Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco Tab - Hudl

Options
  • 23-09-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

One of many links.

Seems decent spec (7", WiFi, Bluetooth,1280 x 720 screen, 16Gb upgradeable to 48GB) for the price point (no processor info yet, afaia) but it'll probably be loaded with bloatware.

Will be interesting to see if they put a SIM slot in it as a Tesco mobile bundle is likely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

One of many links.

Seems decent spec (7", WiFi, Bluetooth,1280 x 720 screen, 16Gb upgradeable to 48GB) for the price point (no processor info yet, afaia) but it'll probably be loaded with bloatware.

Will be interesting to see if they put a SIM slot in it as a Tesco mobile bundle is likely.

Wonder will they be selling it here in Ireland and at what price most importantly!!

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Probably need to order with reference to your Tesco club card I'd imagine. That might make it difficult/impossible to order using parcel motel. Unless the Irish club card is valid via the ordering system of course.

Sounds very intriguing nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

very little bloatware going by the account on hexus, just the "T" in the bottom corner

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

7-inch 1440 x 900 touch screen, scratch and smudge resistant
    Quad-core 1.5GHz processor
    Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
    Cameras: 3 megapixel back camera and 2 megapixel front facing camera
    16GB Built-in storage extendable to 48GB via Micro-SD slot
    Wi-Fi Dual band 2.4GHz & 5GHz, GPS, Bluetooth 4.0
    Approx 9hr Battery life
    USB 2.0 port,
    Micro-HDMI port
    Stereo speakers

Those are some impressive specs!
    HDMI and USB ports, Quad-core, decent front camera, good screen, MicroSD slot.

Good on ya Tesco.

Now make sure it's well built and I'll feckin buy one, and I reckon many many others will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

7-inch 1440 x 900 touch screen, scratch and smudge resistant
    Quad-core 1.5GHz processor
    Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
    Cameras: 3 megapixel back camera and 2 megapixel front facing camera
    16GB Built-in storage extendable to 48GB via Micro-SD slot
    Wi-Fi Dual band 2.4GHz & 5GHz, GPS, Bluetooth 4.0
    Approx 9hr Battery life
    USB 2.0 port,
    Micro-HDMI port
    Stereo speakers

Those are some impressive specs!
    HDMI and USB ports, Quad-core, decent front camera, good screen, MicroSD slot.

Good on ya Tesco.

Now make sure it's well built and I'll feckin buy one, and I reckon many many others will too.

tbh it's almost a dead cert chrimbo pressie for herself

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    tbh it's almost a dead cert chrimbo pressie for herself

I was gonna by the auld pair a Nexus 4 each for Xmas but now this has popped up.....!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,480 ✭✭✭touts

Doubt it will be here in Ireland before Christmas (if at all). Tesco have a load of services (movie streaming) etc in the UK that they dont offer here. They will be like Amazon in terms of selling the tablet cheap in order to increase revenue from their online services. My bet is they wont launch here until those services and their revenue stream are available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

touts wrote: »
    Doubt it will be here in Ireland before Christmas (if at all). Tesco have a load of services (movie streaming) etc in the UK that they dont offer here. They will be like Amazon in terms of selling the tablet cheap in order to increase revenue from their online services. My bet is they wont launch here until those services and their revenue stream are available here.

They do the movie streaming here too ,its called www.clubcardtv.com and it's free so far. It's not great, but it's not bad for free.

You're probably right though, it wouldnt make much sense to launch before they have revenue in place. That said we could all always use Parcel Motel and get it that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,480 ✭✭✭touts

They do the movie streaming here too ,its called www.clubcardtv.com and it's free so far. It's not great, but it's not bad for free.

You're probably right though, it wouldnt make much sense to launch before they have revenue in place. That said we could all always use Parcel Motel and get it that way!

Interesting. I didn't realise that was working in Ireland. And their Android app went live in Ireland recently.

I might be wrong. Perhaps they will launch the Hudl here soon also.

Afraid not. I contacted Tesco Customer Care to ask if they will be releasin it in Ireland.

The reply:
    I have checked with my Business Support Team and unfortunately we are not currently stocking the Hudl in any of our Republic of Ireland stores.

• Advertisement

Afraid not. I contacted Tesco Customer Care to ask if they will be releasin it in Ireland.

The reply:

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Will parcel motel still be an option for getting our hands on it ?

Don't see why not. The clubcard discount is probably not gonna work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Im not very technically savvy but im going to the UK in the next few weeks and was thinking of buying one for my kid.

Simple question, if I do this will we be able to access apps, stream movies, kids shows etc from Ireland? Will we have to register a home irish address when purchasing or setting up an account?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

setanta74 wrote: »
    Im not very technically savvy but im going to the UK in the next few weeks and was thinking of buying one for my kid.

Simple question, if I do this will we be able to access apps, stream movies, kids shows etc from Ireland? Will we have to register a home irish address when purchasing or setting up an account?

Thanks

You'll be fine I'd say. Tesco don't have their own app store like Amazon as far as I know so you'll still be using the Google Play Store to download apps, music, books etc if you want. You'll be able to install Netflix or whatever you want for streaming for whatever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Anyone tried to pick up one of these with Parcel motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

It's hard to order from tesco.com as it insists on a home phone number so you have to give them a geographic UK one so I used nightline's (Parcel motel) NI number. Haven't done it yet but am considering. I must recheck cos I'm pretty certain the delivery entails the purchaser signing for the device.

EDIT: Yes, it's a signed for delivery. but you get the option to leave the courier an instruction. So you can opt to "leave at reception"
    It's free delivery so you're only paying 3.50 for PM to take it. Beats driving to Newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

seanie27 wrote: »
    It's hard to order from tesco.com as it insists on a home phone number so you have to give them a geographic UK one so I used nightline's (Parcel motel) NI number. Haven't done it yet but am considering. I must recheck cos I'm pretty certain the delivery entails the purchaser signing for the device.

EDIT: Yes, it's a signed for delivery. but you get the option to leave the courier an instruction. So you can opt to "leave at reception"
    It's free delivery so you're only paying 3.50 for PM to take it. Beats driving to Newry.

A lot of people in the Apple forum have got the iPhone 5s from the UK using parcel motel and they said PM will sign for it when it arrives at their depot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Has anyone successfully ordered one of these using Parcel Motel yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dub_Jim_Royle

seanie27 wrote: »

So Seanie27,

Any word yet and are you able to input Irish clubcard vouchers to avail of the discount...?

Cheers
    DJR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Guys would the Hudl be a better option than the currently reduced price Galaxy Tab 2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Lumi wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully ordered one of these using Parcel Motel yet?

Yes, I ordered one with Parcel Motel and it arrived yesterday. I put my PMID as part of my Surname when registering on Tesco Direct as you can edit addresses (you must select one from a list of known addresses at the postcode).

A note of caution, I also ordered a case and it was shipped separately so it incurred an extra delivery charge from both Tesco and PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

capistrano wrote: »
    Yes, I ordered one with Parcel Motel and it arrived yesterday. I put my PMID as part of my Surname when registering on Tesco Direct as you can edit addresses (you must select one from a list of known addresses at the postcode).

A note of caution, I also ordered a case and it was shipped separately so it incurred an extra delivery charge from both Tesco and PM.

how are you finding it so far?

cyberspi wrote: »
    how are you finding it so far?

Very happy with it. The only thing I'd complain about is that auto-rotation would intermittently not work but I installed the Ultimate Rotation Control app and it has been perfect ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭irishgeo

capistrano wrote: »
    Very happy with it. The only thing I'd complain about is that auto-rotation would intermittently not work but I installed the Ultimate Rotation Control app and it has been perfect ever since.

How much is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

So Seanie27,

Any word yet and are you able to input Irish clubcard vouchers to avail of the discount...?

Cheers
    DJR

Hi there. HAven't made the splash yet. Ended up getting two 3Q tablets (for the kids) for 99 euro in Powercity. And they're actually good. Fluid browsing, quick, IPS screen. Still tempted by the Hudl's good specs - will make a leap at christmas one way or the other though also tempted by Nexus 10 from simply electronics for 300.
    Still not sure in relation to the clubcard. Will try an dfind out.
    S.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cool Daddy

Hi,

Tried to order a Hudl from Tesco direct however it requires a UK credit card address to purchase - how did you get around this?

Cool Daddy wrote: »
    Hi,

Tried to order a Hudl from Tesco direct however it requires a UK credit card address to purchase - how did you get around this?

I just entered the parcel motel address as the billing address and it was accepted. I was prompted with a security question associated with my card so maybe this got around the address check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

Thanks, I just ordered one with Parcel Motel. Looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Cool Daddy

Thanks - did it take long to ship

Advertisement