it's advantage Benildus, but the 5 0 results for DL and Cur make it interesting

Bodley Cup B table:

Team MP Pts

1 St Benildus A 4 15
    2 Wicklow 4 13
    3 Curragh A 3 12
    4 Dun Laoghaire 3 11
    5 Rathmines 3 8 ½
    6 Enniscorthy 2 4 ½
    7 Phibsboro 3 3 ½
    8 Inchicore 3 3
    9 Naomh Barróg B 3 3
    10 Bray / Greystones 2 1 ½

Walkover or not, it actually puts Curragh A in a good position in that they have only dropped 3 points across 3 fixtures.
    Yes and no. Obviously 12 from 15 is a great start, but when one of those is a walkover, it means you can't read quite as much into their early-season form.

Their game next week against Rathmines will tell a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Gonzaga 2.5 - 2.5 Drogheda.
    Good result for Drogheda, A section wide open now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Chess_Coach

The test will come when they play one of the big 3 and interestingly they don't play Bemildus until the last round. They have built a little buffer, so could possibly get away with. Narrow defeat to the likes of DL and still be in contention.
    There is also a big match in group A tomorrow. Drogheda have a strong enough squad, so they could give Gonzaga a good run tomorrow, but I agree that it looks like the big match to decide the division. Non of the other teams jumps out at you the way the Gonzaga and Drigheda teams do.
    In group B, it's advantage Benildus, but the 5 0 results for DL and Cur make it interesting

Enniscorthy just won 4-1 and they won Curragh A easily .
    What was the walkover please ?

Darko, just to make it sure, you're probably talking about the match Enniscorthy vs Bray, and Enniscorthy won it 4-1, right?

Walkover was awarded to Curragh A, as Naomh Barrog B failed to gather a team for that match.

Very sorry
    Enniscorthy won 4 - 1 today vs Bray
    But I think that Enniscorthy won in round 2 vs Curragh A 3 - 2 or ?

Yes it was 3-2 against The Curragh.

Not bad for kids that play chess 1 year now

It must be from their amazing coaching ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭midajoh

Gonzaga 2 1/2 Drogheda 2 1/2

Bodley Cup B standings:

Team MP Pts

1 St Benildus A 4 15
    2 Wicklow 4 13
    3 Curragh A 3 12
    4 Dun Laoghaire 3 11
    5 Rathmines 3 8 ½
    6 Enniscorthy 3 8 ½
    7 Phibsboro 3 3 ½
    8 Inchicore 3 3
    9 Naomh Barróg B 3 3
    10 Bray / Greystones 3 2 ½

I think Enniscorthy is 5th not 6th .

• Advertisement

Maybe you're right.

Can I play board one for Enniscorthy as I did not play any game for Kilkenny this year

Not this year, I am afraid. You see, you've been officially declared on the Kilkenny team (http://www.leinsterchess.com/lcu1314/div1/panel9.htm). No player declared for one club can compete for another during the same season. But next year you can do it without any problem. Just make sure Kilkenny doesn't include you in their team declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

But why would you do it though?

Mark, I have a question for you. Who is the captain of your Bodley A team (that has Mihailo and Anastasiya among its members)? We'll have to play them soon...

Actually, I should have sent this to you as a private message, if it is at all possible. I am still trying to master boards.ie. :)

Why not Sparks it is nice to play together with students same as I did in past in Kilkenny . The winninig Kilkenny Armstrong team had 5 Chess School Polimac student and me . 6/8

Of course, it is a good idea to play alongside your students, Darko. John Delaney did it last year competing for Blanchardstown. You'll be able to do it next year if you wish so. Another thing is that the level in the Bodley is quite low, so you'll be bored to death playing against beginners. But if you can live with that, so can we. :)

I was joking of course .Next year my students will be strong enough to win the league . Time works for us . I ll have team 2 ready as well

Echecs wrote: »
    Mark, I have a question for you. Who is the captain of your Bodley A team (that has Mihailo and Anastasiya among its members)? We'll have to play them soon...
    Actually, I should have sent this to you as a private message, if it is at all possible. I am still trying to master boards.ie. :)

I don't think it's a secret Echecs :D John captains the Bodley B group team (and Kevin the Bodley A, which is the team I'm on).

• Advertisement

Why not Sparks it is nice to play together with students same as I did in past in Kilkenny
    Because you're a high-1900s rated player and would be bored out of your gourd? I mean, there is at least one 1900 rated player in the Bodley this year, but that's by accident rather than by design, I can't imagine it's the most challenging thing he's ever played in...

Advertisement