Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco Tab - Hudl

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Cool Daddy wrote: »
    Thanks - did it take long to ship
    Took about a week to ship but after that I had it in 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Can you actually purchase these units in store in the north or in the UK. I am heading over to the UK in the next 2 weeks (Birmingham) and would love to get one for my little girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Can you actually purchase these units in store in the north or in the UK. I am heading over to the UK in the next 2 weeks (Birmingham) and would love to get one for my little girl.

Yes, if the're in stock and in a Tesco store that sells tech then yes they should have them. Run up to Newry Tesco and buy one or just sign up for Parcel motel and save your self a lot of money on driving to Newry etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Does it have Android 4.3 and restricted profiles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

seanie27 wrote: »
    Hi there. HAven't made the splash yet. Ended up getting two 3Q tablets (for the kids) for 99 euro in Powercity. And they're actually good. Fluid browsing, quick, IPS screen. Still tempted by the Hudl's good specs - will make a leap at christmas one way or the other though also tempted by Nexus 10 from simply electronics for 300.
    Still not sure in relation to the clubcard. Will try an dfind out.
    S.

In my recent experiences I would stay clear of Simply Electronics, website is a joke full of errors that I found out the hard way. I ended up ordering 2 nexus 10's because of the errors and I am waiting 2 weeks for both the 1st one to ship and the refund!!!!

DISASTER :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 stinkupuss

capistrano wrote: »
    Yes, I ordered one with Parcel Motel and it arrived yesterday. I put my PMID as part of my Surname when registering on Tesco Direct as you can edit addresses (you must select one from a list of known addresses at the postcode).

I tried to register on tesco direct but it won't accept numbers in the name (for the PMID) fields. Also the address drop down list where you have to select an address did not show the Parcel Motel address for the BT36 4PE post code. How did you get round this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

great little tablet for the money and if collecting some vouchers can be used to bring the price down.
    only thing negative to mention is the camera when using skype etc , its very dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Dealz are selling screen protectors specifically for the Tesco Hudl.

Taken in Dún Laoghaire. Bloomfields Shopping Centre.

qgxz.jpg

The product to the left is for the Kindle Fire HD 8.9".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

stinkupuss wrote: »
    I tried to register on tesco direct but it won't accept numbers in the name (for the PMID) fields. Also the address drop down list where you have to select an address did not show the Parcel Motel address for the BT36 4PE post code. How did you get round this?
    Its the nightline logistics address that comes up when you enter the post code and If you edit your address you can put in the Pm Id. I ordered one last week and it arrived after 5 days in Parcel Motel delighted great tablet for the price.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Eiredoc

Won' allow me to edit the address.. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 stinkupuss

Eiredoc wrote: »
    Won' allow me to edit the address.. Any ideas?

You can't edit the address but you can edit some details in delivery information when you checkout. I put my PMID after my name in the surname field and selected "Leave with receptionist" in delivery instructions as previously suggested. Put the Nightline phone as the contact num (028 90848411) as it would not accept my Eircom or mobile #'s. Took 5 days for it to arrive. Just ordered another one. Will make great presents for the kids.

Kindle fire HD now down to 99 stg. Decisions, decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dark Stanley.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

When you buy in store you get a 20 pound voucher for electronics over 100 pound. So buy one after the other! Might save somebody some cash if buying multiples.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tesco are launching a next generation Hudl in 2014 after sales of this one exceeded their expectations,over 300,000 have been sold so far with them running out of stock twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Crap, currently out of stock on the store - was going to get one of these for my dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Conor026

zerks wrote: »
    Tesco are launching a next generation Hudl in 2014 after sales of this one exceeded their expectations,over 300,000 have been sold so far with them running out of stock twice.

Any idea when in 2014? Early/mid/late?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Argh. Damn thing is out of stock :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Some colours are back in stock at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Amalgam wrote: »
    Dealz are selling screen protectors specifically for the Tesco Hudl.

I'm thinking the main significance of this is "we stock the same cr@p as Poundland, just with the traditional markup for the RoI market". Obviously any decision of "eh, we don't have that tablet here..." was above the pay grade of the Dealz "division" of the company.

I bought a Hudl recently when in the UK, evaluated it for a while, hummed and hawed, then finally returned it.

Pros: display seemed very nice. Looks a whole lot better than my "standard resolution" laptop that has a screen quadruple the size, for sure. Performance seemed good. Storage and expansibility compared very well with the competition (double that of the Aldi tab; lots of more expensive models have no micro SD slot at all).

Cons: Flash "support" is really atrocious. You can run it if you really want to, just not via any of the mainstream browsers, not from Google Play, and not a remotely up-to-date version (even if, like me, you have low, Linux-oriented standards for what "up-to-date" means in Flash terms). This probably isn't any sort of issue for most people, and will be less and less so as time goes on, as Flash is well on the way out. It's also nothing specific to the Hudl, just an aspect of Android and "inter-operating" with a laptop/desktop I hadn't fully considered myself.

More worryingly, my tablet had a small but annoying transient fault with the display, where one half would stop recognising any input, until "standby toggled". (Obviously this isn't a massively common fault, but I did find a web page where a couple of people had had the same issue) In turn, this made me aware, after contacting the helpline, that there was no return under guarantee in the RoI at all -- you'd have to take it back to an "Extra" store in the UK. That's a significant nuisance, unless you're back and forth (or, up and down) every wet weekend in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭gipi

I visited Tesco Newry today to have a look at a hudl - based on some of the threads and reviews, was thinking about buying one. Have access to a laptop, so was looking for something relatively cheap and cheerful.

Asked the guy at the electronics desk, and as it happened they were out of stock.

The guy went on to give a very honest opinion of the tablet, he isn't recommending them at all!

He's taken in a lot of returns recently, with 2 main faults reported - display and connectors.

He said that the display screen was causing problems (didn't elaborate on what the problems were though), and also said that the HDMI connector and the charger connector were breaking so folks could neither connect nor charge the thing.

His honest opinion was that anyone thinking of buying a hudl should wait for the updated (and, more likely, fault-free) version which is due sometime in 2014. No date available for the updated version as yet.

Thought it was more than decent of him to point out the flaws, no doubt as a result of dealing with irate customers, and maybe one or two of Santa's little helpers....

I'm sure not all hudls are faulty, maybe a rushed pre-Xmas order led to a fall in whatever quality control these things go through, but thought I'd post the Tesco guy's comments here for what they're worth.

Think I'll hold off on tablet buying for another while....:)

Good on him for telling it straight! The Nordies do like to call a spade a bloody great shovel, I guess. :)
    gipi wrote: »
    He's taken in a lot of returns recently, with 2 main faults reported - display and connectors.
    He said that the display screen was causing problems (didn't elaborate on what the problems were though)
    Wouldn't be surprised if it was indeed the same problem as I had. Over at this thread several people have had exactly the same issue. Obviously we have no way of knowing the exact prevalence, and it's not a fatal problem, but it's a distinct nuisance and value-lowerer. Still no idea if a software issue, but I'm suspecting it's a transient hardware glitch.
    and also said that the HDMI connector and the charger connector were breaking so folks could neither connect nor charge the thing.
    To be fair, I've had very cheap connectors survive a long time, and fairly expensive ones die on me distressingly promptly. Not dear things to replace if you don't mind slumming it on eBay and in Dealz.
    His honest opinion was that anyone thinking of buying a hudl should wait for the updated (and, more likely, fault-free) version which is due sometime in 2014. No date available for the updated version as yet.

My conclusion too, especially as I'd like to wait and see if it comes out in Ireland, too, so as to have an effective guarantee. Mild nuisance having to take a return from Dundalk to Newry... real pain having to bring it back from Cork to Glasgow!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

Anyone get the Hudl 2 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Madman2

Can these be got in the South yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

So the Hudl never made it to Ireland ?

Hudl 2 looks Amazeballs though
    http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/ArticleWeb.aspx?regionid=4&articleid=29801772

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Thread already created for it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92455890

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Spec looks very good for the price, might give this one a go.

Advertisement